Originally Posted By: freespool
Curtailment of harvest hasn't recovered the steelhead, in spite of over 25 years of "NO FISHING", yet we have dimbulbs saying that is what we need to do to recover dwindling stocks.

Like I said before, you dont live in Puget Sound. Tribes net in most of the rivers and they run gillnets or seines in the bay. I can remember back in 97 or 98. The department closed the humptulips for kings and then turned around and let the tribes net. Before we had a gamefish status for steelhead, non tribal was havesting them. Tribes came along and as soon as they fished with the force of the Boldt decision, the fishing trips to the skagit were reduced from limits to mostly skunk outings.
We didnt even have full no retention regulations in the PS rivers here until some time this last decade, so people were still catching and keeping wild steelhead. Then you have the poachers. How likely are we going to hear about steelhead bycatch if they cannot keep them? All it does for them is to light off a flare, that the dept will eventually be forced to respond to.
Its 2010 and some of these guys are still finding restaurants and grocers selling wild (hifins).

I take issue with your statement, that No FIshing has existed for 25 years, but others will have a better recall on the dates and time periods I referred to. Once again, even no fishing, isnt enough for recovery. The dimbulbs just are not going to ignore harvest issues anymore. There is a lot more at stake than your safe areas. Commercials manage to catch plenty of our fish in Ak and BC with seines, gillnets and trollers. If WE cannot show responsible harvest management, the folks that want to create Marine Reserves will have a much stronger case.