Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1009240 - 05/23/19 09:16 PM Patagonia's stance
riverdick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: around the next bend
It's just a trailer but pretty clear were they are coming from.I

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I-MMlQ5AIzQ

I won't be purchasing any of their equipment.Or supporting them!

Don't they know that their customers pursue hatchery generated fish and without hatcheries there wouldnt be much to fish for?

#1009264 - 05/24/19 09:03 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Bunch of fern feelers marketing products that people wear when they want an I'm an outdoor person costume.

#1009304 - 05/24/19 02:54 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Great video! Thanks for posting.
All you have to do is look at the current regulations to understand that our ability to fish is tied to wild fish survival. If they continue to decline we won’t be fishing so there will be no need to plant fish.

#1009310 - 05/24/19 03:25 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
Great video! Thanks for posting.
All you have to do is look at the current regulations to understand that our ability to fish is tied to wild fish survival. If they continue to decline we won’t be fishing so there will be no need to plant fish.

And the Orcas will die because habitat has been so severely degraded to preclude the recovery of so called wild salmon, and particularly Chinook, to anywhere near their original numbers.

The scariest part of that was in the comments which included a recommendation to have it presented in schools.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1009311 - 05/24/19 03:53 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It's real easy to support species recovery/restoration until it makes ME actually do something.

Recovery of our anadromous salmonids will take massive expenditures in habitat restoration and will need to include dam removals, levee removals, de-hardening of shorelines, restoration of estuaries, restoration of floodplains. Then, we'll have to restore the marine ecosystem to support them. That includes Larry's favorite of pinniped control but will also include significant reductions in harvests of things that ultimately feed salmon.

And so much more. The salmon, SRKWs, Gray Whales, Humpback Whales, Sea Otters, all the seals, are in direct competition with us for food and space. For that reason, we won't save them.

It is quite true that the use of hatcheries has destroyed many runs of wild fish. Worse, it has allowed us to "mitigate" for other uses of the ecosystem. System can't produce enough wild fish? Plant more. Build a dam, destroy a river? Build a hatchery to mitigate. Without those hatcheries we will have to stop killing as many fish. With them, we can kill lots for a little while longer before the bill is due.

#1009351 - 05/25/19 09:29 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Do folks truly believe in their heart of hearts that the puget sound can or will support healthy runs of wild anadromous fish again? Especially steelhead? With human polulation and development not slowing down for anyone, its hard to imagine. The skagit is not a good indication of the more southern rivers either. I would personally love to believe that they could and did for years but man o man, reality just has a way of slapping us square in the face. Boy, i could use some encouragement but its hard to imagine after seeing exploitation of every resource these poor fish rely on. Alot of so called green companies out their joining the "in style" marketing campaign but what results are we are utlimately used to seeing.

Signed.. an exhausted hopeless anadromous romantic....

#1009353 - 05/25/19 09:50 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
Bobber Downey Jr. Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, wa
Patagonia has always made fantastic stuff, but their brand stigma is getting to a point where it’s hard for me to fly the colors. What I sometimes do is take the signature stitched-on logo off to make some of the jackets generic, it’s been interesting. A new jacket that got compliments all the time gets changed to something that nobody mentions, because it’s had the brand stigma removed and been unconsciously devalued.
It’s VERY trendy right now to posture like you give a [Bleeeeep!] about the environment while doing nothing. Buy [Bleeeeep!] you don’t need, but be sure to recycle the box it came in. Only a monster wouldn’t recycle that box.

#1009354 - 05/25/19 09:57 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
Bobber Downey Jr. Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, wa
Patagonia doesn’t care about the environment. It cares about the people who pretend to care about the environment.

#1009356 - 05/25/19 10:14 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

I have mixed feelings about Patagonia, or mainly its leader Yvon. I'm in the camp where it's possible to be pro wild fish without being totally anti-hatchery. I have to be because I want there to be more fish than the extant environment can produce naturally. I recognize and accept that even if we could restore rivers and the oceans to historic productivity, (which we can't) we wouldn't do it because it would interfere with too many other things that are beneficial to society.

I'm miffed that Yvon funds or subsidizes his son-in-laws environmental consulting company because they very actively oppose a trap-and-haul fish passage alternative on CA's Yuba River. They want the dams removed. Well, that's nice, but it's CA, and CA has 38 million people who need a whole lot of water. The human population continues to grow, as does the need for water. The Central Valley's rim dams with large storage reservoirs are not ever coming down. Water will be transferred from ag to M&I, but the reservoirs are there to stay.

So Yvon and his allies are actively choosing to forego recovery of threatened and endangered Chinook and steelhead, because, in their words, "wild salmon don't ride in trucks." Well CA ain't Bristol Bay, AK, and frankly, wild salmon actually don't care how they get to their spawning grounds, except that they only know how to swim. If we aren't allowed to help fish around dams, whether it's trucks, fish ladders, or other artificial means, to get them to the places where suitable habitat still exists, then recovery is off the table. And that bugs me.

And yes, I occasionally buy Patagonia products that fill my needs and I find them on sale.

#1009357 - 05/25/19 10:20 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Too many people, it seems to me, see the world in very black and white. All wild or all hatchery. There is a middle ground. Like Salmo says, if we go to all wild fish there will be little consumptive fishing, and less as human population grows.

#1009361 - 05/25/19 10:32 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: Carcassman]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Too many people, it seems to me, see the world in very black and white. All wild or all hatchery. There is a middle ground. Like Salmo says, if we go to all wild fish there will be little consumptive fishing, and less as human population grows.

EXACTLY!!!!

#1009362 - 05/25/19 10:37 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: Carcassman]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Yep..

#1009382 - 05/25/19 04:47 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
As usual, Steve is the voice of reason!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1009383 - 05/25/19 05:17 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: Salmo g.]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I have mixed feelings about Patagonia, or mainly its leader Yvon. I'm in the camp where it's possible to be pro wild fish without being totally anti-hatchery. I have to be because I want there to be more fish than the extant environment can produce naturally. I recognize and accept that even if we could restore rivers and the oceans to historic productivity, (which we can't) we wouldn't do it because it would interfere with too many other things that are beneficial to society.

I'm miffed that Yvon funds or subsidizes his son-in-laws environmental consulting company because they very actively oppose a trap-and-haul fish passage alternative on CA's Yuba River. They want the dams removed. Well, that's nice, but it's CA, and CA has 38 million people who need a whole lot of water. The human population continues to grow, as does the need for water. The Central Valley's rim dams with large storage reservoirs are not ever coming down. Water will be transferred from ag to M&I, but the reservoirs are there to stay.

So Yvon and his allies are actively choosing to forego recovery of threatened and endangered Chinook and steelhead, because, in their words, "wild salmon don't ride in trucks." Well CA ain't Bristol Bay, AK, and frankly, wild salmon actually don't care how they get to their spawning grounds, except that they only know how to swim. If we aren't allowed to help fish around dams, whether it's trucks, fish ladders, or other artificial means, to get them to the places where suitable habitat still exists, then recovery is off the table. And that bugs me.

And yes, I occasionally buy Patagonia products that fill my needs and I find them on sale.

Miffed?? That seems a bit too gentle.

Edited by Larry B (05/25/19 05:18 PM)

#1009392 - 05/25/19 11:46 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: SpoonFed]
avidangler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Spoonfedhead
Yep..

#1009398 - 05/26/19 11:36 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: Larry B]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Miffed?? That seems a bit too gentle.

I try to be a gentleman. It ain't always easy, but I try.

#1009469 - 05/28/19 10:45 AM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Patagonia supporter here... because the greater good they do FAR outweighs the bad.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1009477 - 05/28/19 03:20 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: eyeFISH]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Patagonia supporter here... because the greater good they do FAR outweighs the bad.

Please elaborate. Bob R

#1009483 - 05/28/19 05:31 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: bobrr
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

Please elaborate. Bob R

Takes me back to the old adage that one "oh crap" undoes 100 attaboys.

#1009568 - 05/30/19 10:01 PM Re: Patagonia's stance [Re: riverdick]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
They breach Shasta Dam yet? Oh please............... I wish I could turn back the clock today too on the Sacramento and San Joaquin too but it's not gonna' happen anytime soon> Sorry! Patagonia and their "causes?" Please............ Deal with what ya' got today folks! Glad this Old Guy got to enjoy a bit of "The Good Old Days" Done!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |