Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1002728 - 02/04/19 10:33 AM Puyallup River Boat Launches
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/community/puyallup-herald/article225308375.html

Nice ideal, but about 30 + years too late as far as fishing goes.
SF

#1002742 - 02/04/19 11:43 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: stonefish
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/community/puyallup-herald/article225308375.html

SF

Thirty years ago there was some level of access on the Puyallup for all users.

In addition to additional river access the members of the Pierce County Outdoor Sports and Recreation Council (OSRC) are looking into additional salt water access. Overcoming institutional governmental inertia is a challenge!

The OSRC is only a year old and has a wide range of volunteers representing fishers (PSA, CCA, TU), paddle sports, hunters/shooters, trail bikers, hikers, and ATV folks among others.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1002791 - 02/05/19 09:24 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
WaFlyCaster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Agreed. With the minimal seasons and retention it doesn't help out sport fisherman much. Also agree with Larry, there used to be great access but they have since blocked most of it off.

Maybe the groups mentioned can work on negotiating our seasons back so that fisherman can actually get some use out of the launches being installed.

#1002792 - 02/05/19 09:51 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: Larry B]
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: Larry B

SF

Thirty years ago there was some level of access on the Puyallup for all users.

In addition to additional river access the members of the Pierce County Outdoor Sports and Recreation Council (OSRC) are looking into additional salt water access. Overcoming institutional governmental inertia is a challenge!

The OSRC is only a year old and has a wide range of volunteers representing fishers (PSA, CCA, TU), paddle sports, hunters/shooters, trail bikers, hikers, and ATV folks among others.

You used to see a few boats on the Puyallup, but not a ton.
I agree a lot of the access to the river has been lost.

Interesting regarding the saltwater access.
I wish them the best of luck with that but after the PNP launch fiasco, I won't get my hopes too high.
SF

#1002797 - 02/05/19 11:05 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: WaFlyCaster]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: WaFlyCaster
Agreed. With the minimal seasons and retention it doesn't help out sport fisherman much. Also agree with Larry, there used to be great access but they have since blocked most of it off.

Maybe the groups mentioned can work on negotiating our seasons back so that fisherman can actually get some use out of the launches being installed.

If we do not have access there is limited rationale for putting resources into developing and managing a fishery - both fresh and salt water.

As far as Pierce County salt water access goes the only remaining all tide launch available to the general public on a pay to play basis on the eastern shore is Point Defiance and it has suffered a reduction in available parking; parking being a common theme.

There are no other all tide trailer boat launches in Pierce County's eastern shore south of Point Defiance given that Metro Parks closed the former Tacoma Outboard Associations launch at Titlow Beach and the owners of Narrows Marina have restricted use of its launch to patrons of their storage operation (due to liability issues created by impaired drivers ending up in the water and being pilloried by The News Tribune).

So what could be done south of the Narrows? Pierce County needs to amend its Chambers Bay plan to return its commitment to a multi-lane launch at that facility. Such a launch was promised to the public when the County sought support to purchase the former gravel pit but recently was downgraded to a kayak type launch.

One additional tidbit. The Seattle office of the Corps of Engineers recently acknowledged that they have 780 permit applications under review and the next to oldest in their hopper is PNP. That is simply unacceptable!

Finally, let me say that those groups I mentioned have been actively involved in trying to maintain and improve fishing opportunities. To intimate otherwise does them a disservice - intentionally or otherwise.

#1002799 - 02/05/19 11:35 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
King of the Beach

I don't think anyone is disparaging these organizations. I appreciate their efforts.
I'm all for more access, but access doesn't mean much to me if there aren't fish to fish for or seasons available.

I caught my first steelhead ever on the Puyallup 50 years ago last month.
I'd truly like the opportunity to fish for steelhead there again sometime in my life, but I don't hold out much hope for that access or not.

