Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Oh I get it.

You going to go sit up on top of a mountain & shoot little tiny backtail deer @ 500-1000 yards like stick do ? That's why he sets his rifles up w/ the spin o matic turret. So go get all comfortable, laser range your prey, dial in said elevation & shoot em their beds.

wow.

c/22

Extreme oversimplification to say the least.

wink

Three words.
Wind, Wind, Wind.

Watching the current crop of long range hunting shows where they are dumping animals at a thousand yards makes a lot Newbs think that all they have to do is range the critter, spin the elevation turret and touch off the shot then call the taxidermist.

The effects of wind or even a slight breeze on your bullet at ranges over 500 yards is unbelievable.

Find a windy day to practice those long shots on and you'll quickly see what I mean.

The problem lies in accurately detecting wind characteristics "over there" as thermals or sudden gusts drift your bullet resulting in misses or much worse, wounded and lost game.
Under calm, steady conditions I've taken bucks out to 668 yards and a several at about 500, but even those ranges are too far in unpredictable settings.

I love my .257 wby mag, it shoots like a laser, but I will either pass, or stalk closer on anything over 500 yards anymore.
I work too hard to lose trophy animals to "stunt shooting".

Plenty of more highly skilled riflemen than myself out there and I ain't criticising them, just stating my own personal limitations.