Having spent many a lunch time setting on the wall behind Walmart watching the drift nets it is a issue. It is really easy to count how many fish the Sealions get. They will pop their heads out of the water and swim upstream toward a net watching and when they see the floats bob charge. If they get one the seagulls zoom in for scraps even if the sealions do not do the rip & splatter with the head shake. They are most deadly early in the fall and seem to really prefer Chinook. The other side of the coin that is when they get the first opportunity and are hungry. Later you go they are not as aggressive but greater numbers of fish. If the nets are not in they will follow the fish upstream but more seals do this, prefer Chum, and like to charge into a school or chase the fish into the shallows.

One thing I find weird is both sealions & seals prefer live fish and seldom take a dead fish out of a net. Now why they then are willing to rob one hanging dead as a door nail off the back of my boat is beyond me!

Edited by Rivrguy (07/17/19 11:32 AM)