Originally Posted By: Dogfish
I think Mstar = Tater, might be wrong, and if it is Tater, he certainly is on the upper end of the QIN members who know how to hunt well. I know many QIN folks who hunt not only for themselves, but for family members and elders.

Back on topic, these elk were legally killed, per usual and accustomed, and they were in velvet. Yeah, it would have been nice to see what size the rack was, but it doesn't change the fact that the bulls were made of meat. If I am shopping and the price of meat is one .30-06 round, and I can get 400 pounds of meat, or 100 pounds of meat, I'll pull the trigger on the 400 pound package. Saves time butchering, which I've done a lot of lately.

Nobody shrieked about my boys shooting deer in velvet. Plus, we'll be hunting here in Washington, so it is very likely that 5 deer will be spending some time in my freezer, along with an elk. If we can eat 5 deer and an elk in a year, I don't see how hard it would be for a family to eat 2 elk.

Much ado about nothing. Move along folks, move along.

I can see your point. I just don't think it's necessary to pick the biggest males in the herd when food hunting. Just because you can, doesnt mean you have too......