Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1012299 - 07/27/19 03:15 PM Green River Steel
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Hello all, here I sit in the Philippines until September when I come back to Washington for 4 months. I am dreaming of river fishing (there is none here) and am wondering if there is any action on the Green for steel? I believe its still a bit early for Kings, although I am interested in that as well. If you feel more comfortable with a PM, I understand. Thanks in advance!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1012300 - 07/27/19 07:23 PM Re: Green River Steel [Re: eddie]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
Slooooooooow.... smile

#1012328 - 07/28/19 07:39 PM Re: Green River Steel [Re: Denham]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oly
I miss the 80's......................

Used to average 40 fish per month on flies below 18. Got my first fish on flies between the RR bridge and the 18 bridge. June and July were awesome then I would run up to Icy creek then up to Palmer.

Memories.................

Edited by kalamageo (07/31/19 09:59 AM)

#1012331 - 07/28/19 09:27 PM Re: Green River Steel [Re: eddie]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Harry Lemire, RIP, lived in Black Diamond then and the Green Summer Steel on the fly was one of his best kept secrets. I crept up on him once in the gorge and had a great discussion about fly casting at them. I went to the fly after that and got my first ever swinging a muddler minnow below Icy Crk. Their were lots more fish around then. Miss those days also.

#1012407 - 07/31/19 09:55 AM Re: Green River Steel [Re: RUNnGUN]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Harry Lemire, RIP, lived in Black Diamond then and the Green Summer Steel on the fly was one of his best kept secrets. I crept up on him once in the gorge and had a great discussion about fly casting at them. I went to the fly after that and got my first ever swinging a muddler minnow below Icy Crk. Their were lots more fish around then. Miss those days also.

I met him up by Palmer one sunny afternoon. ( '81-'82 ? ) I even gave him one of my red streamers that I was using on the lower river very successfully. I felt like an idiot later. Felt like I was giving a legend advice. He forgeot more than I'll ever know. Awkard......
He was a very nice guy as I remember. Meeting legends always leaves a lasting impression on you. I can remember that day on the trail, like it was yesterday!!

I met Steve Rajeff at the opening of the Morning Hatch Fly Shop in Lakewood and my fly fishing was never the same. We went out in the parking lot and he taught me how to double haul. I went from throwing 50- 60 feet ( poorly ) to throwing the whole 100 feet of my fly line with regularity and tight loops. He was such a nice guy to take the time to help a young guy improve his game.

Meeting legends is the thing I like most about my job. Every couple of months I get to meet someone that I always wanted to meet. It isn't in the fishing world but it's still really cool to meet someone with whom you had great respect and interest

Edited by kalamageo (08/04/19 06:41 PM)

#1012408 - 07/31/19 10:53 AM Re: Green River Steel [Re: kalamageo]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Originally Posted By: kalamageo
Meeting legends is the thing I like most about my job. Every couple of months I get to meet someone that I always wanted to meet. It isn't in the fishing world but still really cool to meet someone whom you had great respect and interest.

OK, you're clearly not in politics! smile

#1012411 - 07/31/19 05:12 PM Re: Green River Steel [Re: large edward]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: large edward
Originally Posted By: kalamageo
Meeting legends is the thing I like most about my job. Every couple of months I get to meet someone that I always wanted to meet. It isn't in the fishing world but still really cool to meet someone whom you had great respect and interest.

OK, you're clearly not in politics! smile

No......LOL

I'm a corporate pilot for a company called Netjets.
We fly the rich and famous.

I could tell you who but then I GET to kill you........ evil

#1012414 - 07/31/19 06:10 PM Re: Green River Steel [Re: eddie]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
This thread reminds me of the glory days of PP.

Cool discussion, folks!

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1012424 - 08/01/19 09:56 AM Re: Green River Steel [Re: eddie]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

That Green river is for city slickers.

WDFW made the good one a gene bank.

FAA KING MORONS!!!!!!!

#1012428 - 08/01/19 10:38 AM Re: Green River Steel [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Lol.. Dead.

#1012525 - 08/04/19 06:39 PM Re: Green River Steel [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
That Green river is for city slickers.

WDFW made the good one a gene bank.

FAA KING MORONS!!!!!!!

I COMPLETELY disagree.

I fished BOTH Greens. I caught tons of fish in both. My fondest memories are from the northern Green. I'd start the morning under the 18 bridge. Then I'd hit the corner slot below. Then I'd slide down into the car body. More mornings than I can count, I'd hit the tailout of the car body and finish my limit on that red streamer.

A quartering cast with a slow sink line would present the fly for any fish that were just arriving in the hole. I would watch as a V wake started to follow my fly. This was followed by what I called "shaking hands with the fish". The following fish would pop my fly into his mouth like a pop tart and turn. This was followed by a panicked run and jump. This happened so often that the guys up in the meat of the hole started to say mean things about me>>>>>>. LOL

I caught many fine fish on the southern Green, but by then the luster was lost. It didn't feel nearly as new or wild. The canyon on the northern green is as rugged and wild as any. Icy creek is a tough spot to fish but always provided a few fish.

I even had a close encounter with my first bear. The trail does a double back near the bottom. As I approached the bottom, I saw a "dog" knocking over trees in his effort to run away from me. I realized it was a huge black bear and it scared the CRAP out of me. I still fished that morning and caught a chrome hen. From then on though, I was armed...........

The northern Green's proximity to the "big city" is unfortunate but it WAS one of the great ones for this young angler...........

#1012526 - 08/04/19 11:13 PM Re: Green River Steel [Re: kalamageo]
avidangler
Unregistered

Sounds pretty awesome if you ask me. Great story.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |