#999922 - 12/29/18 10:44 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

Correct, CM.

#999934 - 12/30/18 02:38 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Lifter99]
RtndSpawner Offline
Parr

Loc: Mason
So, let me see if I'm getting this straight. The state gets $450,000 for the "surplus" fish for all the hatcheries or just the Voight's Creek Hatchery? Then to top it off, they money received for this goes to the state general fund and not the WDFW. In the mean time the very streams that need these nutrients as part of a natural process have been short changed for decades because they are deemed what comes down to a biohazard. Then, to top it off, all the brain trust at WDFW can't figure why our fish runs have continued to decline. With that mindset our runs will continue to decline to a trivial amount unless changes to business as usual are made now.

Here's a penny for thought. Here's a golden opportunity for some of the fishermen's groups (CCA, PSA, etc.) get together and bid the contract for the "surplus" fish. Then gather volunteers from these organizations to recycle to all the streams, not just a few. Yes, there are some legal loopholes and challenges to overcome but it is doable. This would be a win-win for the fish and great PR for the sportsmen. Heck, you could most likely get the tribes involved.

#999936 - 12/30/18 03:11 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

My understanding is that the $450,000 is for all the hatcheries and it does go into the general fund. My understanding also is that there has been some thought from the volunteer group(s) about writing a grant to the Puyallup tribe to buy all the fish at Voight's Creek. It would be a benefit for everyone and the fish.

#999940 - 12/30/18 04:32 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: RtndSpawner]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: RtndSpawner
So, let me see if I'm getting this straight. The state gets $450,000 for the "surplus" fish for all the hatcheries or just the Voight's Creek Hatchery? Then to top it off, they money received for this goes to the state general fund and not the WDFW. In the mean time the very streams that need these nutrients as part of a natural process have been short changed for decades because they are deemed what comes down to a biohazard. Then, to top it off, all the brain trust at WDFW can't figure why our fish runs have continued to decline. With that mindset our runs will continue to decline to a trivial amount unless changes to business as usual are made now.

Here's a penny for thought. Here's a golden opportunity for some of the fishermen's groups (CCA, PSA, etc.) get together and bid the contract for the "surplus" fish. Then gather volunteers from these organizations to recycle to all the streams, not just a few. Yes, there are some legal loopholes and challenges to overcome but it is doable. This would be a win-win for the fish and great PR for the sportsmen. Heck, you could most likely get the tribes involved.

You forgot that the hatchery fish WDFW is selling have already been bought and paid for with our license fees. They sold OUR fish...

#999942 - 12/30/18 04:58 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

That is true_WW_. We have paid our share. Now the tribe should pay. They will benefit also.

#999955 - 12/30/18 09:22 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I think the money goes to a special fund (Carcass and Egg Sales) and that, or at least specific amount, is funneled back to the Salmon Enhancement groups. At least it used to be that way.

#999961 - 12/30/18 10:49 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

CM, I hope you are right but I heard from a couple of the lead guys (who I know well) for the volunteers at Voight's that is goes into the general fund.

#999963 - 12/30/18 11:10 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Elijah Offline
Parr

My understanding is that the money goes to the 14 RFEGs. Regardless of where it goes they are an priceless resource that belongs in the river as an essential nutrient.

#999965 - 12/30/18 11:33 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: RtndSpawner]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: RtndSpawner

HAHA...HAHAHAHAHA....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

"Fishermen's groups (CCA, PSA, etc) get together...funny, very funny!

#999999 - 12/31/18 03:15 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf

Sport fishermen abhor each other's different methods of fishing and can never unite because of it. And while we fvck around insulting each other our opportunities are eroding to nothing.

For the longest time I thought it was just apathy...in hindsight it's plain to see that it is nothing but stupidity.

You'll only get the fishing you fight for. No fight, no fishing.

#1000012 - 01/01/19 09:45 AM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: _WW_]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: _WW_
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf

Sport fishermen abhor each other's different methods of fishing and can never unite because of it. And while we fvck around insulting each other our opportunities are eroding to nothing.

For the longest time I thought it was just apathy...in hindsight it's plain to see that it is nothing but stupidity.

You'll only get the fishing you fight for. No fight, no fishing.

Three thumbs up.

Stupidity caused by ego centric leadership and an addiction to prestige.

It becomes a head swell to be allowed into the inner circle of the "the fish mafia", and fish be damned.

No fight, no fishing...yes. But the MAJORITY of guys reading this post are still waiting for the other guy to do the fighting.

#1000047 - 01/02/19 09:12 AM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

I got a message from Mr. Garner who is the State president of PSA (Puget Sound Anglers). He said that their group(s) does recycling of carcasses. They don't get any money from the selling of the carcasses and he doesn't know of any other groups that get any of the money. It goes to the general fund (or WDFW). He mentioned that all commercial license fees go into the general fund. They want more carcasses recycled into the rivers and creeks.

