Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1008367 - 05/06/19 05:04 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

thats what im saying, they tried to tell me that it was new ammo, after i said it was reloaded... that brass clearly isnt new at all... new brass doesnt have dents in it either... and if theres this big HYPE about Lake City, well, they suck....

yeah Aguila is good stuff for the most part... not a fan of their .22 ammo, but the 5.56 ammo is lights out... very well made...

one weird thing i did notice, but it might not mean anything, when i shook the federal shell, you couldnt hear anything moving in there... nothing.... when i shake the Norma, Aguila, Winchester, Atomic, ect you can clearly hear the powder in there....

i havent heard that about HSM, im just using the stuff up i had, dont really buy alot of it anymore, rather buy new factory ammo for my pistols since im not set up to load....

i have Rem wipes too, not a huge fan of them, they catch and sh!t on stuff... the oil i do like tho, its thicker than other oils from my viewpoint... but that can also translate to gummyness and whatnot.... the Lucas isnt cheap, but alot of pros use it so it has to be somewhat good... and Lucas car oil is some of the best on the market, so im sure they should know what they are doing...

the Daiwa oil, i actually read up on the viscosity chart years ago, after using oils like Rocket Fuel, Hot Sauce, and such, and the Daiwa is way up there viscosity wise... its also really easy to use which i like... havent had one issue whatsoever with it....

#1008368 - 05/06/19 05:33 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Evo
thats what im saying, they tried to tell me that it was new ammo, after i said it was reloaded... that brass clearly isnt new at all... new brass doesnt have dents in it either... and if theres this big HYPE about Lake City, well, they suck....

yeah Aguila is good stuff for the most part... not a fan of their .22 ammo, but the 5.56 ammo is lights out... very well made...

one weird thing i did notice, but it might not mean anything, when i shook the federal shell, you couldnt hear anything moving in there... nothing.... when i shake the Norma, Aguila, Winchester, Atomic, ect you can clearly hear the powder in there....

i havent heard that about HSM, im just using the stuff up i had, dont really buy alot of it anymore, rather buy new factory ammo for my pistols since im not set up to load....

i have Rem wipes too, not a huge fan of them, they catch and sh!t on stuff... the oil i do like tho, its thicker than other oils from my viewpoint... but that can also translate to gummyness and whatnot.... the Lucas isnt cheap, but alot of pros use it so it has to be somewhat good... and Lucas car oil is some of the best on the market, so im sure they should know what they are doing...

the Daiwa oil, i actually read up on the viscosity chart years ago, after using oils like Rocket Fuel, Hot Sauce, and such, and the Daiwa is way up there viscosity wise... its also really easy to use which i like... havent had one issue whatsoever with it....

Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LCAAP) is the single largest producer of small arms ammunition for the United States Armed Forces.
So there's that.
If that box was factory sealed, then it must have been (cosmetic) reject ammo.
Sometimes it will say "Not For Duty Use" on the box.

Powders have different burns rates as you know and it sounds like that green tip was a "compressed load" where its powder was of a slower burn rate than the others.
Slower burn rate typically means you would use more to achieve the same result as a faster powder which would require less.

#1008407 - 05/07/19 04:52 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

yeah i knew LC was big, didnt know they were the biggest... all the boxes (30+) are all the same, they arent "sealed" per say however... just a flap that goes in...

and it didnt say anything like that, but i did some research that day, and found some things out... its labeled XM855, and says "meets military standards" on the side of the box....

well, after reading, if its designated M, that means it meets mil spec requirements, and that ammo, goes directly to the military.... not to civilians... if it says XM, its DOES NOT meet military standards...

if thats the case, why would they be stupid and put meets military standards on the side of the box, when XM clearly means its not up to spec? thats false advertisement...

yes i do know about burn rates, but thats pretty much where it ends for me... i dont know about different powders, ect... why would someone want to use slower burning powder, and increase the weight? wouldnt slower burning powder also leave more residue behind vs faster burning powder?

#1008408 - 05/07/19 05:54 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

yeah i knew LC was big, didnt know they were the biggest... all the boxes (30+) are all the same, they arent "sealed" per say however... just a flap that goes in...

and it didnt say anything like that, but i did some research that day, and found some things out... its labeled XM855, and says "meets military standards" on the side of the box....

well, after reading, if its designated M, that means it meets mil spec requirements, and that ammo, goes directly to the military.... not to civilians... if it says XM, its DOES NOT meet military standards...

if thats the case, why would they be stupid and put meets military standards on the side of the box, when XM clearly means its not up to spec? thats false advertisement...

yes i do know about burn rates, but thats pretty much where it ends for me... i dont know about different powders, ect... why would someone want to use slower burning powder, and increase the weight? wouldnt slower burning powder also leave more residue behind vs faster burning powder?

Slower burn rate doesn't necessarily mean slower bullet flight.
Just means a different burn characteristic and different pressure spike.

Depending on the cartridge, sometimes a slower powder will yield better accuracy in a given load.
It could be that the military found that the powder in that XM855 was more resilient to ambient temperatures.
Lots of reasons that it may be used.

One good thing for reloaders is that a safe powder charge that fills the case (or almost fills) makes it impossible to double charge.

Pistol powders are among the fastest powders and they often leave plenty of room to make a mistake and double charge.

#1008409 - 05/07/19 06:27 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

ok that makes sense...

that ammo tho, the tips on alot of the bullets, were seriously deformed... like dropped from 20 feet and hit point first deformed... ive dropped ammo, who hasnt, but ive never really gotten tips that looked like that... some of them were semi mushroomed over to the side...

absolute garbage for anything less than spraying bullets and burning up your barrel...

#1008628 - 05/13/19 04:29 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

went shooting again a few days ago, after the thorough cleaning, it still was on target just like before...

the Federal 55 grain in the 20 round box (non green tip, non dented tip) actually shot pretty well....

another Army guy was there, and this time chose to shoot directly next to me... i told him he might get hit with brass, and he didnt care, said he was used to it, which, im not surprised...

so im dinging away at the plates, and he gets down, and shoots all 8 in a row relatively fast, slightly faster than im shooting... was impressed...

i was looking at his rifle, and hes like "you can go ahead and pick it up", im like seriously? yeah sure, no problem... the thing was HEAVY... but not really alll that bad, but was really heavy... up front he had a laser/rangfinder and a light... Larue lower, Geissele trigger, regular old Mag Pul grip, and his barrel... which he said was "just a Noveske", which i replied "yeah, just a Noveske" and laughed...

then, came the scope... i think my most expensive scope in my life was like 500-600 bucks... the one i have on this now is 300.. while im more than happy with the scopes i have, there is SERIOUSLY a major difference between a 300 dollar scope, and a 3000 dollar scope like he had, which was a Leupold 3-18X Mark 6.. HOLY SH!T was that thing clear at 300, was amazed by it... the reticle was very very nice as well... but, i dont think i will ever be able to spend that kind of money on a scope like that, not because i cant, but because i really dont need it... but the quality of the thing was through the roof.... i will spend more on the next one, but not 3k thats for sure...

so, now im in a bit of a crossroads...

ive been thinking about getting the MPR re barreled in .223 Wylde, so i can keep the 5.56/.223 aspect going, and the added accuracy... the problem is is the price... you have companies like Bartlein, Kreiger, Noveske, Faxon, Shilen, Lilja, ect...

so i called Rainier, and they have theirs which are around 400 for the Ultra Match 20 inch fluted, plus 80 to put it on... then there is the Faxon Flame fluted .223 Wylde at around 325, plus the 80... both of which i will need to pay more for a brake, and the installation of said brake... Noveske barrels are 500-900 (carbon fiber), and are too expensive for my taste... i wouldnt be opposed to just getting a target crowned no brake barrel as well, as recoil with a 5.56/.223 is nothing...

but, then again, i can get a complete upper in .224 Valkyrie for the same price as the barrel and install... but, then i have to go and get different, more expensive ammo, when i could just stick with the 5.56/.223 ammo im using, and get the 6.5 Creed rifle that ive been wanting to buy (looked at a Ruger Precision yesterday, and im almost sold on it... very nice) and not have a bunch of stuff that does almost the same thing (.224, 6.5, .300 WM)

so with that said, would it be better to rebarrel the MPR with a nice fluted match barrel, or just keep it as it is, and get a .224, or is it worth it to upgrade the MPR barrel? like i said, his rifle shot lights out, but im assuming that sub MOA guarantees like the Faxon has are going to suffice...

so, what say you?

#1008661 - 05/13/19 08:46 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

I'd probably leave it as is unless I was getting schitty groups.
Sounded like you were happy with it ?

#1008719 - 05/14/19 03:08 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

oh im definitely happy with it, and the groups are fine... im at around 1500 rounds so far through it...

this is more of a personal cosmetic/performance thing... im not really into getting things that look cool, and do absolutely nothing... like accessories, crazy hand guards, things of that nature... id rather put my money towards something that looks nice, and performs well...

ive always liked the looks of fluted heavy barrels on AR platform rifles, and the Wylde chamber is usually more accurate than your standard 5.56 chamber, or so they say...

i do have the option of buying an Aero Precision upper in .224 for 450 out the door, so that is in the back of my mind as well... just not sure i want to get yet another cartridge, thats sometimes hard to find, when i can "personalize" the rifle i have, and increase accuracy doing so...

oh yeah, i get emails from Midway and Brownells, they have Glock barrels on sale for a decent and good looking price on some of them... they also had those AA triggers like you have (i think they were Agency right?) on sale as well, if you havent seen it yet...

#1008896 - 05/17/19 11:55 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

oh yeah, i get emails from Midway and Brownells, they have Glock barrels on sale for a decent and good looking price on some of them... they also had those AA triggers like you have (i think they were Agency right?) on sale as well, if you havent seen it yet...

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm good with my Glock barrel situation.
And on the Dark Web I found a good place to buy AA triggers and barrels.

My last barrel is coming from KKM.
They are making a special run of 9x25 Dillon barrels.
It's a 10mm Auto necked down to 9mm.
So it's a screamer....giant muzzle flash.

Inslee is going to eventually take away the unserialized P80's.
So if you ever want to do a P80 build, might want to grab a frame kit.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
birdhunter111, metalman, solducsinker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (chrome/22, stonefish), 946 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |