Have to agree on the slinkie thing on a fly rod since as they say BTDT 20 years ago though.

After 25 years of fly fishing winter steelhead I have come to the conclusion that yes you can touch fish swinging flys on sink tips but in the very cold waters of winter steelhead rivers the fish are basically anchored to the bottom and will usually only move for a fly when it hits them on the noggin and irritates them.

I have now convinced myself that in these conditions that a right angle nymphing set up under an indicator will definitely produce more strikes since the fly is being slowed down by the weight and more natural drift through the rivers currents is obtained along which the steelhead usually align in the current breaks.

I proved it again the last two times out in December under cold water conditions. Started swinging no results after 4 hours changed to right angle nymph indicator set up and started touching fish in the same water.

Maybe its coincident but I am starting to think not and my friends are coming to the same deduction.

My 2 cents FWIW

FL