THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1007285 - 04/16/19 08:50 PM CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing.
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
And yet another organization recognizing that things are beyond screwed up! Once again WDFW/Commission taking away from Sportsmen in favor of Tribal Gill Nets. One guess where all the dirty deals are done? Something or someone has got to take a stand and say “ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!”

CCA’s Call to Action: WDFW is at War with Sportfishing!

#1007289 - 04/16/19 09:13 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
done, with a personal letter added

#1007291 - 04/16/19 09:36 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

I give CCA credit for bringing this issue into the mainstream. And for the letters sent. But honestly, how many letters have been sent, how many guys have spoken to the Commission? How many years has group after group, organization after organization expressed concern and frustration with NO REAL IMPROVEMENT! A wise man once told me, they only listen to people who can sue them. I’ve said it before, ad nauseam, WE ARE LOSING THE MOUNTAIN A PEBBLE AT A TIME. Everytime we say, this sucks, but at least we get something, we are agreeing it’s ok. And we allow them to take a little more next time.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1007323 - 04/17/19 10:36 AM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
As long as we feed them (license sales) they will live.

#1007325 - 04/17/19 10:42 AM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Carcassman]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

+1 cman.

#1007414 - 04/17/19 08:50 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Sorry that this is probably not PC in the Puget Sound area, but it's becoming ever more clear to me that the tribes are running the show in this state. I've been a CCA member for years, but it increasingly seems that any victories for the sports fisherman, however small, are feeling more and more out of reach.

#1007419 - 04/17/19 09:25 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

Edward,you are correct. The tribes are running the state fisheries and WDFW has no power or leverage. This thing called "co-management" is an absolute joke.

#1007424 - 04/17/19 11:00 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Interesting that it has been reported that the Oregon Gov. has replaced four ODFW Commissioners and filled a vacant fifth slot out of a total of seven. The terms of some of those replaced were due to expire in the coming months so whether this is a slick political move to replace commissioners who indicated no desire to continue for an additional term or a cleansing is not clear.

If it represents a cleansing and the replacements were selected with some level of marching orders to get the CR reforms back on track it could have implications for our Commission and its recent CR decisions.

Wish I had been a fly on the Oregon Gov's wall during those conversations.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1007425 - 04/18/19 05:51 AM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
Our WDFW Commissioners are now politically vulnerable in light of the actions taken by Oregon's Governor...and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Our Governor continues to travel cross country in pursuit of a pipe dream, while, in Olympia, a deepening crisis re: Fisheries Management lies squarely on his desk.

Can this fiasco get any worse? I dare say so. If these recent developments can't galvanize the various factions within the Recreational/Commercial Fishermen's ranks--nothing can, or will.

The showdown many of us have anticipated is now closely at hand. We are at the proverbial fork in the road--and the actions taken by WDFW leadership and the stakeholders in the days and weeks at hand, will have a telling impact on our resource in the decades ahead.

Commit to being part of the solution, rather than the problem--and do it for one overwhelming reason--that being, " It's the right thing to do."

#1007426 - 04/18/19 06:16 AM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
If we are going to play the "blame game" let's be honest about it!

Yes the currently tribes do have absolute veto power of how the non-treaty fisheries occur. Until a few years ago following the ESA listing Puget Sound our fisheries operated under a federal "take" permit issued jointly to the co-managers (see various versions of the Puget Sound co-manager Chinook plans). As the Puget Sound Chinook status continued to decline the Feds rightly wanted a lowering of fishing related impacts on key stocks and were discussing that with the co-managers. In that climate at the urging and recommendation of the recreational community (and yes CCA was there) the State opted to attempted get its own permit.

I sure that we all remember the pain that cause and the complete failure in the State's ability to get their separate permit. With the tribes federal nexus via their BIA funding they quickly got their own permit with the result being that any non-treaty fisheries in Puget Sound ESA impacts are being covered under the tribal permit.

The question is the recreational community going to ignore their own role in this mess and continue down the "blame game". Is there any voices of reason out there looking for reasonable united way forward?

Of course all the above ignores the real "elephant" in the room. Since the ESA listing of the Puget Sound Chinook the key population parameters (abundance, productivity, and diversity) for the major of the population have consistently decline. This is result in declining allowable impacts on several key stocks. This has and will continue make allowing mixed stock fisheries more and more difficult (read that to mean fewer opportunities) with a continuing shift to more terminal harvest (away from the more limiting stocks).

Curt

#1007428 - 04/18/19 06:51 AM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I don't recall that WDFW actually applied for approval; they talked about it. I also recall that they said they were going to apply for the next one and didn't.

I do agree that the continued decline in Chinook, with little or no noticeable improvement in Chinook or SRKWs since listing suggests a new path is needed. That path, as Smalma points out, must concentrate harvest post-whales in the terminal areas. I seriously doubt that the Tribes want all the fisheries terminal, with recs needing access to their 50% of the adults. In the bays, on the rivers.

#1007429 - 04/18/19 06:55 AM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Letter to my legislators sent.

#1007436 - 04/18/19 08:44 AM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

FWIW my recollection of recent history is that when the tribes and State could not agree at NOF the tribes went to the BIA and obtained a "permit" to fish and in doing so impact an ESA listed species essentially usurping the legislative authority of NOAA/NMFS.

That caused a great deal of angst at the State level (and probably within NOAA/NMFS) and considerable discussion about the State seeking its own permit. Ultimately the State did not pursue its own permit due, as I recall, to the costs, time to process, and threat that once its permit was submitted it would no longer be able to ride on the shirttails of the tribal permit meaning the possibility of limited or no fishing.

Have our circumstances continued to deteriorate to the point where the State should take the risk and seek its own permit? If it were to do so would NOAA/NMFS really cut off our fisheries or would it seek to reinforce its authority over the process and issue a temporary permit?

Dept. of Commerce vs. Dept. of Interior. Game on.

#1007481 - 04/18/19 01:21 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
That's my recollection too Larry. Not sure I recall the state applying and failing to get its own permit. Would be a time-consuming process. I do recall the BIA "approving" the tribal coho slaughter up there a couple years back. Not funding or backing it, but in an unorthodox manner, rubber stamping and green-lighting it. When the BIA developed oversight of ESA impact fisheries escapes me. I could be wrong, but that's what memory serves.

fb

#1007482 - 04/18/19 01:34 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: fishbadger]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: fishbadger
That's my recollection too Larry. Not sure I recall the state applying and failing to get its own permit. Would be a time-consuming process. I do recall the BIA "approving" the tribal coho slaughter up there a couple years back. Not funding or backing it, but in an unorthodox manner, rubber stamping and green-lighting it. When the BIA developed oversight of ESA impact fisheries escapes me. I could be wrong, but that's what memory serves.

fb

No, the State never did apply.......but should they reconsider now??

And, yes, the BIA did actively support it by issuing its own "permit" which the tribes acted upon.

#1007484 - 04/18/19 01:41 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

The state will never walk until we have a governor who wants to engage. That's where the marching orders come from and the last thing Inslee wants is a public fight with the tribes over who gets to kill the salmon he says we need to feed to the orcas. The tribes know this and WDFW knows this.

The only way this will change is for WDFW to call the feds' bluff and the tribes' bluff. If they walk out, you'll have both the commercial fleet and recreational side putting immense political pressure on.

Do you think our federal representatives and senators are going to allow their constituents to lose millions or billions of dollars because the feds won't process the permit because they might have to make a decision? Next time fishing is down and the tribes play hardball, the state needs to walk and do it publicly. It's a political bomb the nobody is going to want to deal with. The feds did some serious hand wringing last go round.

#1007491 - 04/18/19 02:07 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Of course, we (the Recs and NI Commercials) will have to come together like never before and in numbers like never before and stay together, like never before. I was at the protest in front of NOAA when the tribes basically said “ up yours” during Coho gate. There were very few people there and as soon as it looked like we were not going to fish, there were a hell of a lot of guys that turned on Unsworth and demanded he capitulate, apologize to the tribes and get our permits. Which he promptly did.

The Co-management farce we have now makes me mad as hell, but as long as the majority of Rec fishermen are unwilling to take a hard stand and call the tribes bluff, it may never change. If we can get live video inside the Tribal/WDFW negotiations, it would go a long way in enlightenment!

#1007494 - 04/18/19 02:18 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

Status quo works because the average Joe doesn't know what's going on. Everyone just rides out the storm for a few months during season setting and it all dies down until the next go round. Rinse and repeat.

#1007495 - 04/18/19 02:20 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Has anyone asked specifically if it is in the process. I did a while back and was told the State was working on a proposal but was not ready to submit yet. The fact that the Tribes could put together a proposal in weeks and get it approved, but the state has had several years and still does not have anything ready yet raises a lot of doubt as to how serious the State is.

#1007496 - 04/18/19 02:22 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

The state is not serious. They've talked about it a few times and then the next NOF rolls around and nothing has been done.

#1007539 - 04/18/19 08:41 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Bay wolf]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

So why cant every sportsman that cares put their money into one monstrofic pot and sue the s#:! out of WDFW for descrimination. Hire the best lawyer and get to work. Prolly not that simple but one can fantasize.... wink

#1007583 - 04/19/19 11:22 AM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: cobble cruiser]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
So why cant every sportsman that cares put their money into one monstrofic pot and sue the s#:! out of WDFW for descrimination. Hire the best lawyer and get to work. Prolly not that simple but one can fantasize.... wink

Timothy Leary used to have that level of fantasy........

#1007641 - 04/19/19 04:45 PM Re: CCA: WDFW is at WAR with Sportfishing. [Re: Larry B]
vapidangler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Larry B

Timothy Leary used to have that level of fantasy........

Rofl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 983 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |