Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101063 - 12/15/00 12:38 AM Re: 6 foot leader
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
You guys are missing the point about snagging, flossing, and extra long leader. Snagging is when you hook a fish any where else except the head area. And is is done by setting the hook at random and intentionally. However some fish are initially hooked on the mouth but then gets snagged as the hook is released and catches the body. An the theory of flossing is totally false. Think about it, its just simple physics. The only flossing being done should be at the point b/w the main line and the lead, because this junction is the only thing that can flow diagonal with the current. Your leader no matter does not have a cross flow with the current. Your leader and lead is flowing with the current no matter where you are drifting. The long leader works best because your hook is at the same level as the fish. This is because of the water condition (ie. depth and flow rate).

#101064 - 12/15/00 02:00 AM Re: 6 foot leader
Oncorhynchus Potsmokerus Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Langley,British Columbia
In British Columbia there is a floss fishery on Fraser River Sockeye. Guys fish 7-10 foot leaders and hook fish in the mouth mostly. Most guys like to think that the fish are takin the offering but the problem with that theory is that the Fraser runs dirty with visibility at 3-6 inchers. The fish don't even see your wool/corkie. The long leader sweeps the gravel, and cover more water than a short leader, resulting in more hookups. Any guy fishing a corky alone should know that during his drift the chance of the corky sliding up the hook is great...the corky is rarely on the hook. To floss steelhead is a joke...steelhead are an aggressive fish, where as sockeye are with a few exceptions non biters. I've read about this Blue creek in STS and it sounds like a pathetic excuse for a fishery.

Long live the foam float.

#101065 - 12/15/00 06:20 PM Re: 6 foot leader
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Blue creek may sound pathetic but they plant around 3/4 million smolts!!!! The most in washington by 3 times. At one point the SPORT CATCH was 30,000.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#101066 - 12/15/00 06:57 PM Re: 6 foot leader
Fishwhacker Offline
Parr

Loc: Auburn WA
I'm going to throw my hat in on this one. I have fished the infamous Blue creek in the past(Not since the slide)and I don't buy into the flossing/lining/snagger theory in this kind of water. myself, I use what you would call traditional leader length, always, But I have witnessed the 6"+ leader practice and from what I've seen they are usually very plainly hooked in the chops. I don't know why it works there; maybe the fish are suspended or? don't have the answer why, just know that it does work there and they usually are not snagged. And not to promote the practice of lining fish does the reg book not state hooked above the gill plate is legal? I think it's a fine line between what legal and ethical fishing practices are. Legal practices are simple they are in the reg. book, ethical practices are up to the individual, and at one point or another we have all moved that line just a little.

20 pounder hatchery fish hooked from the outide of the maxila inward, you trowing it back? Yea right!

#101067 - 12/16/00 01:19 AM Re: 6 foot leader
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
I have found the long leader t owork well on the Cowlitz and other rivers. A simple test in low clear water will show you that it can play a very important part in hooking fish that are a little spooky. such as a steelie in a small creek. I have seen salmon and steelhead swim around my gear many times when it came to them. but when a LONG leader was used they would stick around untill it hit them and then they would spook. I did this from a bridge on a small river last fall with some steelies that would not bite. they never did but my point is long leaders are not always snaging gear. they have a purpose. I have a book on noddle roding and it tells how important LONG leaders are.
I did very well at Barrier this year with a long leader and a single tiny corkie. sometimes in the egg loop on a small hook and other times above the hook with a few fine threads of yarn above it just to keap it from floating up the line. the egg loop worked best. but I was useing small hooks to try and keap from snaging.

if long leaders work for you then more power. I normally start with about 18" and work my way out to maybe 6'

dcrzfitter

#101068 - 12/16/00 01:38 AM Re: 6 foot leader
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
dcrzfitter,
Your response was more of what I was looking for in my question. Thanks for the tip. The way I see it is if the water is fairly fast and clear so I need a small corky I want to use a longer leader in order to get the hook out of the rocks. When I know I'm going to use bait in clear situations I like to go longer than if I'm going straight corky and yarn to give my bait a little more lift. I'd say most my leaders range from 24" to 48". The only time I go to six feet is if I'm drifting flies for summer runs. In dirty water I go with bigger corkies so I shorten my leader to get the hook down. I guess I look at what size of offering the water requires, then look at the speed of the water, then adjust my leader length in order to get the hook in the strike zone. I know there are a myriad of variables but is this a logical approach?
I almost forgot, I got a #15 buck at blue creek yesterday. He spanked a glob of eggs and small corky with a 4' leader. I fished around some really nice people, and thanks to the stranger willing to go out of his way to net my fish!

[This message has been edited by Monty (edited 12-15-2000).]

#101069 - 12/16/00 08:43 PM Re: 6 foot leader
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
you got it. it's all about adjusting to the conditions. a good rule that I have been told and need to try to follow more myself is this- 15 cast with no action and it's time to move on to the next thing. with spinners maybe try another color or whieght or size. with corkies and yarn change colors size or leader length. the same with bait go smaller or larger or what ever change you might wanna try but the key is to allways be changing something if you arn't getting action. for me leader length and size of what ever I have on the end of the line is the first thing I change.

#101070 - 12/19/00 03:00 AM Re: 6 foot leader
longstone Offline
Alevin

Loc: Chilliwack, B.C.
Actually the Fraser River sockeye fishery is not a floss fishery. I fished everyday of the opening with a 2-3 foot leader and did extremely well. I know I wasn't flossing fish. Unfortunately guys like Pothead haven't really thought out this flossing thing too well. Fish all around the world are caught in coloured water conditions and nobody says they're flossed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 392 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |