Originally Posted By: On The Swing
I float from Bingham hatchery to the west fork every 10 to 14 days.
My partner floats the west fork from the upper bridge down.
We also work the middle fork from the bridge to mouth and a float 6 miles down to Kelly rd bridge.
Please elaborate how my index areas are "missing things" or how a guy like Curt Holt as a wdfw Chehalis bio since 2012 with 20 years before that as the QIN bio doesn't know every inch of those streams and where we need to be. Plus we helicopter survey upper Chehalis Basin, the middle down to porter and any other areas curt wants to get a idea of what is happening, and buzz the QIN survey stretches to confirm data.

Have you guys every tried connecting with him to ask those questions..
Ever done a survey??

Seriously...Stop going down that road of reasoning because our 5 person crew busts facking arse out there to get the boot on the ground data to work with.

If ANYONE wants to come on a survey with me, contact me and I'll take you out on my own time to give you a crash course so at least yal can have some real experience in what your critiquing..Prepare to get worked hard.

I floated satsop springs today to the middle fork, saw about 300 coho mainly in pools hiding, about 100 or so fall chinook holding. And about 30 summer chinook

I had 1 fall chinook redd, active with fish
And about 14 summer chinook redds, (most of the ones below the s curves had summer kings on them...along with one chum male trying to spawn with the summers for some reason..

I shouldn't have to say that those fish counts and redd counts are WAY below what I should be seeing right now, I don't even have that many carcasses on the banks right now... I only sampled 4 fish today the whole way, all were fall kings that died prespawn...

The kings JUST showed up to Steven's creek hatchery on Wednesday, and rolled in about 2000 deep to the creek and the mouth area...Stevens creek above the bridge goes SUB-T on riffles...and there is NOTHING above that.
Donkey creek is SUBT-T at the mouth so no activity there, and I even walked from the mouth down to the donkey creek access, about 1.3 miles and saw 4 holding kings(hatchery) and 2 active redds with 3 fish between them.... it's a goddam ghost town in all the area we should be plugged with fish, and our trib creeks are a obvious no-go...
He'll, Steven's creek hatchery is questioning if they even have water to spawn fish... and yal KNOW this...

Fish are around, but they are moving up to the spawning stretches begrudgingly. Next week is gonna be a busy one for me because some of them will feel forced to hit the gravel....of course with current flows, sadly most of the action is in the deeper heavy current areas which ya know will scour first with a heavy freshet.

I'm not happy with how this year is going either, nobody in that damn office is but we can't make up fish that arent there

Swing. Thanks for your efforts. This being the case. How can tidewater and the bay be open for the recs, non tribal and tribal netters at all, period! This accurate survey info should have shut down the whole thing the first of the month!

Edited by RUNnGUN (10/15/22 07:27 AM)