As far as saltwater goes, it seems the easy default by many government agencies regardless of the original plans is to lets just put in kayak or day use facilities and we don't have (as many) hassles with the permitting process, or the costs.
The PNP launch situation is totally ridiculous. It is being utilized, but not for its intended purpose.
SF

Edited by stonefish (02/05/19 11:35 AM)

#1002802 - 02/05/19 12:08 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

I don't think anyone is disparaging these organizations. I appreciate their efforts.SF

It wasn't your post that concerned me.

In writing "Maybe the groups mentioned can work on negotiating our seasons back so that fisherman can actually get some use out of the launches being installed." the poster infers that those organizations are not and have not been working on those very issues.

There is plenty of room at the table for those unhappy with the current situation to become involved and help effect change.

#1002808 - 02/05/19 01:17 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10

Just sayin: Access (to me) means access for ALL, not just fishers, at a WDFW site. (I understand you said "to me", but) the bigger picture is that when an existing water access is lost, the permitting process to restore it (or develop a new access) is AGAINST doing so. The gov't process supports eliminating accesses, not promoting access to the public. I wish birders, fishers, kayakers, beach combers, clammers, would all unite and not be so self-serving.

We all know navigable waterways are federally owned, as in "we the people". Bullcrap! The county, state, and federal process for access is almost not acheivable. There are so many layers of jurisdiction, and permits, and public review, on and on! Therefore, when a ramp is lost, consider it GONE without ever having a chance for replacement or to new build. Proof: This conversation about the Puyallup, and, PNP once had 12 active launch points. The current effort tohave ONE by REPLACE ONE with a single lane ramp is entering it's 17th year, and although very actively pursued, there is not an estimate completion date for this project.

PNP is not being utilized. Day after day, there is no one there. One exception: My son went there, was the only one in the lot, and got a $100 ticket for not displaying the Discover Pass in the windshield. The main use there is for the bathroom.

#1002810 - 02/05/19 01:45 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
King of the Beach

The PNP ramp is actually being utilized by some.
I've seen kayakers launch there. I've seen guys carry a small car topper down to the beach there as well.
I've also seen rigs parked there with trailers multiple times but never saw the boats that went with the trailers.

Look on Google earth and you'll see eight rigs parked in the PNP launch lot.
I'm glad someone is at least using it so it isn't a total waste, but I wish it was for the intended purposes for which it was built.

Sorry to hear your son received a ticket there.
SF

#1002835 - 02/05/19 06:53 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
willie makeit Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I wish they would open the Puyallup back up. Fishing is better than you think. most days id be the only boat on the river.

#1002842 - 02/05/19 09:25 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
Good ole days.

#1002859 - 02/06/19 10:52 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: Larry B]
WaFlyCaster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Larry,

You're misinterpreting my post, Im not slamming those groups nor do i have a negative outlook on their efforts. My point was that over the last 5-10 years WDFW has reduced opportunity by caving to the tribes wishes to shut down sport fishing on days the tribe nets. The mentioned groups have been advocating for sport fishing opportunity I'm not disputing that. Just saying our opportunity here in the south sound for river fisheries is about all but gone in recent years. It would be awesome if those groups advocating were able to add some opportunity back that we have lost in recent years.

The season closing December 31(to protect ESA Steelhead) and more Sunday-Tuesday/Wednesday closures on puyallup above the white river which makes no sense what-so ever. WDFW gives the rationale as to avoid conflict between tribe and sportfishers. There is no tribal netting above the white on the puyallup river yet that section gets closed now. Previous years it was only closed up to the white river from Sunday-Tuesday/wednesday.

River access is great I'm all for it, a majority of my time is now spent whitewater rafting and kayaking because there just isn't the opportunity locally to chase salmon/steelhead and I dont always feel like driving 2-4 hours to fish with crowds.

Hell lets put a launch on the upper Carbon near S. Prarie Creek, The upper Puyallup near kapowsin creek, im tired of dragging the boat down over rip rap and through the bushes to get it to the river or using a tow strap to drag it up the hill to get it out. Sure would make it easier to take the kids or elderly relatives out for a local float even if we cant put a line in the water.

#1002907 - 02/06/19 02:28 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: WaFlyCaster]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: WaFlyCaster
Larry,

You're misinterpreting my post, Im not slamming those groups nor do i have a negative outlook on their efforts. My point was that over the last 5-10 years WDFW has reduced opportunity by caving to the tribes wishes to shut down sport fishing on days the tribe nets. The mentioned groups have been advocating for sport fishing opportunity I'm not disputing that. Just saying our opportunity here in the south sound for river fisheries is about all but gone in recent years. It would be awesome if those groups advocating were able to add some opportunity back that we have lost in recent years.

The season closing December 31(to protect ESA Steelhead) and more Sunday-Tuesday/Wednesday closures on puyallup above the white river which makes no sense what-so ever. WDFW gives the rationale as to avoid conflict between tribe and sportfishers. There is no tribal netting above the white on the puyallup river yet that section gets closed now. Previous years it was only closed up to the white river from Sunday-Tuesday/wednesday.

River access is great I'm all for it, a majority of my time is now spent whitewater rafting and kayaking because there just isn't the opportunity locally to chase salmon/steelhead and I dont always feel like driving 2-4 hours to fish with crowds.

Hell lets put a launch on the upper Carbon near S. Prarie Creek, The upper Puyallup near kapowsin creek, im tired of dragging the boat down over rip rap and through the bushes to get it to the river or using a tow strap to drag it up the hill to get it out. Sure would make it easier to take the kids or elderly relatives out for a local float even if we cant put a line in the water.

Fair enough.

The OSRC has a paddle sport representative among its members. Meetings are open to the public. Here is a link to its webpage: https://www.piercecountywa.gov/5471/Outdoor-Sports-and-Recreation-Council. I know that the current launch project is really a slide and is intended primarily as a take out. There are several upriver launches in the works but exact locations not finalized. Stop by and if you have a site you think could be developed let us know about it. Lots of things to consider such as but not limited to ownership, ADA and parking.

As to fishing on the Puyallup it is admittedly a mess and WDFW is a contributor. I am at the Commission meetings fairly regularly - three minutes isn't a lot of time but one can get the message across to them especially if it is narrowly focused. That said, overcoming bureaucratic inertia is a challenge.

#1002917 - 02/06/19 03:51 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

I'm old enough to remember when the Puyallup was in the Top 25 rivers in the State, #4, and the Green River was #2...….of course these figure were from 1965….

Oh......by the way, the catch figures in that year 1955 were Green 11,666 and Puyallup 8,566, steelhead.

Another oh, #1 River was the Skagit, total steelhead 20,030.....

No off reservation gill netting was allowed in those days......kinda tells you something...……….. sick

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1002918 - 02/06/19 04:02 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i have the Gordy Freer's fishing book from 67-68, and 68-69, and in both of those, the numbers were even better... Skagit was 1, Puyallup was 2, and Green was 3.... the Cowlitz was like the 20th....

theres actually some "native" fish that have been popping up, but they are coming in in December, and i suspect they are unclipped tribal fish out of the Wilkeson hatchery...

a buddy of mine in December of last year, got a super mint hen that was about 13 pounds below the mouth of the Carbon... year before, down from McMillan, there was a carcass of a 18 ish pound fish filleted and thrown on the side of the river...

they also plant fish at the Electron Dam on the little Puyallup, but those fish generally return afer the second week of January, and it closes Jan 15th....

#1002942 - 02/06/19 07:25 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I don't think anyone is disparaging these organizations. I appreciate their efforts.
I'm all for more access, but access doesn't mean much to me if there aren't fish to fish for or seasons available.

I caught my first steelhead ever on the Puyallup 50 years ago last month.
I'd truly like the opportunity to fish for steelhead there again sometime in my life, but I don't hold out much hope for that access or not.

As far as saltwater goes, it seems the easy default by many government agencies regardless of the original plans is to lets just put in kayak or day use facilities and we don't have (as many) hassles with the permitting process, or the costs.
The PNP launch situation is totally ridiculous. It is being utilized, but not for its intended purpose.
SF

You have me beat. 44 years ago for me. I fished the Puy. alot up and down, since I grew up here and still reside. Hell, probably saw you around somewhere from the mid to late 70's on. My grandfather taught me Steelhead, lived and also grew up in town. He exclusively fished the Puy. his whole life. Never had to go anywhere else to catch. I learned to cast using the Winona #105 reel, which is all he and my dad ever used. Still have them today. Really sad about not being able to fish Feb. and March any more. I commented this on the Sauk Skagit thread last week.

"Motivated to get more involved here down south. Been out of the club scene since the Northwest Steelheaders of TU disbanded here in Puyallup. Maybe push for some HMP's for some late season Steelhead CnR for the Green, Puyallup and Nisqually. What groups do I need join around Puyallup where I live to get cut in on the information and processes to follow in the Skagit, Sauk success? Any chance we can push for an HMP on the Puyallup to start, or Green? Am I living in a pipe dream? Going to retire in a few years and would love to wet a line again on my home river for some wild steel. Thanks."

Answers I recieved to my comments was it will never happen. Discouraging at best. 1st, you have to have an abundance of fish, which I think the Puy has. 2nd, needed support from all angles inside and out of the WDFW. 3rd, tribal support. I think it can happen. I know their are others out there that would step up for the Puy. and Green, myself included.

As far as Puy. access. I support all efforts for access. May not be as much as in the past but still exists without launches if you've rooted around over the years and know where to go. Lets hope this is a start of a long process for future opportunity.

Edited by RUNnGUN (02/06/19 07:45 PM)

#1002985 - 02/07/19 10:59 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Liberals have ruined this state and its resources.

#1003014 - 02/07/19 01:55 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
The Puyallup River has quite a few places where the County has purchased land for flood control. There standard is to fence it and put up no trespassing signs. I don't think they actually enforce it, but these would make great access sites with little to no work. Down lower they have large tracts sitting vacant off river road. These would be perfect for a joint venture with the tribes, Ducks unlimited and the state to put in wetlands and some urban duck hunting opportunities. Again, right now all they have done for most of the land is remove the homes and fence the land off.

#1003127 - 02/08/19 11:51 PM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
I skipped a lot of schooling in the late 70s early 80s.. I remember three fish limits!

#1003162 - 02/10/19 10:34 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
spokey9 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Ravenden, AR
Can you imagine the donkey show a pink run angler turnout with some kayaks and a sprinkling of people on inner tubes thrown in would be? I'm gonna need so prime seating for that in late August lol

#1003464 - 02/14/19 08:00 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: spokey9]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: spokey9
Can you imagine the donkey show a pink run angler turnout with some kayaks and a sprinkling of people on inner tubes thrown in would be? I'm gonna need so prime seating for that in late August lol

Back in the 84-85 exceptional return winter season it was almost the case. Every stretch was full of crowds because the catching was good. That's how the season catch totals were over 10,000. You will never get away from participation in an urban area when fishing is good. Maybe that's one of the reasons the group of PS rivers that are closed will stay closed?

#1003580 - 02/15/19 08:21 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: RUNnGUN]
GPS Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Originally Posted By: spokey9

Back in the 84-85 exceptional return winter season it was almost the case. Every stretch was full of crowds because the catching was good. That's how the season catch totals were over 10,000. You will never get away from participation in an urban area when fishing is good. Maybe that's one of the reasons the group of PS rivers that are closed will stay closed?

Nisqually is a prime example. If they opened it even 1 day it would be a complete clusterfluck.

Edited by GPS (02/15/19 08:21 AM)

#1003745 - 02/16/19 11:33 AM Re: Puyallup River Boat Launches [Re: stonefish]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Oh, and on a historical note, the site for the launch used to be called the "Poor Farm" hole on the Puyallup. At least that's what my grandpa called it. It is the buildings across from the now BMX park entrance and next to Knutson's farm. I guess a type of hospital at first then a place homeless could stay during hard times. One of many nicknames for fishing locations years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |