Originally Posted By: Todd
For some, this idea seems a little hard to grasp...but the math is easy, so I'll explain it for the fortieth time.

Assume that the gillnets they currently use have a 30% release mortality.

With the newer gear, if they knock that release mortality down to 5%, they will then fish long enough to catch SIX TIMES AS MANY WILD FISH, resulting in the EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF DEAD ESA SALMON...and much longer commercial seasons with many more hatchery fish harvested.

If you think that is good for fish or fishing, I've got a bridge to sell you, too.

Fish on...

Todd

HSRG reported less than 1.5% morality rates when they made their presentation at the Oregon Legislature last session. I defer to their figures until you or anyone else can prove otherwise. 5% handling rate is high for a seine capture. 12.5% is way low for tanglenets also. You continue to assert or assume that they will still be allowed to kill as many ESA fish as they have been in the past. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe by impacting fewer ESA fish the rates can then be lowered? Continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results is pure stupidity on the part of the managers. Yes your math works there.

I'm not blind to what you are saying. Its just that you are convinced the ESA allowable take will remain the same. I'm not but if it happens I'll buy you a steak and a drink to wash it down with. I have seen the mood changing slowly since CCA came into the picture. Like it or not Todd, they are the gorilla in the room and they are no longer ignored. CCA members. and not just $25 experts, now sit on most advisory groups and committees alongside other preferred groups. Many of them are retired biologists and scientists. I'll gladly pay the $25 until someone convinces me otherwise. So far they have not.

I saw this same nit picking, side choosing, back stabbing crap go on 25 years ago and told some guides the same thing. Keep fighting amongst yourselves. We are our own worst enemy and the gill netters love it.

As for the bridge, keep it, you may need it.

One more thing then I'm done. As the market gets saturated with fish the price goes down. They know it and they are not about to let that happen.

Edited by Jhook (08/12/10 11:33 PM)

Otherwise I'm retired!