Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1007196 - 04/16/19 09:32 AM Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Apparently, there are cracks in the wall of secrecy surrounding North of Falcon. Check out this article.

Salmon Chronicle: Salmon managers not standing up for recreational fishermen

#1007197 - 04/16/19 09:45 AM Re: Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s [Re: Bay wolf]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Surprising?.....Nope.
What about that tribal director that got caught up in that poaching investigation.
Now that's surprising.
So we just keep funding the state and none of them can go to bat for us. Hmmm.

#1007430 - 04/18/19 06:57 AM Re: Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
As a former manager of salmonids, my purpose (perhaps that's why I wasn't a manager long) was to the resource. Management was successful only if the escapement goal was achieved. Period.

Next in line was achievement of International allocations, whether US/Canada or Tribes/NI. After that, it was the user groups within NI, which was the only management authority we had.

So, in my mind, if the stocks are sustainable and at or above goal we then argue over how the harvest is shared. Below that level, it should be the fish.

Not saying that is today's mindset, but that is how I was taught and expected to act.

#1007433 - 04/18/19 08:15 AM Re: Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Look, I advocated for Larry Carpenter’s re-appointment to the Commission after long conversations with him while working on our Open North of Falcon movement. We were very encouraged by his verbal commitment to full and complete transparency and his outrage over the culture of secrecy within WDFW. But, as we can see, once appointed and given the Chairmen-ship, all of a sudden he is fully involved in the perpetration of even greater skullduggery.

Unfortunately for us, as long as the Commissioners continue to do the bidding of the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission, they will enjoy the protection of the Tribes both politically and financially.

We all know where the loyalties of our esteemed Governor and many of our politicians lay. Campaign donations are not that hard to trace.

So that only leaves public activism and legal action as a method to stop this continued flawed Co-management process that is fraught with secrecy.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1007483 - 04/18/19 01:37 PM Re: Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I dunno, all this talk about transparency. . .

I can see how it could greatly hamper and inflame progress by having the proceedings completely open to the public and transparent. I actually don't trust that the rec sector could behave itself in such an environment, and we would probably shoot ourselves in the feet by being reactionary to some of the political and negotiation tactics used. Further, I highly doubt that Joe rec fisher, sitting in on NOF with a microphone available, has any semblance of a complete understanding of the rules, reg's, history and dynamics at stake. I know I don't, and I actually have a bit of an interest in it. So I'm not sure complete transparency is a great goal.

I'm fine foregoing transparency, as long as I have faith that those who are negotiating on my behalf are representing my interests, and the interests of the fish, and that they're being honest with me. This is where it's all in the tank here for me. I'm getting the sense that the Department is not representing my interests or the fish's interests (0 fer 2?). And further, they may be misleading us. I hope I'm wrong on those assertions, but evidence seems to come up which doesn't look good. Better representation is a better goal in my opinion, than transparency. I'm grateful for all the efforts put forth by Beowulf and friends in this, I really am, and I think your heart's in the right place, doing it for the right reasons. It's just my .02,

I don't need to see how the hotdogs are made. As long as I know they won't kill me,

fb

#1007497 - 04/18/19 02:23 PM Re: Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks fb, I agree that a room full of Rec fishermen would probably be difficult. That’s why we have advocated for a live video feed, without delay or edits as a means of transparency. If they are truly negotiating in good faith and WDFW is advocated for us, why are they not willing to broadcast it for us all to see?

#1007498 - 04/18/19 02:35 PM Re: Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s [Re: Bay wolf]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma

What do you do when the hot dogs are making you sick and you realize they eventually probably will kill you? If you actually trust the State to be negotiating in a way that best represents your interests, then I think you are naïve.

I agree that having the average sportsman speaking at the negotiation table could be bad. I am sure that the Tribes don't want many of their people there either. Providing access to the room, most likely through closed circuit camera, should be allowed, and is, in my opinion, required by law.

#1007499 - 04/18/19 02:39 PM Re: Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I see where you're coming from PM.

And krijack, I'm starting to get sick from the hotdogs. We might need a different recipe!

fb

#1007504 - 04/18/19 03:52 PM Re: Salmon Managers are NOT Looking out for Rec’s [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
One of the things which I think WDFW should do is hold an open meeting with recs. At that meeting they would start with what has been agreed-to at NOF and then permitted by the Feds. Next, folks would say "I prefer A", which would be modeled, inlacing where the NI fisheries would need to be changed to accommodate that fishery.

I don't think that there is enough clarity and understanding of what has to be given up here to get a fishery there.

This would also include clear reasoning why the sharing is not 50:50; wherever there are consistent deviations.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |