Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Watching the first link and article where the recovering gear angler created the PD to simulate a metalic plug or spoon gets me to thinking about this whole craze among so many newer converts to fly fishing who basically seem to want to gear fish with fly rods. First came the bobber and jig nymphing technique and now plugs and spoons are added to the mix. It does cause me to wonder why they pick up a fly rod.

That is quite a lot to deduce from a shiny fly smile

Where then is the line between those that do it right and those that do it wrong?

Personally I think it has less to do with wanting to "fish gear with a fly rod" and more to do with flyfishers wanting to catch fish for a change.

Is adding fish attracting/catching characteristics to a fly really that frowned upon in the old school? If so, it really isn't about the process or even the end result, but rather more about being in the club I guess.

I continue to think these class and style distinctions are ridiculous anyhow. At the end of the day are we not all using a rod, reel, line and lure and trying to catch a fish?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."