Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
Originally Posted By: Larry B
If you fish out of Pt. Defiance be sure that if you are questioned by a WDFW fish checker that you ensure that they ask you where you caught your fish rather than allowing them to assume any fish were caught in MA11 (when they might have been caught in MA 13). Accuracy in creel surveys is critical.

I have been checked by enforcement in nearly every Marine area at least 15-20 times. I have never been surveyed by a fish checker. I have seen them while heading out a few times. They must go home early.

This is a broken system. It’s even worse in fresh water. Every Chinook counted is multiplied by 8 to 9 times and rising. It goes up every year go look at the Sport catch report. Turning in a full card adds 256 Fish to the Sport tally.
People from out of town, kids, one time fishers etc. are not turning there cards in which causes this rate to go up. I still remember when they doubled the reported catch, those were the good old days.

The point of my post was to encourage fishers to ensure that IF they are contacted by a fish checker that they are asked where the fish was caught. Reason? There was some concern that folks coming in to Pt. Defiance with fish were presumed to have caught those fish in MA 11 when some had actually been caught in MA 13.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)