Originally Posted By: Larry B
Not discussed here has been the tribal argument that the net pens adversely impacted tribal fishing rights.

Seems not all tribes are opposed to net pen rearing for commercial purposes. These pens are operated on the Colville Reservation. https://www.pacificseafood.com/species/steelhead/

Discussions seem to focus on "Non Native Species". Does that mean native species production will continue? Found this on NOAA.

"Following the failure of an Atlantic salmon net pen in 2018, the Washington Legislature decided to phase out Atlantic salmon net pens by 2022 and prohibit new aquaculture operations with non-native fish in state waters. Cooke Aquaculture, which operates net pens in Puget Sound, has proposed raising sterile native steelhead. Steelhead are rainbow trout that migrate to the ocean and back like salmon. In addition, the Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe is developing net pen aquaculture with sablefish (also known as Black cod), a species native to the Pacific Northwest."

At one time I thought net pens could be a silver bullet saving wild fish from commercial fishing. I still do, if done in a clean manner. I think net pen operations will adapt and continue to have a future even though competing commercial interests would like otherwise.

Watched Hilary Franz press conference. Found it funny, all the smolt killing cormorants in the background.

Edited by RUNnGUN (11/20/22 08:50 AM)