Rate This Topic
#1010568 - 06/17/19 01:24 PM Minter Creek Hatchery Failure
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park

#1010570 - 06/17/19 01:27 PM Re: Minter Creek Hatchery Failure [Re: stonefish]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

Who woulda thought to check the battery cables more frequently than every few months (especially with a forecast for a wind storm)?

#1010571 - 06/17/19 01:31 PM Re: Minter Creek Hatchery Failure [Re: stonefish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
I am most disappointed in the fact that Staff did not perform an unscheduled test of the generator in the face of an incoming strong storm.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1010572 - 06/17/19 02:43 PM Re: Minter Creek Hatchery Failure [Re: Larry B]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Having operated diesel engines all my life as part of my work I can see that being missed but sloppy. Most back up gen sets utilize a check list that you do point by point, inspect, and mark completed. For you old military dogs, they did not know about the run away prevent baffle? Christ that says they knew absolutely zero about the system they were operating. Those who have not operated diesels it is a cut off that shuts off the air if the engine runs away. I was trained to even slam a large book or something over the intake to cut the air off and evidently this one activated off the cut off button. Frankly the inspection was not the bottom line but the lack of clear training as to operation and maintinance. Lord!

Edited by Rivrguy (06/17/19 02:45 PM)

#1010577 - 06/17/19 04:25 PM Re: Minter Creek Hatchery Failure [Re: stonefish]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

"The department initially reported losing about 6.2 million Chinook salmon fry. However, a more robust inventory in the following months showed the loss to be roughly 4.1 million fish."

Wow, how do you miss count, 2.1 chinook fry????? Sounds like this hatchery staff has more than just a "lack of maintance" of a generator problem.

Edited by DrifterWA (06/17/19 04:26 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1010580 - 06/17/19 04:57 PM Re: Minter Creek Hatchery Failure [Re: Rivrguy]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Having operated diesel engines all my life as part of my work I can see that being missed but sloppy. Most back up gen sets utilize a check list that you do point by point, inspect, and mark completed. For you old military dogs, they did not know about the run away prevent baffle? Christ that says they knew absolutely zero about the system they were operating. Those who have not operated diesels it is a cut off that shuts off the air if the engine runs away. I was trained to even slam a large book or something over the intake to cut the air off and evidently this one activated off the cut off button. Frankly the inspection was not the bottom line but the lack of clear training as to operation and maintinance. Lord!

My thoughts too Rivrguy! This old Seabee Construction Electrician ran a few generators back in the day! Parlayed my experience to IBEW work and did work on high rise, hospital and computer room backup systems before retiring 18 years ago. Protocol calls for monthly checks and I only knew of one fail to start in those many years... Routine maintenance and proper TRAINING are imperative... Drop the ball? You bet! I read the whole PDF posted in NW Sportsman's magazine and saw the 3 unnamed individuals were disciplined but I would be curious to see what came down in the way of punishment! Oh please.............. Already took my BP meds for the day but I can feel another pill coming on...

#1010594 - 06/18/19 07:47 AM Re: Minter Creek Hatchery Failure [Re: DrifterWA]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

"The department initially reported losing about 6.2 million Chinook salmon fry. However, a more robust inventory in the following months showed the loss to be roughly 4.1 million fish."

Wow, how do you miss count, 2.1 chinook fry????? Sounds like this hatchery staff has more than just a "lack of maintance" of a generator problem.

Not the first time numbers have been overinflated. Makes one wonder how accurate any of the numbers are. Prime example is PS Steelhead. Plant big numbers and none return. Hmm? Could it be a smoke screen to keep our protests of the lack of production of fish at bay? I never have believed published pant numbers anyway. Numbers are to easy to modify to placate.

#1010600 - 06/18/19 10:18 AM Re: Minter Creek Hatchery Failure [Re: DrifterWA]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

"Wow, how do you miss count, 2.1 chinook fry????? Sounds like this hatchery staff has more than just a "lack of maintance" of a generator problem.

Yup. The fish counter at the Blue Creek trout hatchery on the Cowlitz was out of calibration for about 8 years. Really makes you wonder about the supposed smolt releases. What is not a mystery is how poor the steelhead fishing has been there the last 3 years, including this year so far. Geez Louise....

#1010601 - 06/18/19 11:00 AM Re: Minter Creek Hatchery Failure [Re: stonefish]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

WDFW is an absolute trainwreck

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |