THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1006259 - 03/30/19 12:43 PM Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath)
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm looking to upgrade from my 16.5 ft riveted Smokercraft (960lbs with a 250lb main motor) to an 18ft (or so) welded aluminum boat.

However, I'm hoping to still be able to to tow it my 4 cylinder Jeep with a 2000lb towing capacity.

Does anyone have any opinions on Klamath windshield models? They've got a 7 degree deadrise at the transom, so I'm concerned about a rough ride in the Sound, but they are super light for their size. https://klamathboats.com/boats/windshield/

Otherwise, it looks like an Alumaweld Talon might be my best bet for size/weight. Any opinions on whether a 60 or 70 hp prop motor (weighing approximately 250 lbs) will be sufficient for an 18' boat with a 1060lb dry weight?

Hewescraft Sportsman 18' models are rated at 1200lbs dry weight, and I'm worried that I'll be pushing capacity.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#1006260 - 03/30/19 04:13 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

Motor....power to weight......4 stroke, just weight more than a 2 stroke.

I looked at them all, Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and ETech.

I went with a ETech, its a 2 stroke jet. I would LOVE to try my boat with a prop, but even with the pump....hauls ass!!!!

Next vehicle....don't buy a 4 cylinder....most SUV's, and trucks come with V6, and can pull 5000 pound trailers.....

Good luck !!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1006274 - 03/31/19 10:02 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

I'm definitely going to get a 4 stroke motor. Don't want to deal with the hassle of mixing oil nor the smell.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on how a boat with a sharp bow angle but 7 degree transom deadrise would fare in the Sound (or has experience with Klamath boats with those specs), or what kind of horsepower is sufficient for a 18' Talon.

Or if anyone has other suggestions for lightweight aluminum boats

Edited by MPM (03/31/19 10:02 AM)

#1006289 - 04/01/19 06:59 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
drapp Offline
Egg

I would take it a step further and recommend looking only at fuel injected motors. Unless you are pretty mechanical a carb cleaning sure is costly. I have a 16 foot smokercraft phantom and really like it. It certainly pounds in chop, but I think most boats you are looking at will. One other thing to consider if you are going to use it on the sound much is finding a boat with a splashwell in back. There has been a decent number of times I am glad that we have one. The klamath boats sure look nice though really a no frills fishing boat.

#1006293 - 04/01/19 07:51 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
You will be pushing you towing capacity. You need to add fuel and everything else. Don't forget to check your Gross vehicle weight rating. It gets really easy to get overloaded doing this and if something happens your insurance will not cover you.

#1006296 - 04/01/19 09:01 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Yeah, I'm already pushing capacity with my current boat. I figure if I add 100lbs of boat weight (with a Talon) I'll still be ok.

I'm really tempted by the Klamaths, since they are so lightweight (and require less motor power/weight), but I'm concerned that a 7 degree deadrise at the transom will end up being rougher than my current boat with any kind of chop.

They make a center console version with a 14 degree deadrise (750lbs dry weight for a 19' model!), but a windshield is pretty important for family comfort.

#1006297 - 04/01/19 09:08 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
It sounds like you've boxed your self in pretty tight due to the tow vehicle. If you're wanting to get a boat that will do everything you want, and not just settle, I would suggest stepping up the tow vehicle first. I know it's a big deal, but it sounds like you're serious about fishing and getting the family out in a safe, fun boat, so an investment in a vehicle that will tow "The right" boat is something you should consider first. Been where you are and found I spent more money in the long run.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1006299 - 04/01/19 09:49 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
I've used this before

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

It can be surprising how fast you become over loaded.

#1006300 - 04/01/19 09:52 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
COOPDUCK Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lake Stevens
Buy whatever suits you best. For the record, modern two strokes do not require you to mix oil, they are direct oil injected. Two stroke oil goes into a separate reservoir, and is injected into the motor with the fuel, no muss, no fuss. And just my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to smell a ton of difference between a modern two stroke and a 4 stroke. Finally, carbs are certainly old technology. They've been around so long because they work reliably. Filling up with quality fuel, using a good fuel filter, and running the boat regularly is all the carb cleaning I've had to do in the last 12 years. Letting fuel sit for months and years is the death of any fuel system, carbs and fuel injectors alike. I'd rather clean or replace a carburetor than fuel injectors...

Having to mix oil, smoke and smell, and carb cleaning aren't reasons to not buy a two stroke. The reasons I would likely go to a 4 stroke in the future would be noise level, the reduced pollution of a fuel injected 4 stroke versus a carbed 2 stroke, and improved fuel efficiency. But I think I will miss the jump out of the hole of my VMAX!

#1006311 - 04/01/19 12:42 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

One concern I have about a 2 stroke with oil injected is that if the oil injector ever craps out while I'm on the water the motor might suffer serious damage before I realize what happened.

The funny thing is that I actually have a vehicle with a higher towing capacity, but it's the "nice" new one that my wife usually drives.

#1006313 - 04/01/19 01:19 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
COOPDUCK Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lake Stevens
Again, no horse in this race. But literally the ONLY issue my two stroke carbed main has ever given me in 12 years of ownership is literally that exact thing. The pump stopped working rounding possession on my way back to Mukliteo. Main immediately alarmed and throttled down. I ran back home on my kicker. When I got into the shop, the tech pointed out a backup pump unit on the main that can be manually engaged to allow safe and continued running to at least get you back home. Modern two strokes use decades old tech yes, but they are a lot smarter than Grandpa's old outboard.

I'm just saying, if you find a good deal on a well maintained and loved boat with a two stroke, don't be afraid of it.

#1006314 - 04/01/19 01:24 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

While I've got people here...any thoughts on Tohatsu outboards? I've got more psychological comfort with Yamaha or Honda brands, but I'm interested in other thoughts.

#1006316 - 04/01/19 02:21 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

My dock boat has a Tohatsu and is a very descent motor. Same engine as a Merc.

#1006353 - 04/02/19 10:37 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Quick Google:
Tohatsu Outboards[edit]
1956 ushered in the production of the first Tohatsu Outboards (1.5 hp). Since then, Tohatsu outboards have served a variety of marketplaces: commercial fishing, military, marine transport, surf life saving, recreation and competition racing. They are the second largest producer of outboards in the world.

A 2007 model Tohatsu outboard
Tohatsu produces outboards sold under their own brand, as well as for other companies. For instance, all Nissan outboard engines sold in North America were Tohatsus with a Nissan decal. In 1988 Tohatsu and Brunswick Corporation set up a joint venture named Tohatsu Marine Corporation.

In 2011, Tohatsu and Evinrude Outboard Motors made a deal to make smaller engines ranging from 15 HP and down with Evinrude decals.

There are a lot of Tohatsu motors out there that guys have spent a lot more money on because they have decals that read Honda, Evinrude or something else...

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1006401 - 04/03/19 09:30 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I can't recall the hp cutoff, but Tohatsu makes the smaller 4-stroke outboards for Evenrude, Mercury, and several others after the big change to either 4-stroke or low emission 2-stroke technology became the industry standard.

#1006402 - 04/03/19 09:35 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Remember when oars were cool?

#1006415 - 04/03/19 01:47 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Federal Way
MPM

I have been through a similar calculation before so I was curious to see how your were staying under 2000lbs with an 18' windshield boat unless you get the Klamath.

Alumaweld Talon would be:
Boat: 1060
35 gallons full 220
Trailer is about 550
Lightest Motor looks to be the Suzuki DF60 = 229 lbs
Total = 2059, without any fish in it.

You might consider looking at performance reports the outboard manufacturers have on their sites... that is what I have been doing for my re-power research. Wont find an exact match, but probably a good enough to get an idea of what the performance would look like.

When I was running my small aluminum boat on the sound, my best investment for comfort was the 4 blade prop so I could put the bow down and stay on plane at lower speeds.

#1006416 - 04/03/19 03:03 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: Mike Gilchrist]
MPM Offline
Spawner

To be honest, I hadn't done a detailed weight calculation yet (and wasn't sure what trailer weight would be). I was primarly just going off the fact that do ok with a boat that's 100 lbs lighter with motor of similar weight. However, the Talon has nearly twice as much fuel capacity as my current boat, so that would certainly make a difference.

So it's looking a lot more like a decision between a Klamath and convincing my wife to regularly let me use the other vehicle for boating!

#1006418 - 04/03/19 03:20 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Looks like a King trailer that can handle a 18' Talon weighs 475lbs, but a fully fueled/equipped Talon would definitely be pushing or exceeding my poor little Jeep's capacity.

#1006760 - 04/09/19 10:37 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
Spoonplugger1 Offline
Eyed Egg

I owned Bayrunners, very similar to the Klamaths, would get one again in a heartbeat if I still had a 4 cylinder truck. Ran them on both sides of the US, ran out of Coos Bay, the Columbia, ran San Francisco in and out including the Delta. Fished Lake Berryessa and Clear Lake also.
Was stationed in Miami and ran my boat to work from N. Miami Beach. Went out and fished the outside through Haulover Cut, check out the Youtube vids for the water conditions there. Even ran it to Bimini for a tournament, they had a class of 18 ft. and under.
Fantastic boats that haul ass with smaller outboards and fuel needs.
Ever notice what the Batson clan runs?

#1006818 - 04/10/19 02:27 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: Spoonplugger1]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Spoonplugger,

I think Klamath bought Valco, which used to make the bayrunners. Klamath makes Bayrunner Baja models, which look great except that I want a full windshield for family comfort.

#1006875 - 04/10/19 07:32 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

You might want to look at Gregor boats. I've had a Gregor Seahawk (no longer made) for nearly 30 years and have used it all over the NW. The current model that might fit your needs is the Eagle 18'. It looks like a really nice boat. The only drawback is that I can't seem to find a dealer in WA. According to Gregor, the nearest dealer is St. Johns Marine Center in Portland.

#1007063 - 04/13/19 10:53 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
outfishn Offline
Returning Adult

#1007084 - 04/14/19 06:38 PM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: outfishn]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Whoah, that's tempting outfishn. thanks!

Edited by MPM (04/14/19 06:38 PM)

#1007195 - 04/16/19 08:55 AM Re: Lightweight Welded Aluminum Boats (Talon, Klamath) [Re: MPM]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham
Tohatsu made Nissan's(now just called Tohatsu), and my Tohatsu kicker ran flawlessly till it got stolen. All Mercury 30 hp and under are now made by Tohatsu. Surprisingly the 30/40/50 hp Mercurys are made in China, then the 75 and up are made in Wisconsin....I don't know anyone with an E-tec that doesn't love it, and if weight is a factor on the boat, I'd call it #1 choice. As already stated, all larger 2 strokes since the late 80's/early 90's are oil injected and in 20 yrs with 2 different 90's Yamahas, never didn't make it home because of oil system(inaccurate fuel gauge made me come in on the kicker a few times). Your jeep might be able to tow/launch just fine, till the day something bad happens. If you want to go to the Eastside, also consider what it will do to your drivetrain going over the pass....Good luck in your quest, Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 374 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |