Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1002562 - 01/31/19 09:20 PM Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
Also hunting derbies.

SENATE BILL 723
Prohibits person from organizing, sponsoring, promoting, conducting or participating in contest, competition, tournament or derby that has objective of taking wildlife for prizes or other inducement or for entertainment.

Punishes violation of prohibition by imprisonment for not more than 364 days and fine of not more than $6,250. Requires transportation of injured wildlife to licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility or veterinarian. Provides that person that injures or kills wildlife in violation of Act forfeits remains of wildlife to State Department of Fish and Wildlife. Declares emergency, effective on passage.

#1002563 - 01/31/19 09:24 PM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Oregon

Directly challenging California for Liberal dominance.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#1002565 - 01/31/19 10:25 PM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
The way they set seasons on the columbia its always a derby.

#1002567 - 02/01/19 06:34 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Good point, deerlick. Most salmon fisheries are a lot like derbies these days... minus the prizes.

This is almost certainly an animal rights-driven response to the recently increased sea lion culling. I wouldn't expect it to go far, but one never knows.

#1002568 - 02/01/19 06:44 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Anybody know of an expressed reason/need? In response to what?

#1002571 - 02/01/19 07:39 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
I read something about a coyote derby that ticked some people off. Of all the stupid things.

#1002572 - 02/01/19 07:47 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Haha, agree w above sentiment. Our fisheries are a derby on the daily anymore...
I want to be a fisherman.

#1002574 - 02/01/19 08:02 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
"Requires transportation of injured wildlife to licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility or veterinarian."

Here's a salmon I just sore lipped in an illegal fishing derby Mr. Vet. You can put him in your salt water aquarium in the lobby until he's better.

#1002635 - 02/01/19 03:00 PM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
River Nutrients

Is this bill just aimed at hunting? If it says "wildlife" there may be a specific definition within Oregon's equivalent to the RCW that defines the term and it may not include fish.

#1002709 - 02/03/19 10:33 PM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Carcassman]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

On reading the bill, it says a lot about mammals, nothing about fish, so my take is that salmon derbies are not covered or included. Sorry for the inaccurate post!

#1002710 - 02/04/19 07:08 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
River Nutrients

But, one has to look at specific definitions in the law. If they separate fish from wildlife, and the law deals just with wildlife then fishing derbies aren't covered. But if, for example, the base law on "contests" lumps fish and wildlife into one term, then it covers both unless specifically excepted.

This probably does target the coyote "contests" but might also be aimed at rattlesnake roundups. Also, here in WA I know that clubs have "Big Fish" and "Big deer/elk) contests annually amongst the members. Finally, how would this affect P&Y and B&C?

#1002717 - 02/04/19 09:11 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

So no more Oregon Tuna Classic?

#1002836 - 02/05/19 07:40 PM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

taken directly from the text of the bill:

(a) “Person” means an individual, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, corporation, professional corporation, nonprofit corporation, cooperative, limited liability company, business trust, joint venture, incorporated or unincorporated association,
or other business organization or entity.
(b) “Wildlife” means amphibians, reptiles, feral swine as defined under State Department of Agriculture rules, wild birds as defined under State Fish and Wildlife Commission rules and other wild mammals as defined under commission rules.

Don't see how you can include fish under this text, as wildlife is defined.

#1002847 - 02/06/19 07:43 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
People that do field trials with hunting dogs are concerned as well.

#1002860 - 02/06/19 10:55 AM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Keep in mind the old parable about the bedouin and the camel's nose under the tent wall.

Oh, and just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

In short, I hope Oregon kills that idea quickly before it spreads to fishing and, worse, migrates north.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1002905 - 02/06/19 02:24 PM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
River Nutrients

Not to worry, Larry. The Tribes will take over management and stop any playing with food.

#1002922 - 02/06/19 04:46 PM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Not to worry, Larry. The Tribes will take over management and stop any playing with food.

Well, that thought has me just giddy.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1002931 - 02/06/19 05:48 PM Re: Oregon bill to ban fishing derbies [Re: Terry Roth]
River Nutrients

Thought so.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |