LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1002319 - 01/28/19 09:40 PM Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first!
GoldDigger Offline
Returning Adult

Now legal to kill Sea Lions!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/us/sea-lions-killed-save-salmon-trnd/index.html

"(CNN)Animal control in the western United States just got more extreme.

A new law allows people to kill sea lions that have been devouring the region's endangered salmon and steelhead -- as long as they first get a permit.

The law, passed by Congress and signed by President Trump last month, changes the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 to lift protections on California sea lions in the Columbia River, the Willamette River and their tributaries. "

#1002320 - 01/28/19 09:54 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Is it April Fools Day?

Wait!
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#1002328 - 01/28/19 10:57 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
If this is real and I can't believe that it is, I am going to shoot the chit outta some water puppies. Right in front of some snobby Mercer Island sail boaters and their young, impressionable children. Put it's head on the Shilshole metal Viking & dragon sword to serve as a warning to the others. Oh the wailing and the gnashing of the teeth to be had.

#1002338 - 01/29/19 07:57 AM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
The report is very vague. Are they legit going to be issuing permits to John Q Public?

I don't see any possible undesirable outcomes from doing that! lol
I want to be a fisherman.

#1002343 - 01/29/19 09:33 AM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
It also said the Columbia and tributaries so the sound would not be included in this.

#1002356 - 01/29/19 12:20 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: NickD90]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: NickD90
If this is real and I can't believe that it is, I am going to shoot the chit outta some water puppies. Right in front of some snobby Mercer Island sail boaters and their young, impressionable children. Put it's head on the Shilshole metal Viking & dragon sword to serve as a warning to the others. Oh the wailing and the gnashing of the teeth to be had.

Good idea, I see no downside to this method of winning over the non-fishing public. This brilliant idea certainly can only come from the brain of a PR executive of the highest order.

#1002357 - 01/29/19 12:24 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: BW]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: BW
It also said the Columbia and tributaries so the sound would not be included in this.

Sea lions are a much bigger issue in the Columbia. In the Sound, it's mostly (still protected) harbor seals, right?

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the permits will be issued, very sparingly, to a few individuals NOT named John Q. Public.

#1002368 - 01/29/19 12:45 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I want to be a fisherman.

#1002369 - 01/29/19 12:46 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The article is super not accurate...only those with permits and in very limited areas can kill sea lioins!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1002371 - 01/29/19 12:47 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Don't know how well turning John Q. Public loose on pinnipeds would work but when pythons first became a problem in S Florida the Good ol Boys said "Just give us a chance and well get 'em". They had the chance and got damn few in total. Even when folks went looking for radio-tagged individuals they often could not find them until they stepped on them.

Imagine all the DarkSiders down below Bonneville shooting sea lions...

#1002378 - 01/29/19 12:59 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

Imagine all the DarkSiders down below Bonneville shooting sea lions...

On that prospective characterization I have decided to cancel my motel reservations. Bummer..... rofl

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1002401 - 01/29/19 03:16 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Gunna skip me sum lead pills acrossin dat pond and chomp me some of dat lion blubber.

#1002410 - 01/29/19 05:16 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Looking for a Nez Pierce guy w/permit to sit on the bow of my Predator this year while Springer fishing. No charge but you will be able to keep all the blubber.

Springers follow me even when I'm not catching for some reason.

fp

#1002430 - 01/30/19 10:02 AM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Read a Cnn article back in November about a dozen or so sea lions that have washed up in the Seattle area from gunshot wounds or other trauma. Sorry it isn't worth the $30,000 fine and up to a year in jail just to make a point. @sshats.

#1002435 - 01/30/19 10:39 AM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: SpoonFed]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: Spoonfedhead
Read a Cnn article back in November about a dozen or so sea lions that have washed up in the Seattle area from gunshot wounds or other trauma. Sorry it isn't worth the $30,000 fine and up to a year in jail just to make a point. @sshats.

You can thank our friends down at the 1st Ave bridge launch for that service. They are immune, so no worries.

#1002469 - 01/30/19 12:57 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: NickD90]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: NickD90
Originally Posted By: Spoonfedhead

You can thank our friends down at the 1st Ave bridge launch for that service. They are immune, so no worries.

The news media certainly did not want to include those folks in any speculation as to how those critters ended up dead on the beach. Funny how that goes......

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1002481 - 01/30/19 02:19 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Good thing that not just any Joe Shmoe can go out and off these Sea lions. Imagine a bunch of drunks out there slinging lead.

#1002489 - 01/30/19 02:42 PM Re: Lock N' Load..just get your Sea Lion permit first! [Re: GoldDigger]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Whew I am at a little more ease with that. Lol

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |