LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100170 - 11/29/00 05:02 PM Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
I just got done reading an article in the latest issue of STS that shows a driftboat running one diver down the center and two plugs out the sides. I usually run two bait divers with sandshrimp in the early season for brats and switch over to straight plugs when the nates start showin' and during C&R season. Haven't fished 'em both at the same time enough to really know if it makes much of a difference. I am just wondering what you guys like to use and if you run bait divers and plugs at the same time. Thanks for your input.

Justin
CEO, Sauk River Steelhead Ranch

#100171 - 11/29/00 05:27 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
hi justin, never really done both for steelhead never really fished for steelhead but have done both for spring king on the santiam and alsea they seem to work fine together no problems would run the diver inside or out depending on what warranted bottom structure or current diffarance

#100172 - 11/29/00 06:22 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Right on, Doug. How are you doing? I am going to be "field testing" the Sky and Snoqualamie this weekend. Hopefully I'll find some fish. I'll call you when they start showin' good and we'll go get some.

Justin

#100173 - 11/29/00 07:16 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
RichH Offline
Parr

Loc: Salem, OR
Justin

I've run both at the same time with pretty good results. I've done with the configuration you described as well as the opposite and have found it actually works out well to find out what they really want to eat on any given day.

If I'm fishing a day where I have half a chance of hooking a nate I'll only run plugs to keep incidental mortality down to a minimum. Can't be too careful.

------------------

#100174 - 11/29/00 07:31 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Kev Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell, Wa
I read the same article, very interesting article overall. I'll probably be on the Skykomish as well saturday, might have to give it a try. I agree with Rich, if there is a chance any Nates are around, I'll stick with Plugs.

Kev

#100175 - 11/29/00 08:22 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Sounds like you only have two rods out. If you want to run both, put the plug on the shoreside rod and run the diver about eight feet further back. This has worked in the past, but maybe it doesn't matter?

#100176 - 11/30/00 12:54 AM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Thank you Doug, RichH, Kev, and Hohwaiian for the replies. I try to run as many rods as there are guys in the boat as often as possible. Loomis 930's and 9000's are my weapons of choice. Most of the time I run three.

I have always tried to follow the concept of using bait with bait and plugs with plugs. The reason I run only two divers is because I have had too many tangles when pulling three Hot'n'Tots. The 'Tots really seem to move around all over the place. Three Jet Divers, not as bad, and no real tangles to speak of with three Hot Shots or Tadpollys.

I guess my reasoning for using one method or the other is based on not wanting to spook wary steelhead with a plug thats going bugs**t right next to my tasty sandshrimp or egg offering.

Try this scenario. You have two bait divers out the sides and a plug down the middle or vice versa. The steelhead sees an/or hears the plug(s) coming and freaks out and moves out of the plugs way. Along comes the tasty sandshrimp. Does the fish want to eat the bait now that it has been disturbed by the plug?

I'm sure there are times when the steelhead gets so spooked by the plug that it leaves the hole completely, rendering the bait divers useless. Other times the agressive little bugger will skip the bait and just flat out peppers the plug.

The article in STS stated that the fish will sometimes move from the plug and then take the neighboring bait. Maybe the plug even excites the steelhead enought that it starts to get anxious and starts a chompin' when the bait comes by. The variables are endless. Sorry to sound so paranoid, but that article in STS really got me thinking about using these methods together. It probably just amounts to personal preference in the long run. Just wanted to hear what others are doing.

I'd also like to state that when mostly nates are present, I run plugs. Keep 'em on film not in the freezer. Peace

Justin

#100177 - 11/30/00 08:44 AM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
RichH Offline
Parr

Loc: Salem, OR
Justin,

I should mention that when running two plugs and bait, I generally run the bait down the middle and the plugs on the sides with the bait one extra time across the reel to get it back a little further. One year when I was fishin for summers I had a bite start on one of the baits and then quit and then it just killed a green pirate. Wound up being a very nice springer.

------------------

#100178 - 11/30/00 10:55 AM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Yo Saukit2, I believe we ran into each other last night at Ted's while you were getting spooled. I have mixed it up as described while fishing salmon. If I've got three guys in the boat =seasoned fisherman. Its up to each on what plug or diver set up they want to run. 95% of the time its three Kwikies. However, a mag wart may be on one rod, Kwikie on the other, and baitdiver w/shrimp or eggs. It has produced. This works as long as the rower can keep them all untangled and working. If not, I ususally keep mine in the sweet water-kidding. If it does not work it means we got to sync. up.

Something struck me funny about that article and one other-these techniques that were being described=running plugs, drifting a puff ball, boondogging(I guess they called it "side Drifting")eggs-were claimed as "California Techniques". One of the low water techniques, running a fly behind a bait diver sounded pretty kewl.

See ya on the river

[This message has been edited by Coho (edited 11-30-2000).]

#100179 - 11/30/00 04:11 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks, RichH and Coho. Coho, yes that was me, the infamous SAUKit2em, at Ted's last night. It was nice meeting you. I frequent that place quite a bit as those guys are friendly and helpful with a good sense of humor. The guys there refer to me as "World Famous" which is a nickname that I've been trying to shake for about a year now. It all started when my picture and name appeared in Fishing and Hunting news for the umteenth time. I don't know if they'll ever let me live that one down.

Thanks again for the replies, guys. RichH, I think that is a good idea to run the diver out the middle a little bit further than the plugs. We'll see how everything works out this weekend. Peace

Justin
CEO, Sauk River Steelhead Ranch (Which might turn into the Mustang Ranch this spring since the Sauk is closing in March and April - gotta have something to do if we can't fish*jk*)

#100180 - 11/30/00 04:51 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Looks like you have something to fiddle with as I'm on the sticks this weekend!

No guarantees that I won't "pull a Elparquito" and mess everything up with my less-than-expert abilities when it comes to rowing!

Parker

#100181 - 11/30/00 05:47 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Parker, I'm not going to make you pull plugs this weekend. Too much work, besides you don't want to widen in the shoulders and be all buff, do ya? *jk* You need to learn the fine art of rowing while side drifting first. Practice makes perfect. Good luck tomorrow with Robbin and your wife. Peace

Justin

#100182 - 11/30/00 11:04 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Swami Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett,Wa
SAUKit2em for the early brats I run divers on both sides, one with eggs the other with Sandshrimp. Center I use my most productive plug. First bite change over all to the same set up. I put everthing out exactly the same distance. I've had a few fish eat two divers at the same time. The Brats are starting to show so good luck.

#100183 - 12/01/00 12:07 AM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Justin,

One of my favorite things to do no matter how many people are on the river is pull off to the inside anchor up fish the whole run with eggs, then shrimp. Water temp and color is the most major factor to decide wether I use bait divers or plugs. If the water is 34-41 degrees I will definatly pull all plugs and I love the small hot-n-tots, winter fish kill them, and also don't forget about Bagleys both of these plugs work killer in the lower clear water where rattles aren't neccessary. But drifting bait first, then plugging a stretch works great. I've also found that plugging a stretch 2-3 times works good also. Those winter fish are sometimes sluggish and may need to look at a plug or bait diver more than once to excite them. Think about it, it's usual that you catch winterruns on the second or third cast when drifting eggs as long as all presentations are perfect.

------------------

#100184 - 12/01/00 09:01 PM Re: Bait Divers, Plugs, or both - what do you use?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks again to everybody for the replies. Hit three steelies this morning one of which was on a bait diver. Only two of us so I just ran straight bait divers. Two adults and child in the front seat tomorrow. My back and shoulders are gonna be hurtin'. I'll try mixing it up with a plug down the center. I fish out of a black Thor Built drift boat. Say hi if you see me on the river. Peace

Justin

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, DrifterWA), 1083 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |