Originally Posted By: snit
I had reeled-in a bunch when I was a young kid with the old man (from 3yo on), as he always had me with him wherever he went. Plugging out of his Whaler in the Columbia or in the drift boat on the West Side rivers. If he went drift fishing off a gravel bar I was always chasing birds with my BB gun, but he'd take a break and say "let's have a sandwich"..I'd amble over, and sometimes he'd hand me his rod to hold while he'd eat his sandwich, all the while he'd have a fish hooked, waiting for me to get over to him. Then I'd lose my chit when the rod would JERK as we'd talking, was so cool how he'd set me up like that!! I've done it with my son too.

1st winter run I drift fished up myself was in January 1984. It was actually a kelt summer run right below Snoqualmie Falls above the "Big Rock" on the restaurant side. 3rd cast with a #10 50/50 lettuce/tomato spin-n-glo. Snakey little spawned hen that I let go. We went to the OP on Presidents Day weekend after that and I caught several fish on the HOH and Sol Duc drift fishing if I remember correctly, plus several more trips that winter.

1st summer run I drift fished up myself was June 3 or 4 of 1984. It was a high water year. LOTS of fish in early that year. We were on the Reiter side of the Sky, and had driven in from the horse rental place. Several of you guys know as there are no secret spots up there. I'd been losing fish in the fastwater, but finally landed a dime bright 6-7# fish on #14 orange scale spin-n-glo.

Great story about your pops. That is what it is (was) all about.
SF