The Naselle - Willapa R hatchery thing just blows me away. Naselle has always been a substandard facitlity since the day it came on line, as I have been told. Forks Ck on Willapa R might not be the best hatchery in the WDFW inventory, but it is far and away the best in the Willapa region.

The ecology of Willapa tributaries is not optimally suited to natural Chinook production. This is the reason Chinook were the least abundant salmon in the basin historically, back in the pristine habitat days. The Willapa R doesn't have and never will have in the foreseeable future a naturally self-sustaining wild Chinook population of any significance. The Naselle may never do so either, but by nature of its stream channel morphology it is more likely than Willapa R. Meanwhile, Forks Ck is far and away better suited to culturing hatchery Chinook than is Naselle.

How can it not look like to any thinking person that WDFW has designed and proposes to further modify the Willapa policy to fail by every relevant metric?

This makes me want to go all out and UP THE REVOLUTION and DEFUND WDFW.