Dave -
I agree that pinks on that lighter tackle can be a blast. However over the years I have noticed that once they begin staging at Humpy Hollow prior to running up the river they become less agressive and Chinook/coho tactics become less effective.

It is at that point that things like the dodger and squid become more effective; also those staging fish seem to hold deeper. However that doesn't mean that you can't still use lighter tackle. At that stage the fish seem to prefer slower troll speeds so it is easy to fish "0" dodgers on ligth steelhead tackle (10# line) off the downrigger with the appropriate release. Another option is use dummy flashers/dodgers of the downrigger ball with a standard kokanee outfit with a 4 inch dodger/squid set 4 feet or so above the dummy; that is my plan the next trip to the hollow and I suspect those "slimers" will be a handful.

In the same areas the some of the fish will school near the shore where they can provide some excellent sport on things like casted jigs/buzz bombs or flies though at the "hollow" the trolling game seems to be more consistent. If one is looking for the shore game on the inner sound you might try fishing off the typically sea-run cutthroat beach near the pink's home rivers. However the pinks will often be a little further off shore (especially at mid-day) so fishing from a boat might provide more consistent fishing.

Enjoy these excellent game fish; after all they are only hear every other year.

BTW - noticed on WDFW's website that on Sunday the Everett creel check was 261 boats with 8 Chinook, 20 coho and over a thousand pinks - game on!

Tight lines
Curt

Edited by Smalma (08/17/09 08:29 PM)