As RT stated I do have an 18 ft Harbercraft 12 degree vee. Just put the 150/105 pump on the back as I bought it with a 115/80 that we just flat wore out. The 150 is more than plenty of motor. The boat fishes 3 nicely and now with the new motor could fish 4 but it would be a squeeze. As for salt and fresh water I use it a lot in both places, very comfortable in the salt with the deep vee and have run all of the local rivers including some of the smaller ones like the Nisqually, the Nooch up to the Barrier and the Satsop up to the forks. Just have to watch the river levels and know what the boat will do. You are right to get an all around boat it will be a compromise. The one thing I will state emphatically if you decide on a jet is DON"T UNDERPOWER THE BOAT!!!! It will cost you in the long run, spend a few more bucks up front. Kinda like the Fram commercial "pay me now or pay me later". I would run any boat you plan on buying with at least 3 folks in it to check it out. If it does not run at least a 1000 RPM under max WOT to keep it on plane and running it is under powered. Trust me on this one I just learned this the hard way!!!
I fish a lot with my Dad who is 78 and a front console with a windshield and a top was a real high priority. If I had the money and storage space I would have a glass salt boat with a prop like the one I have and an open sled for the rivers. You have to consider what kind of fishing you want to do, are you a troller or a moocher in the salt, anchor up and pull plugs or boondog in the rivers?? Those are the things that you need to consider. Hope you find the right boat!!!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Jeffhead ]