Originally Posted By: goharley
Originally Posted By: alanmikkelsen
Specifically, what rights has the right tried to restrict?
Can two women enjoy the same rights through marriage that a man and woman obtain? Can people without clothes on have the right to freedom of movement in a public park?

I won't get into the public nudity, as I think it's a bunch of sophmoric individuals clamoring for attention and I don't want to dignify that. As far as the right restricting marriage, I'm under the impression that a majority of people, including blacks, Hispanics, Catholics, Mormons, etc., all voted in favor of proposition 8 in California. Are those all rightists? These are these same people who elected Barack Obama, in many instances. Seems to me like this was a broad cross section of the population who decided they wanted to protect traditional marriage. I don't think anyone voted to take away any right.

So it boils down to this: Is this an attack by the right on civil unions or an attack by the left on traditional marriage? I'm just not convinced that I've seen much from the mainstream right that is trying to take established rights away from anyone. What I have seen in the public forum is a lot of vicioius anger directed at people who exercised their right to vote about something they felt needed to be preserved, traditional marriage. In fact, this is the second time it's been voted on in California. The left didn't like the first vote, so they sued to have it overturned, probably the same with the current vote.

Bottom line: Creed of the left---Let the will of the people be done, until it doesn't meet with our goals and criteria. Agree with us and you're enlightened, disagree and you're a bigot, facist or both.

Not much room for intelligent discourse within those parameters.