Originally Posted By: fish4brains
Originally Posted By: Salman
What meetings do I need to attend in order to change regulations?

probably should start with AA

No, save the AA meetings for when one gives up in frustration! One should probably start by developing a good relationship with a psychiatrist - someone to periodically bring you back to some semblance of normalcy.

For years WDFW had an annual opportunity for the public to submit rule change proposals. Very few of those which were submitted passed the initial staff review thereby making them in
eligible for further consideration.

Then Staff proposed to the Commission that the process be broken down into a rotating three year schedule to reduce Staff workload. The Commission approved with the result being that Marine and Shellfish regs would come up every third year. I believe the other two were East Side lakes and streams followed by West Side lakes and Streams.

As I recall that plan lasted for less than one full rotation with the last one to have been Marine and Shellfish. Instead it was changed to a Rule Simplification initiative. I believe that was in 2019. While that was intended to only be Staff submittals some were put in by the public to include one I put in late in the process. Although timely my submittal was not considered nor presented during the December 2019 Commission meeting in Bellingham as I was told that Staff needed to discuss it with LE. I was promised that my suggestion would be processed.

Well, it has been over nine months and despite several inquiries to that Deputy Director I have yet to receive any response indicating that my recommendation is being processed. That string has gotten so long my wife thinks I am a string hoarder.

Consequently, I have cancelled any further meetings with my shrink and am moving to self medication.

As to the OP's question it is seems clear that Staff/Commission have foregone any regularly scheduled opportunity for rule change proposals from the public.

However, there is an obscure process where WDFW can be petitioned for a rule change but I can't come up with the process right now.

Edited by Larry B (10/24/20 10:37 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)