Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1002721 - 02/04/19 09:40 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
WB should be the poster child for how to properly manage WA anadromous salmonids, hatchery and wild. No ESA listings. Yet. No Co-Managers so outside approval not needed. There should be no reason why WB can't be a showcase, or even a study area, for how to recover depressed stocks, recover habitat, run hatcheries, have wild stocks, have fisheries.

It seems as if WDFW does not want to rock the boat for the rest of the state's management.

#1002723 - 02/04/19 09:47 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
https://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2019/02/feb0819_14_presentation.pdf

The link is to the Willapa presentation for the Commission this coming Saturday. Now compare this to the reality of the numbers that I have posted that are not mine but WDF&W's. Any recognize a dog & pony show?

#1002726 - 02/04/19 10:02 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Maybe we need that subduction zone quake, centered real close to WB, to go off and generate a huge tsunami, among other things. Maybe the rapid reconstruction of the bay and estuary, plus the decades long rebuilding of infrastructure, might leave the fish alone for a while and they could sort it out. People sure can't. Or won't.

#1002801 - 02/05/19 11:51 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

These comments to the Commission were forwarded to me. This gentleman and myself differ on issues at times but he is one I have the greatest respect for as he always tried to do right by fish & users. A quality seldom seen anymore.

Dear Commissioners
My name is XXXX and I have sat on the WDFW Chehalis and Willapa Basin Advisor Committees representing the recreational fisher since their inception, stepping down in 2017 due to my wife’s health issues. I have testified at numerous of your meetings in the past. Here I sit at 3AM this morning writing my comments to you, where I could not sleep because of the dire decline of fisheries in this state, and I had to get my thoughts put out, otherwise I would be guilty of being the quiet minority.

My concern now is the Willapa Management Policy, which is directed by the Hatchery and Fishery Reform Policy that was implemented in 2009. In my years of sitting on this advisory committee, I and others have voiced our opinion to WDFW staff’s direction of management in that it was not working. To their credit, they were working within the direction guidelines of HSRG. But, that direction has ruined one of the greatest recreational salmon fishing areas on the Pacific coast. It has killed businesses in Tokeland and devastated the recreational and commercial fisheries in that area.

Taken from this policy, -- “The objective of this policy is to achieve the conservation and restoration of wild salmon in Willapa Bay and avoid ESA designation of any salmon species. Where consistent with this conservation objective, the policy also seeks to maintain or enhance the economic well-being and stability of the commercial and recreational fishing industry in the state, provide the public with outdoor recreational experiences, and an appropriate distribution of fishing opportunities throughout the Willapa Bay Basin.”
This above policy has not worked, and as I understand, both HSRG and WMP are now under review. I urge you to carefully investigate beyond WDFW’s recommendations for the review/revision of the above policies.

If this was a private business and things were sliding downhill at the rate this fishery has, management/ownership would have re-evaluated it a long time ago. I have seen a remiss in WDFW upper level management, for not recognizing this issue and bringing it forward to you, our Commission long before now. At the last advisory meeting in Montesano 1-23-2019, every advisor spoke up about it not working. WDFW staff admitted they were using flawed data in the computer model that is GOD in this instance. I, as a non-member now, also spoke out during the public comment period. My thoughts were basically, “HSRG management has killed the Willapa fishery. It is past time to review it, and if at all possible rescind it on appropriate watersheds in this state, namely the Willapa and Cowlitz basins where there are no genetic WILD salmon stock left anymore, and under it’s management the production of hatchery fish has been lowered to meet the HSRG requirements. A way better and cheaper idea would be to turn these basins into hatchery management only.” Just the word CONSERVATION scares me as it will always take something away from us all.

Don’t get me wrong in thinking that I am anti-commercial in this area. We need the commercial fleet if hatchery production is increased to bring back our fishery. It has been my observation that LESS than 10% of any fish are a willing biter for the recreational fisher. We recreationals CAN NOT catch anywhere close to 50% of the allocated fish even if the season was lengthened and given a VERY GENEROUS bag limit. The commercial fleet is needed HERE as a mop-up to keep down the hatchery surplus returns.