#1000080 - 01/02/19 01:12 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

There is a lot of incorrect information being shared here about the use of excess fish carcasses and eggs from WDFW facilities. Here is the real situation. Fish carcasses and eggs from WDFW facilities are used for three purposes: nutrient enhancement, donations to food banks to meet high quality protein needs of economically depressed people (some fish may also be provided to the Dept. of Corrections to feed prisoners), and sale to a salmon processor to generate revenue for the Regional Fisheries Enhancement Group (RFEG) Program.

The disposition of funds from the sale of the salmon carcasses and eggs is prescribed by RCW 77.12.177 (5): "(5) Proceeds from the sale of salmon carcasses and salmon eggs from state general funded hatcheries by the department shall be deposited in the regional fisheries enhancement group account established in RCW 77.95.090."

A pretty substantial process was undertaken back in 2010 to determine the best use of these fish and carcasses based on a directive included in the the Washington State Legislature's 2010 Supplemental Operating Budget. The department was directed to "work with appropriate stakeholders to facilitate the disposition of salmon to best utilize the resource, increase revenues to regional fisheries enhancement groups, and enhance the provision of nutrients to food banks.” A report titled "Recommendations Regarding the Utilization of Hatchery Returns of Salmon in Excess of Hatchery Production Goals" explains, among other things, the history of use of the carcasses and eggs, how other entities like states and tribes use their excesses, the process chosen to meet the requirements of the legislature, and a WDFW proposal for how to meet the legislative directive. It can be found at the following link:

Use of surplus from WDFW facilities

#1000084 - 01/02/19 01:39 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks OncyT. I left before the new review.

#1000128 - 01/02/19 06:33 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the info, Oncy.

#1000184 - 01/03/19 01:43 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Elijah Offline
Parr

What Oncy posted is exactly what I found in my research with some additional information that I was unaware of. He knows his stuff and I respect his posts because I have found that the information that he provides is accurate. I think oncy has some tribal affiliation also based on my reading of his posts many years ago.
I also agree with oncy that there is bad information being spread here on this website and post. Particularly by one or few individuals who continue to state things as if they are fact when in reality they are not.
Oncy, I would ask who is in charge of how the dead carcasses get distributed among the groups. The reason that I ask is that according to my research there are many rivers that currently do zero nutrient enhancement. There is no transparency involved in this process and I feel like the persons in charge rivers that have no nutrient enhancement should be fired.

Edited by Elijah (01/03/19 01:50 PM)

#1000208 - 01/03/19 02:35 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

If you want to do a carcass distribution project you (a group) needs to make a proposal. What hatchery, how many fish, and where to put them. Formerly, this was all handled from Olympia with a single point of statewide contact. Now, it has been regionalized. So, find a river with a hatchery on it and develop a project.

But, remember that the fish health concerns and rules over transfers could very well preclude moving fish. Lots of fish, for example, come back to Issaquah Hatchery. They would probably have to stay within the Lake WA system at the very broadest.

The final decision on a project, last I heard, was made by the Regional Fish Program Manager.

#1000211 - 01/03/19 03:01 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Elijah]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Elijah, I have generally quit posting here, but will answer a couple of comments as well as I can before going back into retirement. First of all I am no longer affiliated with any group or political entity although I spent a career working mostly in Indian Country. Secondly, if you are looking for someone to fire in a particular river, I think you are out of luck. To my knowledge, there is no one in charge of this in every river, so the work has been taken on by various groups - sometimes tribes, sometimes RFEG's, sometimes sportmen's groups (Does WDFW do this on their own anywhere?...I don't know. Maybe someone currently or formerly with the department will respond.).

#1000258 - 01/03/19 11:45 PM Re: Nisqually Chum and Closed water [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
If you want to do a carcass distribution project you (a group) needs to make a proposal. What hatchery, how many fish, and where to put them. Formerly, this was all handled from Olympia with a single point of statewide contact. Now, it has been regionalized. So, find a river with a hatchery on it and develop a project.

But, remember that the fish health concerns and rules over transfers could very well preclude moving fish. Lots of fish, for example, come back to Issaquah Hatchery. They would probably have to stay within the Lake WA system at the very broadest.

The final decision on a project, last I heard, was made by the Regional Fish Program Manager.

Ah, regionalization! When I asked about the actual number of advisory groups, their pertinent information, and why they weren't all listed on the WDFW webpage (https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/) I was told they didn't know because of decentralization (the Sgt. Schultz response). Funny about that webpage which reads in part:

"Advisory group meetings are open to the public. For each advisory group, WDFW has created a webpage, where anyone who is interested in the committee can find more information such as committee rosters, mission statements, meeting schedules and agendas. Individuals interested in joining an advisory group should check that committee's webpage for more information."

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |