Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1009644 - 06/01/19 03:24 PM Table scraps
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
I'm *almost* speechless after reading this generous offer by the scholars running our WDFW...

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2340

But I'm certain it's going to make a HUGE difference in the Cowlitz for all the fish that aren't in the river.

AND even better, I got to pay an extra $87.50 to fish barbless on that river over the last 10 years. WTF?

Edited by large edward (06/01/19 04:05 PM)

#1009668 - 06/02/19 09:30 AM Re: Table scraps [Re: large edward]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. And there are a lot of moving parts that I may have missed, so I sent this letter to the Commission in hopes that a good explanation that ties all this together will be forthcoming.

Here is my letter.

I read with interest the latest WDFW News Release which announces the lifting of the barbless hook restrictions on the Columbia and many of it’s tributaries.

Just recently, they were announcing how much the wild stocks were depressed, while touting how the re-introduction of Gill Nets was a good conservation measure on the Columbia.

Now, WDFW has lifted the selective fisheries barbless hook regulation, allowing the use of barbed hooks, after years of preaching that barbed hooks contribute significantly to the death of wild salmon stocks.

Pardon me for scratching my head in confusion.

Please explain to your constituent exactly how these “decisions” are being made. Since it seem’s you feel we are not intelligent enough to follow the reasoning, so you just leave us out of the discussions.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Confused,

P

#1009682 - 06/02/19 10:30 AM Re: Table scraps [Re: large edward]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Institutional memory should remind us that the reason WDFW adopted the barbless hook rule on the Columbia and tributaries was to "throw a bone" to the gillnetters because of the increased restrictions they were facing as part of the CR gillnetting reform. Now that some gillnet seasons are being restored, anglers get their barbed hooks back. This never had a gnat's ass to do with conservation.

On the other hand, I mostly fish with barbless hooks, for my own safety as much as the fish's.

#1009702 - 06/02/19 04:03 PM Re: Table scraps [Re: large edward]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I will also never go back to barbed hooks, barbless is safer for me, for the fish, and I can count on one hand (with plenty of fingers left over) the fish I have lost because of barbless.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1009703 - 06/02/19 04:31 PM Re: Table scraps [Re: large edward]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I may even go so far as to use circle hooks when flyfishing for salmon, at least chum. Only snagged one, and a little slack let it go. Mandating circles in all FW salmon fishing would go a long ways to eliminating snagging. Or, at least make it easier to cite folks.

#1009740 - 06/03/19 09:32 AM Re: Table scraps [Re: large edward]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I think your thread title is spot on. The weird thing is how many people seem to think it's some great concession that we can use barbs.

I've fished the Kalama several times this spring (without a single bite). The day after the barbless restriction was lifted, it was all the anglers on the river were talking about, like it was a great deal for us. My take was that I would have been much happier losing fish because of barbless hooks than I was fishing barbed hooks that nothing was around to bite.

What anglers need is more fish to bite our hooks, whether they're barbed or not.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |