Bay Wolf, I believe the average sportsman is very selfish with their time and focus. Not much (if any) is donated to/for the enhancement of the resource, assuming instead that:

A) it's already a lost cause
B) Continue pointing finger at issues that are almost too monumental to change (tribes, dams, weather patterns, etc)
C) I better "get my share" before all the other user groups get the season shut down because I bought my license
D) I joined "Blank, Group, Assoc" and sent a check, so I've donated. Now get off my back! I want my share, and it better be a bigger share than yours! BTW, who wants to go crabbing, I've got SO MUCH freezer burnt salmon and steelhead??
E) They're just going to die..see "C"
F) Someone always helps out, it's always the retired guys. They need something to do, as I'm just too busy with my work, plus they've already seen it when it was really good!! "Hey man, want to fish every weekend like we have since college, cause we're almost 50 and we don't have wife/kids? Heck yeah, bro"?!

The only way to get more involved is to have more taken more away, IMO. Unless there's a tipping point, and then the focus is lost.