One example of HSRG malfunction is when WDFW changed the river designations and made the Willapa River as PRIMARY. This river has no weir, nor hatchery on it, therefore CAN NOT control any fish passage. Natural and Hatchery fish can spawn together in this whole river (which the biologists consider a NO-NO). Forks Creek hatchery is approximately 26 miles upriver from the mouth of the Willapa and only attracts it’s output of fish, along with some strays. In designating the Willapa primary to qualify under HSRG, WDFW cut Forks Creek hatchery Chinook production from near 3.5 million to 345,000, which brought the desired WILD numbers into line. They then also changed the basin to Aggregate designation, which allowed some rivers to fall way below required returns. And they called it MANAGEMENT ?

I could go on and on as to examples but do not want to burden you with an old man rambling on. If you have a problem, you can’t just try to throw money in that area and hope it will improve. With the state of affairs now, our legislature is getting tired of everyone repeatedly asking for a handout. In my mind, the problem is pretty clear, let’s solve the problem. The issue is that I will not live long enough to see any results.

#1002998 - 02/07/19 12:21 PM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Meeting canceled folks:

Important Message – The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission meeting scheduled for Saturday, February 9, 2019 has been cancelled due to the expected inclement weather. The Commission meeting on Friday, February 8th is still scheduled as planned. Please see the attached agenda for further information.

Tami Lininger, Executive Assistant
Washington Fish & Wildlife Commission
1111 Washington Street SE, Olympia WA 98501 (office)
Post Office Box 43200 Olympia, WA 98504-3200 (mailing)
Email: commission@dfw.wa.gov or tami.lininger@dfw.wa.gov
WEB: http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/commission
Phone: (360) 902-2267

Edited by Rivrguy (02/07/19 12:21 PM)

#1003705 - 02/16/19 06:49 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Barb sent this out for Willapa & the NOF bit. As to the Willapa Policy I have not seen anything of earth shattering importance. Wait until after the Commission conference call I guess.

Hi Everyone, We just wanted to send out a list of the upcoming meetings that will be associated with this year’s 2019 North of Falcon (NOF) salmon season setting process for Willapa Bay.

2019 NOF Forecast Meeting Feb. 26, 2019 Montesano City Hall 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
(Willapa Bay & Grays Harbor combined) 112 N. Main St., Montesano, WA
· 6 p.m. Willapa Bay
· 7 p.m. Grays Harbor

Willapa Bay NOF Advisory Mtg Mar. 4, 2019 Raymond Elks Club 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
(open to the public) 326 3rd St., Raymond, WA

Willapa Bay NOF Public Mtg Mar. 27, 2019 Raymond Elks Club 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Willapa Bay NOF Advisory Mtg Apr. 9, 2019 Raymond Elks Club 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
(open to the public)

The Willapa Bay Forecast Meeting and the Willapa Bay NOF Public Meeting listed above as well as the full 2019 North of Falcon Public meeting schedule (all other statewide public meetings for Coastal, Puget Sound and Columbia River) can be found at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/.

The Willapa Bay advisory meetings can be found at https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/wbsag/.

If you would like to provide any comments regarding the 2019 North of Falcon relating to Willapa Bay fisheries, please send your email to: WillapaBay@dfw.wa.gov.

Thank you.
Barbara

#1005069 - 03/08/19 09:44 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

It was put to me in blunt terms that no one is keeping folks up on Willapa. I did not travel to Raymond so I am a poor resource here but Barb sent this info out in a timely manner.

Hi Everyone,
I just want to make everyone aware that the documents (handouts, notes, and audio) from our forecast meeting the other night (Feb. 26) have been posted to our website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/.
All other statewide meetings are also posted at this same link.
This will be the location for the documents from our other public meeting that will be coming on March 27 as well.

Our next meeting associated with this year’s North of Falcon is scheduled for this Monday, March 4 at the Raymond Elks Lodge from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. This will be an Willapa Bay Advisory Group meeting but these meetings are open to the public to listen and provide any comments on the record at the end of the meeting. Documents from advisory group meetings are posted at https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/wbsag/

If you would like to provide any comments or suggestions for this year’s North of Falcon process regarding Willapa Bay fisheries, please send those comments or suggestions to WillapaBay@dfw.wa.gov

WDFW is piloting new technology to enhance the public’s access to information. Additional Commission meetings, plus several North of Falcon presentations taking place March 19 and April 3 as noted at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/, will be broadcast live via the WDFW website, www.wdfw.wa.gov. The improvement will allow members of the public to view meetings or presentations in real time, or video after-the-fact, in order to learn more about topics they’re interested in.

Thank you.
Barbara

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Barbara McClellan
Fisheries Biologist
Willapa Bay Fisheries Management
WA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife| Region 6 Montesano Office
Office #360.249.1213 | Cell #360.470.3459| Fax #360.249.1229
Email: Barbara.Mcclellan@dfw.wa.gov
><((((º>....><((((º>

Edited by Rivrguy (03/08/19 09:46 AM)

#1006015 - 03/26/19 12:31 PM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

This is at hand for Willapa and some may have missed the notice as in GH.

March 27

Public discussion of pre-season forecasts and possible salmon fisheries.
Willapa Bay Fisheries Discussion
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Raymond Elks Club, 326 3rd St., Raymond
Public meeting for discussion of pre-season forecasts and possible salmon fisheries in Willapa Bay and associated watersheds.

#1006611 - 04/07/19 04:43 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

As with Grays Harbor this is the last NOF meeting of the year. AS I have been nailed by that bug running around I could not attend the Commission meeting but bottom line, Ron Warren gut shot the Willapa Policy and the Commission went along with it. So folks in the Willapa just might want to get involved and listen to the audio once it goes up. As I was not present someone that was needs to lay out this sorry episode for folks.

Apr. 9, 2019
6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Raymond Elks Club, Raymond, WA

#1006627 - 04/07/19 01:25 PM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Soft bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Central Park
I think Rivrguy hit the nail on the head but it was worse than that. My take was that staff presented what was really two models, B and C. Model B was to stick with the plan to go to 14% exploitation on chinook. Plan C was to continue the current 20% exploitation rate (and delay recovery). Mr. Warren recommended going with plan C and the commission accepted it. However, Commissioner Kehoe proposed an amendment to suspend paragraph 6 for 2019 and it passed. This paragraph limits exploitation to 14% and limits commercial fishing in 2T and 2U until after Sept 16. Public input from recs was mostly reasons to stick with 14% exploitation plus pay back for prior over harvest.

#1006714 - 04/09/19 11:26 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach

#1006777 - 04/10/19 08:13 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Elijah]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

As soon as the audio of the Adviser meeting for Willapa is up I will put up the link. To summarize things at the Commission meeting during the Willapa review Ron warren endorsed a option which R-6 staff said was not going to happen followed by the Commissioners standing down parts of the policy. That the concrete place would do something like that does not surprise me as duplicity is normal for those folks. At the Adviser meeting last night considerable conflict emerged as staff apparently utilized Commission actions at the Willapa review to alter the Willapa Policy.

What I find to be of the greatest concern is that the Commission would take such actions during a year end review with out notifying the public of their intent to do so. This violation of trust is just so far past acceptable that it is hard to get ones arms around it. For myself let me be clear that the actions of the Commissioners may or may not be justified. That said the manner in which they allowed some Commissioners manipulate the process to limit public knowledge of their true intent is a breach of public trust that is as great as I have seen in many years.

Edited by Rivrguy (04/10/19 08:17 AM)

#1006930 - 04/11/19 10:15 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
What I find to be of the greatest concern is that the Commission would take such actions during a year end review with out notifying the public of their intent to do so. This violation of trust is just so far past acceptable that it is hard to get ones arms around it. For myself let me be clear that the actions of the Commissioners may or may not be justified. That said the manner in which they allowed some Commissioners manipulate the process to limit public knowledge of their true intent is a breach of public trust that is as great as I have seen in many years.

Violation of the public's trust seem's to be a new item in the Commission's Charter Riverguy! Imagine all the stuff that we don't even know about. This is just another example of how things are done in the new era of greater transparency. LOL!!

#1007010 - 04/12/19 07:33 PM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Soft bite]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Soft bite
However, Commissioner Kehoe proposed an amendment to suspend paragraph 6 for 2019 and it passed. This paragraph limits exploitation to 14% and limits commercial fishing in 2T and 2U until after Sept 16. Public input from recs was mostly reasons to stick with 14% exploitation plus pay back for prior over harvest.

The intent here, as presented and discussed at the commission meeting was to basically freeze the policy at the 2018 stage, and suspend the provisions in the final stage of transition to full implementation in 2019.

But they made it even worse. Instead of just "freezing" the policy, Kehoe's amendment has now been interpreted to mean STRIKING all the dates that constrain gillnets..... not just leaving them at 2018 status. They no longer have to wait until Sept 16 in 2T/U, or Sept 7 in 2M/N. They don't have to wait at all! Gillnets in August would be totally fine. J F C..... GDITMMM!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1007013 - 04/12/19 07:47 PM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: eyeFISH]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Originally Posted By: Soft bite
However, Commissioner Kehoe proposed an amendment to suspend paragraph 6 for 2019 and it passed. This paragraph limits exploitation to 14% and limits commercial fishing in 2T and 2U until after Sept 16. Public input from recs was mostly reasons to stick with 14% exploitation plus pay back for prior over harvest.

The intent here, as presented and discussed at the commission meeting was to basically freeze the policy at the 2018 stage, and suspend the provisions in the final stage of transition to full implementation in 2019.

But they made it even worse. Instead of just "freezing" the policy, Kehoe's amendment has now been interpreted to mean STRIKING all the dates that constrain gillnets..... not just leaving them at 2018 status. They no longer have to wait until Sept 16 in 2T/U, or Sept 7 in 2M/N. They don't have to wait at all! Gillnets in August would be totally fine. J F C..... GDITMMM!

This Kehoe? Fox watching the hen house.....

Robert “Bob” Kehoe, Seattle
(At-Large position, King County)
Occupation: Executive Director, Purse Seine Vessel Owners’ Assoc.
Current Term: 01/01/2015 - 12/31/2020

Robert “Bob” Kehoe was appointed to the Commission by Governor Inslee in July 2013. Bob is the Executive Director of the Purse Seine Vessel Owners Association (PSVOA), a commercial fishing trade organization based in Seattle. Prior to becoming PSVOA’s Executive Director in 2009, Bob served as PSVOA’s General Counsel beginning in 1997. He is a member of the Washington and Alaska Bar, and has practiced maritime law for more than 20 years.

Since 2001, Bob has been involved in the Pacific Salmon Commission process as the U.S. Industry Representative on the Fraser Panel. Bob also served as a Washington Advisor to the North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission from 2004 to 2008.

Bob received his JD from the University of Denver School Law, and an MS in Public Health (Epidemiology and Biostatistics) from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Before attending law school, Bob worked as a research scientist at the SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine.

Bob lives in the Seattle Ballard neighborhood with his wife Deb and has two daughters

#1007024 - 04/13/19 06:52 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

From what I’ve heard, the normal legislators are forcing wdfw to roll back the clock if they want their funding increase. Inslee is basically MIA and his staff are on board.

#1007071 - 04/14/19 09:15 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: Rivrguy]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Does ANYONE have anymore information on the WHY of this?

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1007083 - 04/14/19 06:15 PM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

A credible source states the WB portion of the PFMC negotiations was completed today. I suspect a news release sometime tomorrow as part of a larger post PFMC media-release.

I'll credit staff for hearing our recommendations, in particular the objections of rec advisors to all the new commercial leeway approved by the commission last weekend. Pleased to report that our worst fears did NOT come to pass, so we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Although the date restrictions were lifted as noted in my previous post, in order to stay within the 20% impact cap THERE ARE NO NETTING DAYS IN AUGUST scheduled for the 2019 season. The entrenched North Bay fishery is spared from nets until Sept 16 to avoid gear conflict between the sectors... just as we've done in the past. And the South Bay has only 2 net days during Labor Day week. Moreover, the highly controversial "control zone" closure will not be in effect for 2019.

We can finally all look forward to getting our lines wet!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1007136 - 04/15/19 02:44 PM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: eyeFISH]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
If dip in fish are CR Tulees. We should be able to selective harvest them.

#1007185 - 04/16/19 07:36 AM Re: Willapa Management Policy [Re: slabhunter]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

dip in fish have Columbia fish but substantial Grays Harbor & Willapa plus others. The old concept that the old dip in was mostly Columbia was not true. I can't remember the % on the mix but maybe someone else does.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |