LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1010645 - 06/19/19 10:22 AM YES PLEASE!!!
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Possibilities would be unreal if migration past all the toothy warm water fishies was possible. I always imagine what it used to be like when huge inland summer-run steelhead used to migrate that high. What did they look like and how big did they get? Imagine the stocks lost when the dams went in. Camping over there and looking at the scenery across the water always makes me day dream.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/columbi...pFHmsg.facebook[/url]

#1010646 - 06/19/19 10:26 AM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Enjoy your dream.

#1010656 - 06/19/19 11:09 AM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Talked with a CR Gillnetters who, while fishing in the River for springers, had 20 steelhead that weighed over 400 pounds.

#1010666 - 06/19/19 01:41 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Isn't the record a 35# steelhead from the Clearwater?

Getting anadromous fish upstream of Chief Joe and Grand Couless is easy as pie with present day trap-and-haul technology. Getting juvenile fish downstream of dams (safe, timely, and effective) is the challenge. Floating surface collectors work really well with sockeye and coho, but the jury is still out with regard to Chinook and steelhead.

Edited by Salmo g. (06/19/19 01:47 PM)

#1010669 - 06/19/19 01:51 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i though one of the 35s came from the Snake in the 70s, then like 20 years ago one at 35 was caught on the Quinault...

the world record is still from David White at 42 right? think that was Alaska tho...

Nick English got that 37 on the Kispiox a decade or so ago as well....

#1010673 - 06/19/19 02:22 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: 5 * General Evo]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

If only I could explain the size I have witnesses swimming by under the raft from one of those rivers..... only a few would believe me.. the folks that were with me when I was gasping for a word and nothing coming out. eek2

#1010674 - 06/19/19 02:29 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
If only I could explain the size I have witnesses swimming by under the raft from one of those rivers..... only a few would believe me.. the folks that were with me when I was gasping for a word and nothing coming out. eek2

Orygun 30?

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#1010676 - 06/19/19 03:17 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: Jason Beezuz]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Easy thar fellars.... not from Orygon.. wink

Edited by cobble cruiser (06/19/19 03:17 PM)

#1010705 - 06/19/19 09:38 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
River Nutrients

Bob Hooten has a picture of a brace of 40+ fish taken in a Skeena Gillnet in his book on Skeena steelhead.

#1010758 - 06/20/19 08:49 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Let's put all our eggs in one basket and focus on getting rid of the low hanging fruit. Snake River dams that provide the smallest benefit of power, flood control and shipping. It would be cool to see salmon above Grand Coolie but it sounds like a lot of $ and effort for a hundred miles of spawning habitat for salmon, most of that watershed is submerged by stillwater that warmwater-smolt-eating predators thrive in.

#1010767 - 06/21/19 07:16 AM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
River Nutrients

If you really want to restore the Big C, start at the bottom. Essentially, the lowermost dam goes first and you work your way upstream. Clean out the tributaries and keep working upstream. That way, the slackwater issues don't effect the restoration, except for temperature and some flow issues. Taking out the Snake dams just sends more food to the lower Columbia Smallmouth and Walleyes. Some more will get through, but it won't be the Silver Bullet.

I would prefer to get rid of all the below-Bonneville dams (on anadromous waters) and the take out Bonne and move up one pool at a time. Probably be the fastest way to get the sturgeon back, too.

#1010812 - 06/21/19 12:53 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK

I remember that "alligator sighting" very well. It takes a pretty unique set of circumstances to render Danny speechless. Not an easy thing to do smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#1010849 - 06/21/19 06:29 PM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: ColeyG]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

I remember that "alligator sighting" very well. It takes a pretty unique set of circumstances to render Danny speechless. Not an easy thing to do smile

Still haunts my thoughts Coley. That hen that cartwheeled in front of you and Aaron gets me to. We even got it to hand. Just no proof.... prolly funner that way anyway. wink

#1011030 - 06/26/19 11:41 AM Re: YES PLEASE!!! [Re: Carcassman]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
If you really want to restore the Big C, start at the bottom. Essentially, the lowermost dam goes first and you work your way upstream. Clean out the tributaries and keep working upstream. That way, the slackwater issues don't effect the restoration, except for temperature and some flow issues. Taking out the Snake dams just sends more food to the lower Columbia Smallmouth and Walleyes. Some more will get through, but it won't be the Silver Bullet.

I would prefer to get rid of all the below-Bonneville dams (on anadromous waters) and the take out Bonne and move up one pool at a time. Probably be the fastest way to get the sturgeon back, too.

You're talking big money. Like, bigger than Hanford big. All the contaminants from smelting and Hanford are entombed behind those dams. It was described to me as "the removal of one dam below Hanford would amount to the single greatest environmental remediation project on the earth to date."

Dams don't last forever, so it will have to be dealt with some day.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1044 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |