THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1009752 - 06/03/19 01:03 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: Bay wolf]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I have looked to find it but no luck. I do have a VHS tape and a disc(?)
of it.

I think it was 83/84?

fp

Edited by fp (06/03/19 01:14 PM)

#1009753 - 06/03/19 01:15 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Any fishing show with Larry Dahlberg in it (In Fisherman et al.). LD is perhaps the greatest all-round fisherman in history. His resume is second to none. That may be debatable, but I can't think of anyone that's any better.

#1009756 - 06/03/19 01:26 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: NickD90]
avidangler
Unregistered

Some of these dudes were fishing with a piece of bone on a length of twine and a stick back in the 1700's rofl

#1009767 - 06/03/19 03:33 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: ]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Don't know about the piece of bone but did begin my angling career terrorizing cutthroat in small creeks with a willow switch, 4 foot piece of string, a # 8 hook and can of worms dug in the garden. And yes the can holding those worms was one of those flat tobacco cans (thanks to an uncle that rolled his own) that fit in our shirt pockets.

Great times and remember those hooks being pretty precious and if snagged considerable effort was spend to retrieve that hook.

Curt

#1009768 - 06/03/19 03:48 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I also remember listening to Bill Davis on the original Outdoor Line radio show.
Les Johnson had a show called Fly Fishing Northwest I believe.

Wally Pease out of Yakima also had a show, though I can't remember the name.
SF

#1009769 - 06/03/19 03:49 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: ]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Dahlberg is awesome... i enjoyed Hawg Quest when it was on... Larry Csonka's North to Alaska, while wasnt totally fishing, but alot of it was, was another favorite of mine....

there was one, that they guys chased Tarpon in the early 2000's that i really enjoyed, they did other fish as well, but the 250 pound Tarpon shows were awesome... just cant remember the name of it... i believe it was on ESPN...

the new show with Mike Carey, sucks....

#1009770 - 06/03/19 03:55 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: Smalma]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Smalma
Don't know about the piece of bone but did begin my angling career terrorizing cutthroat in small creeks with a willow switch, 4 foot piece of string, a # 8 hook and can of worms dug in the garden. And yes the can holding those worms was one of those flat tobacco cans (thanks to an uncle that rolled his own) that fit in our shirt pockets.

Great times and remember those hooks being pretty precious and if snagged considerable effort was spend to retrieve that hook.

Curt

Oh to be kids again....fishing the little creeks running through Edmonds. No bulls in the pastures ala Patrick McManus' stories but a couple of milk cows! Then there was crawling around under the ferry dock (now certainly some sort of Federal offense) for a variety of bottomfish which went home in the basket of the bike. The really good end of those adventures: (1) never arrested, (2) never fell off the dock and (3) despite all of the creosote no skin cancer. Oh, and a lot of that dock fishing was with a cuttyhunk hand line.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1009780 - 06/03/19 07:51 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Hawg Quest ? I hated that show.

- Albert Einstein.

#1009781 - 06/03/19 07:55 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: Sol Duc]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
+1

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1009782 - 06/03/19 07:56 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: ]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Championship Fishing with Virgil Ward. . .best theme song. . .ever. I watched those episodes when I was a kid and soaked it up like it was gospel,

fb

#1009783 - 06/03/19 07:57 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: NickD90]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Any fishing show with Larry Dahlberg in it (In Fisherman et al.). LD is perhaps the greatest all-round fisherman in history. His resume is second to none. That may be debatable, but I can't think of anyone that's any better.

The short snippets of Dahlberg (Hunt for BIG FISH!) were all excellent. Always got that "Who wouldn't want to be there?" feeling every time I watched.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1009784 - 06/03/19 08:11 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: cobble cruiser]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Jerry Mckinnis and his weiner dog Norman steals the show for me. Ahh.. the good old days.

Used to watch that when I was on the East Coast.

Second-longest running show on ESPN.... EVER!

Every episode ended with this...
"Dedicated to Dad.... he ALWAYS had time to take me fishin'."

Words to live by.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1009785 - 06/03/19 08:20 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Fishing the West holds a special place in my heart. It was the first truly salmon/steelhead-centric program I ever tuned into. There was always a destination-specific instructional snippet included with each episode. The producers took a few moments to showcase a nice smattering of nature/wildlife scenes, and the soundtrack was predictably soothing rather than horribly irritating like so many of the newer shows.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1009787 - 06/03/19 08:49 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: eyeFISH]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
+1

+2, particularly the show's host.

#1009790 - 06/03/19 10:12 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: large edward]
avidangler
Unregistered

I have an old book by Les Johnson,that guy was cool. I may have to start another thread!! Dahlberg is pretty cool,he sent my friend some lures a couple years ago because he emailed the guy. That shows class. The other fishing show I always dug was Hank Parker,he is a good ole boy lol.

#1009798 - 06/04/19 05:49 AM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: cobble cruiser]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Jerry Mckinnis and his weiner dog Norman steals the show for me. Ahh.. the good old days.

I forgot to mention The Fishin' Hole and Jerry's way of teaching fishing and sticking to basics.
He inspired me to fish in direct drive and to convert reels to direct drive.

#1009809 - 06/04/19 07:30 AM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: Direct-Drive]
avidangler
Unregistered

Lol his back reeling annoyed me to virtually no end! I did like his little weiner dog Norman. I much prefer the sound of a drag on a spinning reel though.

#1009818 - 06/04/19 08:59 AM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: ]
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
Being from the Mid West, as I recall Harold Ensley, "Going fishin instead of just a wishing". Me and my cousin J.D. Love couldn't wait for Sunday evening for that show to come on.

#1009856 - 06/04/19 06:18 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: fp]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: fp
I have looked to find it but no luck. I do have a VHS tape and a disc(?)of it.

I think it was 83/84?

fp

Someone needs to post a link to this episode, can't find on the interwebs

c/22

#1009858 - 06/04/19 06:27 PM Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up [Re: chrome/22]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Does anybody know if I can run it on a CD and copy it to my pc?

If so, mebbe I could show it. It was old school for sure.

fp

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |