Quote:
Originally posted by Smalma:
FNP-
Doc I wasn't attempting to pull anyones leg. I realize that coho have white fin tips but notice I was talking about adult chum. I remeber reading in a couple adult keys about the white fin tip and like I said I have never seen an adult coho with the same white tip that chum have. Not sure that your pictures with the pale edges are the same as a tip. The fish picture that Bob posts looks more like a tip but not sure about those white dots/drips.

First chance I'll do some more checking (suspect that several of us maybe looking a like more closely at some fish next fall). However as I often say our fish seem to be really adept at jumping out of boxes that we put them into. It may well be that this "white fin tip" is one of those boxes that fish jumped out of.

Best in the New Year
Curt
Well you got me interested now, Smalma.

I went back thru the last few years coho photos and this is what I found. Not one coho from the Kenai is sporting the white tip, but many of the coastal WA coho have it. Although it is present in both sexes, it seems to be more common in the bucks than hens.

And no, these are not just pale drip spots on fish just pulled out of the water... the white tip is for real, even on coho that are board stiff and dried out. What I notice is that the coho white-tip is quite a bit smaller than the prominent spot on a chum. Another difference is that virtually all chums have the white-tips on the ventral fins as well.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!