Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
I'm hearing some complaining about the QIN netting schedule, late November and now into December...

Would sure like to be at the "season setting meeting"....

I posted the following on the "SCR" listing.....

I "heard" that the crab are being checked often for "soft shell". At this time there is not a QIN crab season taking place. I also heard that once the QIN starts their crab season.....its a 45 day period before the NT can start their season.

I also know that the in river "set and gill net season" is very liberal.....I did go to town, Aberdeen, and saw no gill net boats, only a few set nets. I've heard that many of the "long net fishermen", have hung their nets.....now choose to "do the crab fishery".

Nothing official about my post, just rumors and seeing whats going on in the river.

Chehalis River, where I fish, is about the same level as in September.....the river itself is so clear that I can count rocks on the bottom, in 5-6' of water.

I imagine the drift netters quit because of the gin clear water. Fish get super spooky under these conditions and I imagine success goes way down when fish can see the gauntlet coming. Seems like the late crab soft shell issue is becoming common. The commercial starts have been late the last couple years in a row.