Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100036 - 11/28/00 12:36 AM Worst Slump Ever
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since the third of november Ive been in the worst slump ever.

Ive fished seventeen days this month and havent caught a Steellie since the third of November.I went to four to five fish days on summerruns to zilch!

I thought I was onto one of my best years ever but I gues not. I cant figure out the problem.

I hope this ends soon because my fishing buddies are starting to dislike me. Everytime I go out with them they get skunked to.

I havent done anything wrong but it seems that the fish gods a punishing me? Im starting to loose my confidence.

I cant satisfy my addiction without catching a steelie at a minimum of once a week. Im starting to go nutts and if this dosent end soon I dont know what will happen.

Does anyone know if there are support groups for people with my problem?

#100037 - 11/28/00 01:08 AM Re: Worst Slump Ever
banki Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Montesano, WA
I am kind of in the same boat as you, I have been skunked the last 5 times i have gone fishing. Its making me want to fish everydaylight hour now to get the pleasure of hooking into a steelie and ending my slump. this rain might help out yours and my slump.

#100038 - 11/28/00 01:42 AM Re: Worst Slump Ever
Ryan Sedy Offline
Parr

Loc: Aberdeen, WA, USA
Hey dont feel bad i know a guy who has went out this whole year and has only caught two little trout, I think he gives me bad luck. i try and help this guy out as much as i can but it seems like it doesnt help like hes fisherman incompitant, i dont know? actually come to think of it this guy has never hooked into a salmon or steely. At least he trys i guess. One of my goals is to get him to hook into a winterun, maybe he just needs that first fish.

Ryan Sedy

#100039 - 11/28/00 03:52 AM Re: Worst Slump Ever
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Been there, done that!!!!......Forget the steelhead, go for salmon.......most rivers in the state its a "little early" for "good" winter run steelheading.

A 14+ silver this time of the year can be a nice, nice fish.....and a way to break the string of "bad luck"

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#100040 - 11/28/00 11:40 AM Re: Worst Slump Ever
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Don't get too discouraged over your slump - that is to be expected around this time of year, especially with old summer runs.

Think about it. You're fishing for fish that have been in the river a really long time. The fish that are still left, are going to be fairly smart and very hook shy. Think of how many gear presentations have swung past them. Also, these fish are getting old, tired, and just want to spawn. Toss in to that the simple fact that the rivers are getting very cold now. Cold rivers = sluggish fish.

You're not off the hook, though! Once the winter brats come in, you no longer have these excuses! You're OK for the next week or two! After that, I can't help you

Parker

#100041 - 11/28/00 06:47 PM Re: Worst Slump Ever
RichH Offline
Parr

Loc: Salem, OR
At least you're getting out. All my fishing these days is being done vicariously through this chat room..Hopefully by the time the winter fish are in I'll have less work and more fishing. Keep on trying.

------------------

#100042 - 11/28/00 10:25 PM Re: Worst Slump Ever
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Yup, there is nothing worse than being in a huge slump, and there is nuthing better than hooking a fish to end it. Confidence is everything, and its definetly something im lacking right now. I havent hooked a fish since Oct. 30th! Im starting to worry. lol
Nothing like a chrome winter hatchery fish to end the streak.

Here's hoping

- BW
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#100043 - 11/29/00 01:06 AM Re: Worst Slump Ever
Humpy Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett WA USA
Howdy,
My take on this subject is that if you talk to any serious steelheader, they will probably be able to tell you about the wall. Just when you think you got the skills to take fish on a regular basis, the bottom falls out. It's likely that this period is the fish God's way of giving you an easy out, certainly if one continues to practice the sport at that point, they are in for the long haul. Try to pay mind to what others are scoring fish on and get lots of P.M.A.(positive mental attitude)

#100044 - 11/29/00 11:54 AM Re: Worst Slump Ever
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
My advice is make a cast and pay NO attention to it. Set your pole down and start tying hooks or looking through your buddies tackle box. Start counting the trees, watch the little dippers. Pay No attention to the cast you just made. A fish will surely strike. Now getting that hook set, well I got you partially out of the slump. "The Slump" is like a golfer that --do I dare say it with the "Shanks"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 494 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |