Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
WDFW NEWS RELEASE

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

April 22, 2019

Kyle Adicks, 360-902-2664

Lower Skagit River opens May 1 to fishing for hatchery spring chinook

OLYMPIA – For the first time in nearly 30 years, anglers will get the chance to fish for spring chinook salmon in the lower Skagit River next month.

State and tribal co-managers recently agreed to move forward with this year's fishery, based on the number of wild and hatchery fish projected to return to the river, said Edward Eleazer, regional fish manager for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

"We've seen a sufficient number of spring chinook returning to the Skagit River in the last several years to allow us to open this section of the river," Eleazer said. "This is essentially a new opportunity for most anglers. We hope it provides some great fishing this spring."

The fishery will be open for hatchery spring chinook from May 1 through May 31. Anglers fishing this section will have a daily limit of two hatchery chinook, which are marked with a clipped adipose fin, but must release all other species.

The lower Skagit fishery includes the area from the Highway 536 Bridge (Memorial Highway Bridge) in Mount Vernon to Gilligan Creek.
Eleazer noted that the upper Skagit River, from the Highway 530 Bridge at Rockport to the Cascade River Road, will open June 1 to fishing for spring hatchery chinook, as will the Cascade River, from the mouth to the Rockport-Cascade Road Bridge. More details on those fisheries can be found in the 2018-19 Sport Fishing Rules Pamphlet, available online at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations.

Edited by DrifterWA (04/22/19 04:22 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1007765 - 04/22/19 06:52 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Think how cool this could be if EVERYONE had to fish hook and line only. Just dreaming again...

#1007774 - 04/23/19 07:44 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
I don't want to be too negative on this as it's pretty cool that a fishery that has been closed for 30 years is now going to be open once again! However, I wonder what's in the fine print and since the tribe agreed to this fishery, what do they get out of it? I know from speaking to the local bio that the tribe is allowed a kill quota of almost 700 wild Steelhead in the Skagit system, which the bio at the time I spoke to him, did not think they would bother catching the entire quota. (BTW, those approximately 700 harvestable fish are the direct result of the co-managers agreement of a C & R Sport fishery on the Skagit and Sauk Systems). So with this "new" fishery does that mean most of those 700 Steelhead will get killed as by-catch now in the nets? And won't most of those Steelhead be down river kelts or fish close to spawning?

#1007775 - 04/23/19 08:35 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The Skagit tribes want to fish for the run of hatchery spring Chinook, and they have been doing so for a number of years. Their salmon fishing has been limited by the incidental take limit of ESA steelhead and ESA listed wild Chinook. The Skagit steelhead RMP allows a sliding scale of steelhead take based on the projected run size. This means that the tribes will be able to more fully access their spring Chinook allocation because of the increased steelhead take limit. And yes, a lot, if not most, of those steelhead are downstream bound kelts. But take counts all fish taken, whether pre or post spawn.

#1007776 - 04/23/19 10:27 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: Salmo g.]
blenny Offline
Fry

Saw some hooked and released steelies on the Sauk with gillnet marks about a month ago. These were 9+ lb fish and it looked like they were able to make it thru so I suspect the tribes are using larger netting for springers and probably catching some of the bigger steelies. Hope most of the skinnier kelts can make it thru

#1007778 - 04/23/19 12:20 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Hmm,
The Skagit gets just a prediction of 6,116 and a direct fishery is opened up on them. The White river gets a prediction of 5,799 and none are clipped due to the need to protect every last one.

#1007779 - 04/23/19 12:33 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Don’t try and dig too deep trying to figure this out. Even if you could crack the secrecy you may not like what you find.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1007787 - 04/23/19 03:26 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: Krijack]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: Krijack
Hmm,
The Skagit gets just a prediction of 6,116 and a direct fishery is opened up on them. The White river gets a prediction of 5,799 and none are clipped due to the need to protect every last one.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, they are different systems. One size does not fit all.

#1007788 - 04/23/19 03:42 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

yeah, the Skagit is 4 times the size of the White....

probably more like 10 times....

#1007802 - 04/23/19 09:24 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
Im surprised that its shocking to some that the tribe gets to net if sport get to fish. Just be glad you get a season up north.

#1007807 - 04/23/19 11:13 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: deerlick]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: deerlick
Im surprised that its shocking to some that the tribe gets to net if sport get to fish. Just be glad you get a season up north.

I don’t think the issue is they get to net, I think it’s more about what “deal” was made to allow us to fish.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1007809 - 04/24/19 06:45 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
Exactly Baywolf and I also wonder about all those Steelhead that will be killed as by-catch.

#1007811 - 04/24/19 07:07 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
What deal. Pretty obvious, they get to net more fish than you

#1007812 - 04/24/19 07:11 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: Krijack]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Hmm,

As future Coast, Straits and PS Chinook season restrictions increase to protect SRKW or the tribes tighten the noose more and more on Blackmouth and Fall Chinook seasons. I wonder if we will ever be able to open more river fisheries for Chinook, since harvest numbers and encounters in MA's will decrease? Like Puyallup/White Spring Chinook. If closures drop encounters in the salt, seems fair to provide opportunity elsewhere. If we ever get a change in the guard in the WDFW to negotiate tougher w/ the co-managers, at least their may be many new chips to negotiate with. Pipe dream?

#1007833 - 04/24/19 01:26 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: RUNnGUN]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Hmm,

As future Coast, Straits and PS Chinook season restrictions increase to protect SRKW or the tribes tighten the noose more and more on Blackmouth and Fall Chinook seasons. I wonder if we will ever be able to open more river fisheries for Chinook, since harvest numbers and encounters in MA's will decrease? Like Puyallup/White Spring Chinook. If closures drop encounters in the salt, seems fair to provide opportunity elsewhere. If we ever get a change in the guard in the WDFW to negotiate tougher w/ the co-managers, at least their may be many new chips to negotiate with. Pipe dream?

Not likely. Allowing recs to harvest kings in-river would be an admission that the ocean quotas they set had been too restrictive. There would be instant outcry from the commercial and ocean rec fleets.

Personally, if the new rules DO return more kings to the rivers, I'd want to see as many as possible on the gravel, so I'd rather they kept it closed. My fondest wish would be for the increased escapement to result in better numbers of smolts, eventually leading to improved adult returns that allow us to responsibly harvest a few. Now THAT's a pipe dream!

#1007838 - 04/24/19 02:21 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: FleaFlickr02]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

+1. Real $hit flea flickr.

#1007855 - 04/24/19 05:24 PM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: FleaFlickr02]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Allowing recs to harvest kings in-river would be an admission that the ocean quotas they set had been too restrictive. There would be instant outcry from the commercial and ocean rec fleets.

Whether we like it or not (some should and some shouldn’t, all based on where you live and how you fish), we are moving to a system that will be more based on single-stock terminal fisheries rather than open water mixed-stock fisheries. For salt guys, it sucks. For guys that live near low-return rivers, it won’t change much because their rivers are probably already shut down. For people that happen to live near rivers with a “fishable” run though, they might see some improved opportunities. We’ll see though. Tough when the overall trend is down and 7 billion humans don’t want to change the way we do things.

#1007871 - 04/25/19 05:14 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Allowing recs to harvest kings in-river would be an admission that the ocean quotas they set had been too restrictive. There would be instant outcry from the commercial and ocean rec fleets.

Whether we like it or not (some should and some shouldn’t, all based on where you live and how you fish), we are moving to a system that will be more based on single-stock terminal fisheries rather than open water mixed-stock fisheries. For salt guys, it sucks. For guys that live near low-return rivers, it won’t change much because their rivers are probably already shut down. For people that happen to live near rivers with a “fishable” run though, they might see some improved opportunities. We’ll see though. Tough when the overall trend is down and 7 billion humans don’t want to change the way we do things.

Aaron pretty much wrote what i was thinking..

#1007872 - 04/25/19 06:36 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

My point was that increasing terminal opportunity and escapements was not an objective sought with this change. If either of those things does happen, you can bet (at least I will) that "adjustments" will be made to shore that up.

#1007874 - 04/25/19 07:13 AM Re: Skagit River to OPEN for Spring Chinook [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Allowing/requiring in-river harvests is an admission that fishing in the ocean reduces the probability of meeting escapement goals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, stonefish), 1040 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |