Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
http://www.chronline.com/news/chehalis-b...e0b17d196c.html
Unfortunately, flood mitigation comes at the direct expense of fish habitat. The 50:50 appropriation would simply cancel itself out and the state will have foolishly wasted $700 million over the course about three chinook life cycles. Forrest's mama said it best... stupid is as stupid does.
The most troubling part of the article?
“I think we could support this bill if we get some language in it, that I don’t need the word guarantee, but that dictates that we split the $700 million as equally as we can with flooding and habitat restoration,” said Harry Pickernell, board member and chairman of the Chehalis Tribe. “That’s the only concern the Chehalis might have.”
Tyson Johnston, representing the Quinault Indian Nation, agreed.

"Time tells all BUT Chehalis and QIN tribes might just hold the "winning hand"."

I don't really have a dog in this fight either, but living in the Upper Columbia Region where it seems Dams were dispensed like candies from a Pez dispenser...Francis & D-rifter bring up excellent points! Every few years, one of the local tribes is in litigation with the "Owner" of a Dam (most Dams over here had multiple investors at one time anyhow) over lost opportunities, habitat degradation, undervalued property adjustments, etc. Even though the majority of the population believes that the issue was already settled ($$$) in the past. It's never settled...ever!

Dimslee will always support his constituents and their hard earned "campaign contributions" from the slot machine/tribal-trail truck stop slush-fund. He's just a politician...