Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101043 - 12/12/00 10:00 PM 6 foot leader
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I was fishing the Blue Creek hole the other day and was wondering what if any is the benefit of using the extremely long leaders a bunch of the guys use. A lot of guys were using leaders that were at least 6-7 feet long with tiny corkies and usually no yarn. They were catching fish and I was curious what they accomplish that my 3 foot leader does not? They must feel more confidence this way in order to endure the agony of tight quarter casting of such a long leader.

#101044 - 12/12/00 10:13 PM Re: 6 foot leader
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Its called flossing. The funny thing is I fish that way at blue creek/the point too. It seems about 50/50 hooked from the inside out. Most flossed fish will be hooked from the outside of the gillplate in. The theory is the 6-10ft leader is srung out and the line gets caught in the fishes mouth you feel em' when the line gets tight and the hook gets em' in the gillplate or near there. Many think its not good sport, but many people haven't fished sockeye in alaska either.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#101045 - 12/12/00 10:35 PM Re: 6 foot leader
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suonds like snagin to me.

#101046 - 12/12/00 11:35 PM Re: 6 foot leader
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Suonds like snaggin' huh! Well why do 99.9% of fished hooked at the HATCHERY TERMINAl FISHERY BLUE CREEK come to the bank on 5ft or greater leader. Canyon Man why dont you tell him how long our leaders were when Doug, you , and I hooked 25+ fish in 5 hours. If its snagged I put it back, end of statement. If its hooked in the mouth, mising a fin, and its bright the fish is dead.

Vision Pro Staff

#101047 - 12/13/00 12:00 AM Re: 6 foot leader
that guy Offline
Fry

Loc: lacey
long lining, flossing, sockeye fishing is snaging them in the mouth. it is a method use to catch fish buy people who are not smart enough to figure out what the fish want. snaging steelhead thats what the sport is all about.

#101048 - 12/13/00 12:20 AM Re: 6 foot leader
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Have you fished at Blue creek at all? It is a catch & kill fishery! Bob and Kent cant you guys get those sockeye to bite? I guess bob's a snagger too. My point here is there are some fisheries where that is the standard. Blue creek is one of those, and I have taken many fish there that have gobbled my offering. Like I said earlier its about 50/50 hooked legit to flossed. I'm not saying snagging is OK and maybe my previous post dont help me here. Nowhere else in the state do I sit in the cold all day with a long leader. AND I posted on this thread to tell Monty why everybody with fish was fishing a 6ft leader. So like it or not the people landing fish are fishin' 6ft leaders, I guess nobody can actually find what they want. Or maybe that how ya' fish blue creek if you want to bring a few home.

Vision Pro Staff

#101049 - 12/13/00 12:38 AM Re: 6 foot leader
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Flossing, lining, whatever you want to call it, you aren't actually catching the fish (it doesn't willingly take the "bait"). While it may be a "gray area" in some people's minds, you can be written a citation for keeping a fish caught that way if it is hooked OUTSIDE of the mouth. However, it is pretty rare to see a citation written for it, especially at a place like Blue Creek. What it really boils down to is personal ethics - and that is your own decision.

#101050 - 12/13/00 12:50 AM Re: 6 foot leader
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, Washington, U.S.
Snagging-a method in which the fish does not willingly except the offering. I don't think these fish ar biting the line on purpose. I have seen places where fish just don't chose to bite and I have accepted it and left them alone. It's to bad some have to catch fish using illeagal methods. I thought that you could be fined if your leader was longer than twenty-four inches.

#101051 - 12/13/00 12:51 AM Re: 6 foot leader
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Huntar your right its personal ethics! And at blue creek thats not a selling point. I get great joy out of working a river and reading water. Backing up those plugs, fishin' pocket's with bait. BLUE CREEK IS NOT ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!!

Vision Pro Staff

#101052 - 12/13/00 12:58 AM Re: 6 foot leader
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Before anyone else jumps down my throat about this remember I was trying to tell MONTY why people were fishin long leaders. I'm not trying to start my own steelhead club LLA long-liners-anonymous. So back-off and shut up. I don't want this to be a long thread that turns into a pissing match.

Vision Pro Staff

#101053 - 12/13/00 01:00 AM Re: 6 foot leader
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
This flossing theory has a few major flaws. You would think that the long leader gives you a better chance of flossing the fish but think again. For one, in order to do this you line must be at the same level as the fish. Secondly, what are the chances that your long leader will enter the fish's mouth. Finally, I like to ask you, have you ever hook a fish at the end of the drift? I tell you that I have and many of my catches are at the end of the drift. So how in the heck the fish is being flossed if it is right behind your leader? Think about this and I'll tell you my theory of the extra long leader. I do use extra long leader and it works any where and for any level of river dept.

#101054 - 12/13/00 01:26 AM Re: 6 foot leader
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I have posted a very honest question with no intention of stirring things up. I buy the flossing theory. But I constantly have inner-self debates over the optimum leader length. So, I was interested in any advantages of the long leader other than flossing. I also fished the inside of bend straight accross from blue creek the day before (you know where the jet boat parade begins) and saw a couple of guys catch some nice steelhead essentially bank fishing using the same long leader approach. The main reason I ask is that I see some very competent fishermen using the long leader.

As far as flossing goes this fall I went to fish a shallow salt water area for chum and all the fly fishing guys did really well (9 foot leaders stripped accross the school of fish). I essentially was using drift gear (small corkie, yarn, 18" leader, small lead). I was using all the right colors but didn't do very well. The next day I used a leader in the same length as the fly guys with just green and chartreuse yarn and I did as good as anyone. I only fished a hour or so but landed 4 fish. Two of the fish the hook was on the outside of the mouth and 2 of the fish the hook was inside the mouth. I still think I flossed all of them but it is my belief that sometimes a flossed fish will look legal. (all fish were caught and safely released)

#101055 - 12/13/00 08:06 PM Re: 6 foot leader
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

This is a very sensative issue. I used to fish with a noodle rod and I have read many books on different techniques. Up in lake michagian they use leaders as long as ten feet for salmon and steelhead. They say that these long leaders are necessary if you weren't going to spook the fish. Maybe they were flossing the fish, maybe they weren't. I talked to a hatchery worker on the Kalama and he told me how to "leagaly snag fish" It was kind of like plunking only that instead the leader was five or six feet long with a corky tied in back of the hook. If you hook a fish outside of it's mouth chances are you snagged it.

#101056 - 12/14/00 12:13 AM Re: 6 foot leader
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
BK ... Kenai / Kasilof sockeye fishing vs. ling steelies is like comparing apples and oranges.

While I don't personally fish the Kenai n(which gets about 700,00+ reds), the Kasilof receives around 250,000 sockeye annually ... and of 250,000 fish that come up the river, we get maybe one or two reds to 'bite' out of about 400+ rod days when the reds are running. Simply put ... they don't bite.

Steelhead and other salmon species (or even sockeye in some watersheds such as the 'Duc) do bite ... and in my eyes that's the big difference.

Personally, I don't have any problem lining fish that you know are not going to bite no matter what you do ... I do however, have a problem with lining fish that just may not be biting well that day (such as stacked steelies at Blue Creek). Encountering slow bites is part of fishing ... and for me, it's not just about having a couple of fish on the bank, it's about getting the fish to bite. I don't think the situations are even close to the same and can't be compared, period.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#101057 - 12/14/00 12:55 AM Re: 6 foot leader
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

I knew I'd get some rash for that. Anyways I backed myself into a corner. I do however think they share similarities. Blue creek and Kenai Redds are both meat hunter hang outs. Blue creek is not the place to be if your a purest

Vision Pro Staff

#101058 - 12/14/00 01:01 AM Re: 6 foot leader
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

And I believe this thread came across wrong. I too enjoy in pursuit of steelhead, getting them to bite and reading water. But when I DO go to blue creek I'm havin' fun gettin' drunk with boys. Worrying if my fish was flossed or not isn't an issue. I dont go down there intending to floss em' I'm goin' on feel alone. Bum..Bump....set the hook! It really is that simple

Vision Pro Staff

#101059 - 12/14/00 10:38 AM Re: 6 foot leader
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kapowsin, Wa
I think the reg say that if a fish is hooked in the gill plate or eye and is legal to keep, then you are encouraged to do so.
I have hooked quite a few silvers from the outside in on a 15" to 24" leader. I think (and this is only a theory) that sometimes the fish bites the corky only and misses the hook. When I feel the hit on the corky, I naturally set the hook, which may or may not be in the mouth and if the planets are aligned and the moon is in the seventh house and the hook is lined up right it's fish on. I have no problem keeping a fish hooked in the mouth from the outside in. I believe that's why the regs have that stipulation in the rules.

#101060 - 12/14/00 12:07 PM Re: 6 foot leader
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Here's the difference:

In AK, snagging is legal for the reds on the Kenai.

In WA, all forms of snagging are illegal. <PERIOD>

You are *NOT* allowed to keep any snagged fish in WA, regardless of where you snagged it.

It's all there in the WDFW Fishing Regulations. I think a lot of people need to sit down and actually read the regulations.

Parker

[This message has been edited by parker (edited 12-14-2000).]

#101061 - 12/14/00 02:09 PM Re: 6 foot leader
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
As I read this thread for the second time I'm laughing just as hard as the first time. I'm normally fishing in the forks area or south, but I also beat the water at blue creek at least once a year, in fifteen + years I've foul hooked only a couple fish and one was in the side clear back by the dorsal. I think that most of you that are saying that the fish here are snagged, probably don't fish there. For myself I can say MY FISH ARE HOOKED IN THE MOUTH!!. You can't tell me that I'm "flossing" these fish when I'm at the bottom of my drift shooting 4 to 5 feet of line down the slot, maybe these fish are yawning as I shoot them line and that's how I hook them in the mouth, get real !!. I know guys that fish there that are very good fisherman, and they hook their fish IN THE MOUTH, my family that fish there with me hook their fish IN THE MOUTH. For myself I'm not crazy about fishing the Cowlitz, but it's a sure bet to get a couple of hatchery slabs in the smoker for the Holidays. So be careful on who you call a snagger.

#101062 - 12/14/00 04:58 PM Re: 6 foot leader
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

BillyBob, the reason why you are allowed to keep fish hooked in the tounge gill plate or eye is because these are fatal injuries to fish. If it's hooked in the eye it can'e see predators very well. If it's hooked in the toungue or gill plate it will bleed to death. I can't begin to count how many silvers I've cought in area nine that were hooked in the tounge and would bleed to death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |