Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1004386 - 02/25/19 04:19 PM AR 556 MPR
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

picked up this Ruger AR 556 MPR, which is the upgraded version of the AR556..

scope next, not sure what i want this time tho, i can either go with another SWFA, but im also thinking about say a Nikon BDC .223 scope, but they are a 4-12 and i would rather have a 4-16 or 6-24x...

the plan eventually, is to either buy or build a upper, in either 6.5 Grendel, or .224 Valkarie, which i have heard is good for upwards of 1300 yards...

well see...

#1004404 - 02/26/19 06:36 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Nice choice. Assuming that's a 16" barrel, you may not get the full performance out of a .224 Val. 20 - 22" barrels are pretty standard on .224 Vals. 1,300 yards is at high elevation. 1,000 yards is more realistic at sea level.

A .221 Fireball upper would also be fun (albeit expensive to shoot). Whisper quiet, no recoil and 4,000 fps standard (I've heard you can push 4,500 fps). Not a super long range shooter per se, but if your staying inside of 500 yards, it would split a frog's hair in two.

Have fun.

#1004419 - 02/26/19 12:36 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

that is a 18 inch 5.56 barrel, im going to keep that the way it is, and get another upper...

i do want a 20 inch minimum barrel but i have found 2 complete uppers in .224 that both have ultra match barrels, but they are 18 inches... they say the worst groups shot out of them are .59 and the best is .40 at 100 yards...

and they are only 189 and 199...

might grab one just because thats pretty cheap, and if they guarantee that accuracy, for 200 bucks thats hard to beat on price...

there are a couple things i dont honestly care for right off the bat with this rifle... 1, while the trigger is very nice, its a 2 stage, which to me is odd on an AR, but if being used for precision and long range, it will work excellent...

second, while it is a MagPul stock, its got that typical AR rigid feeling on my face, its not really an issue, but i would honestly rather have an adjustable one with cheek riser ect... a company called LUTH-AR makes one for about 150 bucks that looks nice...

i will probably just go with the same SWFA tactical rings i used on my 700.. and Midway has a Athlon Optics ARGOS BTR 6-24x50 FFP scope for 800... same scope is on Amazon for 370... i likely will be going with that one, all of the reviews on a few places say they are on par with Vortex or the Bushnell Elite scopes which are alot more expensive....

#1004447 - 02/26/19 11:02 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Evo
that is a 18 inch 5.56 barrel, im going to keep that the way it is, and get another upper...

i do want a 20 inch minimum barrel but i have found 2 complete uppers in .224 that both have ultra match barrels, but they are 18 inches... they say the worst groups shot out of them are .59 and the best is .40 at 100 yards...

and they are only 189 and 199...

might grab one just because thats pretty cheap, and if they guarantee that accuracy, for 200 bucks thats hard to beat on price...

there are a couple things i dont honestly care for right off the bat with this rifle... 1, while the trigger is very nice, its a 2 stage, which to me is odd on an AR, but if being used for precision and long range, it will work excellent...

second, while it is a MagPul stock, its got that typical AR rigid feeling on my face, its not really an issue, but i would honestly rather have an adjustable one with cheek riser ect... a company called LUTH-AR makes one for about 150 bucks that looks nice...

i will probably just go with the same SWFA tactical rings i used on my 700.. and Midway has a Athlon Optics ARGOS BTR 6-24x50 FFP scope for 800... same scope is on Amazon for 370... i likely will be going with that one, all of the reviews on a few places say they are on par with Vortex or the Bushnell Elite scopes which are alot more expensive....

They must be crap at that price.
A decent barrel is going to cost more than that.

Magpul PRS > Luth AR

Nice AR
Buy your mags before they go to 10 round max.
Pmags, Okay Sure Feed and Lancer are the good ones and they are cheap right now.

#1004449 - 02/27/19 05:38 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

They are normally 500+, but are on "sale"...

I'll have to do some research first for sure....
https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Davids...led_p_9142.html

They look nice, but looks on the internet can be deceiving....

#1004464 - 02/27/19 10:37 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

They are normally 500+, but are on "sale"...

I'll have to do some research first for sure....
https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Davids...led_p_9142.html

They look nice, but looks on the internet can be deceiving....

I don't know if I would trust them.
Funky business name is sometimes the first clue and that box is checked.

Even PSA, who is kind of middle of the road gets $350.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-r...utm_campaign=cl

#1004467 - 02/27/19 11:07 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

looks like you are correct DD... some people think the parts are made in China...

ill be staying away for sure...

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1308604

https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/long-guns/427314-davidson-defense-upper-not-so-good.html

there are a couple positive reviews, but there are too many negatives around for me to be willing to try them....

maybe ill start with PSA and go from there... i can always order just a barrel and get exactly what i want, and use the hardware off the PSA to finish it...

#1004682 - 03/01/19 04:57 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

so i picked up a new scope today from another member, its an Atibal NOMAD 3-12X44, dual illuminated, V-plex BDC...

very crisp glass, i like it as much as my SWFA...

next i want to get the charging handle, mine is small, and the one on his .450 was big and very sturdy feeling... mine is actually semi difficult now to grab unless i do it from the left side due to the scope... easy fix tho... its not that difficult i just want it bigger...

id like to get a small chunk of rail and put a bipod on it as well...

the grip i may switch out to a Hogue, or something with a palm shelf, havent decided yet, i will shoot this as is first... maybe tomorrow...

i can deal with the butt for now, id like to get the Magpul PRS like you suggested DD, looks clean and solid...

anyways, here it is now... (i did move the front and rear rings forward after noticing how far back they were in the picture, looked funky..) THANKS SCOTT!!!

#1004691 - 03/01/19 08:25 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Like.

The Gunfighter Mod 4 (medium, non-ambi)) is probably the most popular charging handle upgrade.
(about $50)

Radian is getting popular as well.
My QC-10 AR9 came with a Radian (the lite is about $52)

#1004705 - 03/02/19 03:51 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

well the MPR is a lazer beam... and it loves NATO rounds for some reason... was using the Aguila 5.56 62 grain FMJ BT, some of the "cheaper" ammo at Sportsmans... luckily first shot was actually on the paper, it was high and a tad left, so i cranked down and over, and surprisingly, i was in the red...

couple more tweaks and it shot pretty well....

this was 8 rounds if i remember right... i was trying to push it to 10 but they called a cold range before i could finish...

what it didnt like, was the Atomic Law Enforcement Match .223 ammo with the 77 grain tipped SMK bullet... i shot 5 rounds of that and it was about a 3 inch group, so now i have 15 rounds of cool looking .223 ammo that shoots like sh!t... it can go with the 15 rounds of 200 grain ELD-X ammo i have for the .300 WM that shoots like sh!t...

after dialing in the MPR, i started shooting the 700... ive come to the conclusion that im putting a brake on it.... and a stock, id like a chassis system, well see, brake first.... theres a company called Area 419, they are on FB and have a website... the last 5 i think it was national champions at the PRS matches use Area 419 brakes... tad spendy, but you get what you pay for....

overall im impressed with the MPR, the stock didnt bug me as much as i thought it would, i do want to get the charging handle tho... and the trigger... im actually impressed, and liked it alot... could be a little lighter, but its ok for now...

overall im 100 percent happy with both the rifle and the scope... might try some 55 grainers in it to see what they do, but the 62s work great... i also bought some Mag Tech 62 5.56 ammo but didnt run them today, was having too much fun with the Aguila....

#1004706 - 03/02/19 04:38 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

#1005325 - 03/11/19 05:22 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i was googling info regarding the "sportsmans range" (range 15) on JBLM, and came across a place i actually have never heard of (same thing when i bought the MPR, i bought it at Brads in Lake Tapps, never knew they were there), the place is Surplus Arms and Ammo in Tacoma...

so i took the drive out there to get a charging handle...

AWESOME little store.. they have everything, suppressors, rifles, hand guns, uppers, lowers, BCG's, trigger groups, ammo ect...

i looked at the BCM and Radian, which were both about 55 bucks, then i saw this cool red one that had a large latch on the left side... it was like 35... almost bought it until i found out it was made in Taiwan...

i ended up getting their "house brand" for 40 bucks, lifetime warranty if it breaks, they replace it... its an ambi handle which i like as well, and alot bigger than the standard Ruger handle... i could have just gotten a latch for like 10 bucks, but i like this ambi handle, it works flawlessly and feels nice and solid...

oh and that place has TONS of Black Hills ammo, its 30-40 bucks for 50 rounds of .223, but my Bushmaster loved the stuff, so im thinking this will too...

we went all over hell and back this weekend to try to shoot, main place i go had 2 feet of snow still on the road (outside Eatonville), so i decided to turn around and go further down the main road, ended up at the Alder cuttoff, so said screw it we will go to Elbe... got there, noticed that Ashford was 7 miles away... said screw it lets go... ended up at the main gate for Mt. Rainer and snow chains were required... so we turned back around and ended up going into the Mt Tahoma area where there is a ski park, drove all the way up into about 6-8 feet of snow rofl

didnt get to shoot, but i found a ton of areas you can shoot, after the snow melts....

#1005334 - 03/11/19 06:52 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

the place is Surplus Arms and Ammo in Tacoma...

so i took the drive out there to get a charging handle...

AWESOME little store.. they have everything, suppressors, rifles, hand guns, uppers, lowers, BCG's, trigger groups, ammo ect...

So yer like a fetus when it comes to AR stuff and AR stores, eh ?

smile

#1005335 - 03/11/19 07:16 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

in a way, yes, but no...

i had a Bushmaster XM E2S 15 or so years ago... i bought it from a guy i worked with, it was from the mayor of Portland at the time... paid 580 for it, cleaned it once, shot 4K+ rounds out of it, and sold it for 580, which i then used to buy a Ruger M77 MK II stainless .338 Win Mag...

that was a mistake... rofl

before, and since then, i was always kinda an AK guy even tho i dont think super highly of them... (the Siaga AK100 rifles are a different story, as well as Vepr and Drags and whatnot)...

ive owned alot, SKS's AK's AKM's AMD-65s, MAK-90s, you know, the various variants...

cool guns, but they are literally only for mowing people down... they are reliable and function, but the accuracy is bullsh!t... that and the X39 round is junk IMO...

i like accuracy, and my Bushmaster was extremely accurate, with Black Hills... i want precision, not volume... always been that way...

im not unfamiliar with them, i can take the thing apart just as fast as i always have been, clean them right, ect... i just never had the money after selling the BM, they jumped in price and went through the roof... AK's did too, but they were 600 bucks cheaper to get one, and you could go spray 100 bucks worth of ammo out and beat yourself up on a weekend and it was fun... and cheap...

but in a way, im semi unfamiliar with what i can do with them... brands, ect... they were just too expensive for me to justify spending that kind of money, when i could have just got a bolt gun and out shot the things accuracy wise each and every time...

kinda grown a bit i guess, and i appreciate them alot more, but im still the same in a way... i wanted an AR 10, so i could do a 6.5 rifle and have the .308 as well, but i was told the DPMS Bull 24 rifles arent that accurate, so i want with the Ruger cuz of the Valkyrie and the Grendel options... i didnt want to spend 2500+ dollars on doing it and i didnt want to spend 1500 on the rifle right now... so i opted for the MPR which i got for 742 out the door...

so with buying the scope and gun, im at 942...

got 3 Pmag gen 2 mags, i paid 13 a piece for, and at Surplus i just got a AMEND 2 MOD 2 30 rounder for under 10 bucks... things are built like a tank, they had one in the store they drove over with a truck, and it still functions flawlessly, so i figured what the hell...

so no, not a fetus... more like a pre teen with ADD....

#1005337 - 03/11/19 08:28 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Nate, I hear there is a 1k yard range in the Ravensdale Area. I've never been there but have heard good things about it.

- Albert Einstein.

#1005339 - 03/11/19 09:18 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Thanks.

- Albert Einstein.

#1005346 - 03/12/19 03:51 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

in a way, yes, but no...

i had a Bushmaster XM E2S 15 or so years ago... i bought it from a guy i worked with, it was from the mayor of Portland at the time... paid 580 for it, cleaned it once, shot 4K+ rounds out of it, and sold it for 580, which i then used to buy a Ruger M77 MK II stainless .338 Win Mag...

that was a mistake... rofl

before, and since then, i was always kinda an AK guy even tho i dont think super highly of them... (the Siaga AK100 rifles are a different story, as well as Vepr and Drags and whatnot)...

ive owned alot, SKS's AK's AKM's AMD-65s, MAK-90s, you know, the various variants...

cool guns, but they are literally only for mowing people down... they are reliable and function, but the accuracy is bullsh!t... that and the X39 round is junk IMO...

i like accuracy, and my Bushmaster was extremely accurate, with Black Hills... i want precision, not volume... always been that way...

im not unfamiliar with them, i can take the thing apart just as fast as i always have been, clean them right, ect... i just never had the money after selling the BM, they jumped in price and went through the roof... AK's did too, but they were 600 bucks cheaper to get one, and you could go spray 100 bucks worth of ammo out and beat yourself up on a weekend and it was fun... and cheap...

but in a way, im semi unfamiliar with what i can do with them... brands, ect... they were just too expensive for me to justify spending that kind of money, when i could have just got a bolt gun and out shot the things accuracy wise each and every time...

kinda grown a bit i guess, and i appreciate them alot more, but im still the same in a way... i wanted an AR 10, so i could do a 6.5 rifle and have the .308 as well, but i was told the DPMS Bull 24 rifles arent that accurate, so i want with the Ruger cuz of the Valkyrie and the Grendel options... i didnt want to spend 2500+ dollars on doing it and i didnt want to spend 1500 on the rifle right now... so i opted for the MPR which i got for 742 out the door...

so with buying the scope and gun, im at 942...

got 3 Pmag gen 2 mags, i paid 13 a piece for, and at Surplus i just got a AMEND 2 MOD 2 30 rounder for under 10 bucks... things are built like a tank, they had one in the store they drove over with a truck, and it still functions flawlessly, so i figured what the hell...

so no, not a fetus... more like a pre teen with ADD....

Pmag Gen 2 will go on sale for $9
So for a polymer mag, I don't stray from Pmag

The best metal mags come from a plant in Hartford, CT
They can say either NHMTG, Colt or Okay on the base plate.
Lately Okay Sure Feed mags are the easiest to find.
Under $10 on sale.
Don't forget to get a few 20rd mags for bench shooting.

#1005633 - 03/17/19 05:26 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

so i went to Range 15 on JBLM today to run more rounds through the MPR and 10/22...

first off, that range, is the best one ive been to yet, they have targets from 25-300 yards, its covered, laid back atmosphere, lots of Military guys around, all in all, i loved it....

now, onto the shooting...

i fired 5 rounds at 100 yards, still zeroed, so i said fvck it, im going after the 12 inch plate at 300 yards...

when i first got there, the RSO, i asked if they were the 300 yard targets, which he replied yes... i said OK im gonna take some shots, he asked what i was shooting, i said 5.56 ammo, Ruger MPR AR, which he kinda chuckled, and said "good luck, they arent that easy to hit"...

the scope i bought, i think is more designed for the .308 bullet drop, not sure, but i figured it out...

first shot i missed but i saw where it hit, second i missed, but i saw where that hit.... 3rd through 150 rounds i think i missed it 2 more times.... the RSO started asking me questions rofl

he was surprised i wasnt "military" as alot of the guys shooting at those targets couldnt hit sh!t, and i could see their impacts in the dirt, and there were quite a few military guys there, along with people that "think" they are military with their 400 pound AR's with a bunch of sh!t on them...

had a few guys come up and ask me what i was shooting, i told them, and every one of them said "thats you with all the ringing noise i take it", some of them seemed kinda flustered that they couldnt do it, so i politely gave them some tips on how and what i was doing, so they could try to replicate it... some of them actually started doing well rather quickly, and you could tell their "happiness" grew as the time went along...

everyone was respectful, listened for the most part, didnt see any stupid things going on that i have seen at other ranges... place was clean, benches kinda sucked, i had to sit on my foot get get high enough to be comfortable, oh well, it worked...

this is probably one of, if not, the most accurate rifle ive ever bought out of the box... completely satisfied, and get more impressed with it every time i pull the trigger... shot 62 grain FMJ BT rounds, and 55 grain FMJ BT rounds, brands were Aguila(62) and Winchester (55)... the 55s were obviously a little faster, but shot about the same at 300, rifle ate them all, and loved it....

so, started to mess with the 10/22.....

started at 100 since the target was at 100 already, i think the thing was sighted in at 50 i cant remember, but with the CCI mini mags, i was low about 10 inches or around there, made some adjustments, and got it close... one thing for certain, is that as we had talked about on my 22 thread, when the bullets drop through that super sonic barrier, they get wonky... so i got it semi dialed at 100, and said screw it lets try 300...

i could see the vapor trail at 100 and the bullet arc ect... at 300 you can see it for a bit, but then lose sight of it... what i could see was the bullet impacts since that is a 16X scope and the AR scope is a 12X max power which i could still see the impacts on the steel with...

hit the target a couple times with the .22, but by all means, didnt do it alot, it was fun trying...

for a second...

loaded the mag, sat down, got ready, and fired...

a bunch of sh!t hit me in the face, and the magazine flew out of the bottom of it and to the left of me, at that point i knew something had happened....

ive shot well over 100K .22 LR rounds in my life, and i have NEVER had this happen, the RSO had never seen this happen either.... im sure it has to some people, but definitely not me...

looked into the chamber, and there was a case still in the breech, took a rod, and popped it out....

and this is what happened....

ive actually never in my life had a case rupture, in any caliber... kinda freaky, even if it was just a .22... it actually had me spooked for a second when i went back to shooting the MPR because ive seen people put 5.56 in rifles chambered for .223, and they blow the magazines apart and whatnot, sometimes the guns blow up themselves...

i think i will contact CCI and see what they say about it... i still have the case, dont have the box so i dont have the lot number but you can clearly tell what brand it is....

end all, gun is lights out, fantastic, i love it, and cant wait to get a .224 Valkyrie upper, maybe in a week or so.... im going to go with the same brand scope, but just the 4-16 or 6-24X version... it performed flawlessly when i figured out what needed to be done...

the only downside to Range 15, is that no magnum centerfire rifles are allowed... period... meaning no .300 Win Mag, or 7MM ect... at all...

besides that, its a great range, and will be going back friday afternoon or Saturday to run 300 again....

#1005658 - 03/18/19 11:09 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

yes wasnt bad at all except for the little mishap... really cool place, im glad i stuck with the plan and figured it out... i was told by multiple people that it was military only, no civilians, but everyone at the range said that was wrong....

let me know when you plan on going out, id like to stretch the reach a little further, if its alright of course....

#1005755 - 03/20/19 03:57 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

got the Hogue grip today from Quantico, they were the only place i could find it at around here... feels great... should have paid attention tho...

they have the Hogue grip that i bought for 26 bucks, and the butt as well, which is basically just like the MagPul i have, but coated on top with rubber...

butt was 55 bucks, butt and grip was 55 bucks smh...

oh well...

also looked at triggers, but im not trying to spend 300 bucks on a Geissele trigger... and i likely would only lose about a pound, maybe a pound and a half... ill continue shooting this as is and get everything broken in and then see what i want to do...

not sure if im going to buy an upper, or just buy another rifle... the Stag 15 and Savage MSR 15 are both around 1k, but i can tell 100 percent i wont be a fan of the MSR butt, the Stag uses the MagPul PRS stock on it already.... i could always get a PSA upper, then an Aero lower, i can get the lowers for like 250 and the upper for 400 ish...

at some point i would like to get either the Remingon PCR, the Ruger RPR, or a Savage BA Stealth in 6.5 Creed... ill have to decide what i want to do first obviously..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 321 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |