THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100291 - 12/01/00 02:02 AM What booze do you choose?
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
First off this post has no redeeming value as far as fishing info or info on the deepest, darkest political desires of Maria Cantwell as they might effect us as sporstmen. Of course, I'm looking for a broad and accurate if not politically, demographically, and ethnically correct answer of what hooch everyone likes to consume (RESPONSIBLY OF COURSE) whilst in the pursuit of the anadromous fish of our region. With the weather turing a wee nippy, a wee shot of Jameson or Crown sneaks into my thermos cup now and again (much to my wife's chagrin). However, some of my fishing partners tend towards the more basic swill (if only BUCKHORN was still in production Pacific County residents would be a happy lot) and we argue about the most appropriate fishing booze (ONCE AGAIN I STRESS RESPONSIBILITY...although,so does Anhauser Busch). Actually there isn't much else to do here but fish, argue about booze and go crowd in with the hordes on the Peninsula.
But anyhow, if you have an opinion on the matter......(other than Pepsi, Coke or no spirits "they don't belong on the river" etc...) I'd like to hear it. Kind of a change up subject from politics, what's happening where, and *****ing about nets.

[This message has been edited by Chuckn'Duck (edited 11-30-2000).]

#100292 - 12/01/00 03:47 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
JEB Offline
Parr

Loc: Lewiston, Idaho
What's the deal? Have you given up the Shirley Temples that you used to guzzle in Pullman? Or were those Harvey Wallbangers?

#100293 - 12/01/00 09:04 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
Back in the sixtys it was Pomerelle Island Loganberry Wine, plain and simple it was for the buzz.
How ever now days it is Grand Marnier in a very small flask and only rarely. The excesses of youth have faded like the sun, except that angling is still the reason for it all. Seems a bit shallow but I guess I'm not destined to be a deep person. Hard to breath where the waters deep!

#100294 - 12/01/00 10:36 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Hey Chuck,I'll be packin the Crown,when we hook up,soon I hope take care ...Os

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft
Release all Wild Fish----<'))>>{

#100295 - 12/01/00 10:49 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
fishaday Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo,WA.
Gotta be blackberry brandy, stuff is good to the last drop and has the warming abilities needed for those cold winter days.

#100296 - 12/01/00 10:53 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
greg Offline
Smolt

Loc: fort lewis, wa 98433
Nothing like a wee snort o' Hennessee to warm your insides when the bottom drops out of the thermometer. Must be carried in a silver flask, on the inside left jacket pocket, to be socially acceptable.
Greg

[This message has been edited by greg (edited 12-01-2000).]

#100297 - 12/01/00 10:57 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Chuck,

Wild Turkey!

Sometimes, a little extra slides into my coffee and I end up feeling that much warmer. Typically try to stay away from it if there is any hazards that could get in the way but it sure makes that ham sandwich taste good.

#100298 - 12/01/00 11:04 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
paul in b'ham Offline
Smolt

Loc: b'ham,WA.
Jameson

nuff said

Paul

#100299 - 12/01/00 11:45 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
Me and my buds each carry a pint sized flask filled to the rim with R&R. Thats Rich and Rare Canadian Whiskey. Goes down smooth and warms all the way down. It's the only booze we'll drink!!!!

#100300 - 12/01/00 12:25 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Maker's Mark from a tiny flask...

#100301 - 12/01/00 02:58 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
It's baileys and coffee in the morning and bud in the after noon.The whiskey comes out
in the evening.Most likely crown or LTD.
Good luck, STRIKE ZONE

#100302 - 12/01/00 03:20 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
I think I need to go fishing with you STRIKE ZONE!!you got the right idea, but who would drive?

#100303 - 12/01/00 03:31 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
Jaegermeister. When "walking" the banks of the Sauk River Steelhead Ranch the rule is a shot a fish. If you lose the fish you have to take two and if it's over 20 lbs. you have to take six shots. Keep the fifth in the river to keep it cold.

Justin

#100304 - 12/01/00 03:42 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
CROWN AND COKE!!!! Nothing like fighting fish falling all over the boat. Or running a 18'Koffler 6'wide and a 150MERC three sheets to the wind, it makes those shallow and narrow riffles look deep and wide...
Keith

------------------I agree with Sedy you just can't fish a whole day without the chew can. Kodiak is my second best friend to crown and coke!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by stlhdr1 (edited 12-02-2000).]

#100305 - 12/01/00 03:44 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
FishnBrad, The driver is usually the one who
didn't catch any fish due to the celebration
of the others that did. Good luck
STRIKE ZONE

#100306 - 12/01/00 04:38 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
steelie67 Offline
Fry

Loc: the dalles or.
How about a little Captain Morgan`s rum , or Gentlmen Jack ..

#100307 - 12/01/00 04:53 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Justin, I have got to go fishing with you boys on the Ranch
Amazing how fast this topic filled up...buncha drunken steelhead fisherman....My kinda guys glad I'm not driving a jet-sled
------------------

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 12-01-2000).]

#100308 - 12/01/00 07:04 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Ryan Sedy Offline
Parr

Loc: Aberdeen, WA, USA
Since im not "of age" Its always a fresh Copenhagen in the lip, I dont know if i could fish a whole day without my snuff.

Ryan Sedy

#100309 - 12/01/00 07:15 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
The best I've had was some genuine Alabama Applejack (moonshine) a friend pulled out one nasty winter steelhead day.

Otherwise, Jamesons or Makers.

#100310 - 12/01/00 08:39 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Jim Beam and Ice cold Coors!

"HEY, WATCH OUT FOR THAT ROCK !!"

------------------
I Wish I were standing in a River,
In the Rain,
Catching Steelhead.

#100311 - 12/01/00 10:34 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Osprey,
I've got a nagalene container that of course doesn't do justice to it's Crowning contents, but nevertheless it is reserved for Crown and only Crown (unless it's the special reserve crap that sells for 50+ bucks a fifth. I've only seen that in Missoula and being the cheap charlie that I am, half-racks of Buckhorn withstanding, I only shell out for the reserve when in Montana or gooned out of my gourd. The latter happens much more than the former) Anyhoo, this one nagalene bottle is simply labeled "HOOCH" and is broken out after fish are caught, during lunch with smoked fish and dill pickles, after fishing down a run etc....all responsibly of course. It's a good warm up for dinner at the Red Rooster in Hump.

#100312 - 12/01/00 10:40 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Hey JEB,
I'm assuming you Idaho boys would still be raiding the Rosaur's cooler for $6.99 cases of MAXX in honor of Dee-Wee Dave and the Zoo Crew. I'm offended at the Shirley Temple comment, and Harvey Wallbanger's....CHICK DRINKS!!! Our prestigious alma matter not only turns out fine jounalists, and sub-par football teams, it grinds out its fair share of sauce-hounds who allways appreciate a good Derailler or two.

[This message has been edited by Chuckn'Duck (edited 12-01-2000).]

#100313 - 12/02/00 12:10 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
JEB Offline
Parr

Loc: Lewiston, Idaho
Now I'm all nostalgic for $1.50 pitcher of Lucky Lager, if not a one-eyed drive (did we even know how to spell responsibility back then?) from Moscow after a rousing Blue Monday.

While I'm still pretty much a beer swiller (I think MAXX suffered the same fate as fraternity keggers around here), I make exceptions on the river. 100-proof schnapps is a regular in the boat, but on days when things are slow and the fingers numb, we boil water then stir in brown-sugar batter and Captain Morgan's for hot-buttered rum. Was introduced to that in a sled on the Skagit maybe 20 years ago, and saw no reason why we couldn't enjoy the same amenities in a drift boat.

Might have to try alternating hot and cold -- rum and Jaegermeister. But then I'd probably be looking for some bar hag to verbally abuse.

#100314 - 12/02/00 12:14 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Drink of choice, ice cold beer, preferrably imported. The resort I spend my summers at has a tradition amongst the guides that for every 50+ lbs. king brought in, that guide buys a bottle (or 2) of Crown. Love them big kings.
Ryan, don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but just a word of warning for you and anyone else who chews. A very good friend of mine (34 yrs. old) just had half his jaw removed because of cancer, he'll be sporting a scar from his right ear to under his chin for the rest of his life. He started chewing when he was 12 and thought it could never happen to him.

#100315 - 12/02/00 12:49 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
You guys are all woosies drinking that soft stuff Try one of my 52 oz. Pay 'n Save special mocha blends and a six pack of diet coke ... keeps me rowing the boat straight Fast too!

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 12-01-2000).]

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#100316 - 12/02/00 12:57 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
rogue runner Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Angeles, WA 98362
I haven't jumped in for awhile, but you guys haven't menioned one of the best "warm ya up" driniks around.... After Shock. As those crystals grow, so does the warmth. It truely warms you up from the inside out. A good cigar (yes I know they're bad for ya but I only enjoy them while fishing, and since I still work that ain' often) a tuna sandwich and a couple snorts of the warm red liquid. Then head home to give the wife a kiss when your done and see how much she really loves you!!!!

#100317 - 12/02/00 01:16 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
duc'Hunter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lynnwood, Wa. USA
This reminds me of a very cold morning in February 6 years ago, I was fishing with my youngest step son and I had brought my favorite drink, Hot Chocolate and Schnapps, and had another flask of just Hot Chocolate for my son. Well he drank the good stuff and I was stuck with the boring stuff. After that trip, we always bring the good stuff.

duckhunter

------------------

#100318 - 12/02/00 08:25 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Yukon Jack with or without the coffee.

#100319 - 12/02/00 10:11 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Yukon Jack for me too.

#100320 - 12/02/00 12:38 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I've taken to laying off the sauce while fishing lately, as it makes me both slow and lazy. I like Copenhagen when fishing, though. After fishing, Crown Royal.....it's momma's milk.

Fish on......

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#100321 - 12/02/00 12:55 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
HOORAY! Someone finally called the good stuff. Yukon Jack. My little 5 oz flask is filled with that stuff. Although I rarely ever use it. I tend to pull a REALLY BIG ONE. My big cup, which some of you have seen, filled with iced tea. And later I fill it with Coke, not the unleaded stuff though. I wonder if Bob's 52oz mocha is in a 52oz mug like mine. That would be funny. Oh, a good and cheap warmer I once used was Southern Comfort. Not bad when bone frozen.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#100322 - 12/02/00 04:05 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
My least personal favorite was a swig of Old Danish. It was the last swig in an old flask, handed to me by our Lucky Norweigan, Oyvind!

Now, when I arm myself with my titanium flask, it usually contains Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve.

Only single barrel burbouns, thanks!

A bourbon snob, and damn proud to be so!

Parker

PS. Fished the Salmon River on the Quinalt Reservation on Friday. Will make a seperate post later (with pics),but we went 9-16.

#100323 - 12/02/00 11:41 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fishing in margaritaville . Quality tequilla. Doesn't warm you up anymore than whiskey; just makes the cold a whole lot more fun.

#100324 - 12/03/00 01:27 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
Jones the Wrench Offline
Alevin

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
A wee dram o' Scotch, me lads, of the single malt variety- ach! Glenfiddich when I've the bucks.

#100325 - 12/03/00 01:39 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
JohnnyCoho Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rockport,WA,USA
Seems to be the topic of the day,...So what the hell!!! HeY!!! YoURrRrE AlL GoOoD PeOpLe!!!PuLl mY fInGeR!!!!!!!!

Get clients in my boat slamin' down the Glick all the time, hot one this year that the fish gods seem to love was this mouth wash tasting stuff some guys brought in the boat. I think it was called "Hot Dam"
Stuff was harsh and it seemed every time they took a hit, they'd hook up. Worked for them.
"hEy mIsTer...GoTtA bUcK? wAnNa hErE yOuR
DadDy'S NaMe?!?....PuLl mY fInGeR!!!!

"Life is short. Never pass up a hug. Look children in the eye when you talk to them. Bend the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."

#100326 - 12/03/00 03:44 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
sXe

------------------
Ryan S. Petzold
aka
Sparkey and/or Special

#100327 - 12/04/00 08:07 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Steeliegreg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Nothing warms the bones like a little single-malt in January on the Penninsula.
Cheers!

------------------
C&R Works!

#100328 - 12/04/00 08:22 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Fishwhacker Offline
Parr

Loc: Auburn WA
On the river Macallans single malt...but just a bit. After a good day, Makers mark nothing better to relax with and listen to your friends fish grow.

#100329 - 12/05/00 05:37 PM Re: What booze do you choose?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

My Dad always told it was Snake bite medicine for those Snow Snakes ...you know the kind that want to crawl up you're waders and bite you in the pooper....haven't been bit yet.
chuck-n-duck I know you've got some of then thar Snow Snakes out here on the along that Muddy Ditch...Os

------------------

#100330 - 12/10/00 12:26 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
longstone Offline
Alevin

Loc: Chilliwack, B.C.
You're a good man there Fishwhacker. Macallans is a fine choice on a cold, wet day. Actually its a good choice for any day!

#100331 - 12/10/00 12:49 AM Re: What booze do you choose?
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Rouge Runner is right on!!! Aftershock, or as my fishin partners like to call it, Red Death, is THE best gut warming liquid I've ever tried....you know the feeling....the warmth starts way down deep and sticks with ya!!! Right on Rogue!

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cordoge, CORKE, FISHRIGHT, LoweDown, minirex, RDK
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 316 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645442 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |