THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101253 - 12/15/00 07:31 PM What's the best Sled?
Highliner Offline
Scary lurker

Loc: Snohomish, WA

#101254 - 12/15/00 07:45 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Highliner,

I would definitely look at (and probably buy) the Willie Predator. He makes it in a sportjet or with an outboard pump from about 16 feet to 20.

You can see a picture of the exact boat you are describing by going to www.willieboats.com .

I like the nose on these much better than on the others. Besides, if you ever go to the Kenai, you would know which boat the guides prefer. They out number any other brand by about 20:1.

Steve

#101255 - 12/15/00 08:27 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Highliner, how are ya? I bought a 19' Thunderjet June with a 175 Sportjet. Checked out a lot of boats and thought it was the best bang for the buck. Had a Wooldridge Alaskan 16' but my wife didn't feel safe in it due to the low sides.
Windshield and full canvas were a must. Love the way it rides and it handles well in tight spots. Looked at Wooldridge, Alumaweld,Duckworth can't remember the rest.
My fishing partner has a 17' Alumaweld Stryker, and would have sold it to buy the same boat I bought but didn't think the sides were high enough. When they built my boat they changed the style a little and made it 4 1/2" higher on the sides, that made it perfect. You can check them out at www.thunderjet.com

If you want more input on the Alumaweld talk to Dave Lee at Three Rivers Marine in Woodinville, he will treat you right.

Good luck
Doubletake

#101256 - 12/15/00 08:35 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
My personal favorite is the Koffler. I have had the opportunity to fish alumawelds, willies, and it all depends on the water you plan to fish. If you plan to boondog or backtroll I would reccomend the 18'x 6' wide Koffler with the delta bottom and a 150 yamaha pump. This boat for its size will run shallower water than any I have ever ran, except a pram. I have personally taken this boat through 2-3" of water and the big thing is it drifts so straight. One reason is they sit so flat in the water and sit so shallow. The current doesn't grab the boat and whip it around. Another boat I would reccomend is the Thor built boat by Mike sexton. He used to run a koffler and he branched off and made his own boat and to which I have personally ran his 21' by 8' wide Thor, it drifts just like a koffler. Access www.kofflerboats.com and you can see them.
keith

------------------

#101257 - 12/15/00 09:46 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
It really depends upon where you are going to fish (type of water i.e. Columbia vs. Cowlitz etc...), and how you plan to fish (side drift/boondog or troll).
Ask the mfr. specifically what the boat is designed for and why they do certain things.
I mainly fish the mid-Columbia and big water, and wanted a more family oriented boat. Last summer I bought a Northwest Jet Boat ( www.northwestjetboats.com) and I love it. Very well built, and very nice. (but isn't the best design for say side-drifting the Cowlitz, but it works fine, it is excellent for Hanford Reach, mouth of the Wind, Klickitat, Lower Columbia).

Good Luck

#101258 - 12/16/00 02:41 AM Re: What's the best Sled?
Highliner Offline
Scary lurker

Really appreciate the feedback. When I bought the drift boat it took awhile to decide but ended up with a Willie 16X54. Was kinda fun buying the aluminum trailer from Koffler (really nice trailer) and putting a different boat on it. I really like Willie products but their Predator boat has a 10 degree deadrise.

Since this boat will be used exclusively for side drifting I understand that a 5 degree (Boulton) or 6 degree deadrise (North River and Alumaweld) is the best for pure fishing pleasure. I have not had the opportunity to run a 10 degree and 6 degree to compare and am wondering if it really makes that much of a difference.

Thanks again for you suggestions
Rob

#101259 - 12/16/00 11:23 AM Re: What's the best Sled?
Catch n Fillet Offline
Fry

Loc: seattle
WITH OUT QUESTION,THE ROLLS ROYCE OF SLEDS IS SANTA'S CLAUSE'S HIS IS MUCH FASTER AND COVERS BOTH RIVERS AND LAND WITH NO TRAILER NEEDED. HE REALLY SLEIGHS EM TOO!! :> )

#101260 - 12/16/00 02:18 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Highliner,

I had a Duckworth with a 9 or 10 degree bottom and it worked just fine for side drifting. Having ran Predators in AK on the Kenai, I like the way they track better when back trolling also than my Duck. I've been in Alumn's also and still like the Willie the best.

You will appreciate a little more deadrise when you need to run up the Columbia down at the mouth of the Cowlitz and theres a little chop.

All the boats listed above are definitely well put together and time tested (except the Thor, I don't know anything about them).

#101261 - 12/16/00 03:08 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
Holdzit Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: oregon city, Oregon
You might want to drive a Motion Marine boat. They install a Sport Jet engine with a tiller or console. I believe they are the only company that manufacture a inboard Sport Jet engine with a tiller. http://www.motionmarine.com

------------------
Sharp hooks,
Pat
Holdzit Fishing Products
http://www.holdzit.com
http://www.holdzit.com

#101262 - 12/16/00 04:48 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
HOOKEM Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: SNOHOMISH,WA
highliner
if you are looking for a free drifting boat you should look at a o/b with tiller. you want as much room as possibly. you have so much more control with a tiller and you are always right back at the kicker.boat control is 90% of free drifting.how the boat floats,tracks,runs are all very important. there are only a couple boats out there that i would recommend in a 18ft boat.alumaweld 18 ft super vee lt.thor-built 18 ft.
i have fished in them all and those are the best free drifting boats out there. i sell alumaweld in woodinville and would be more than happy to take you out and show you the diff. and maybe catch a few or two.having local repersentation is something else to think about!!!!!!!
good luck and good fishing
dave lee
three rivers marine

#101263 - 12/16/00 05:50 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
TJN Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tulalip, Wa
Highliner,
You just heard the Gospel from someone who really knows fishing and boats, namely David Lee.
You first have to figure out just what you're going to do with the sled before you buy. I would recommend an open tiller Thorbuilt...and not just because I own one. I believe you would be wise to take David up on his offer. Good Luck, Nelly.

#101264 - 12/16/00 05:51 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
steelheaddude Offline
Juvenille at Sea

#101265 - 12/16/00 06:49 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Washington USA
Wasn't going to post anything here....but I own a Thor and my next one will be a Thor...simply great boats. Slight design change since Mike and Dean bought the company...but there isn't a boat on the river that jumps out of the hole faster. If you want to test one let me know.

Jim

#101266 - 12/17/00 08:07 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
I am in the process of ordering a new sled as well.. I have spent six months looking and driving sleds... I am going w/ the Willie Predator Open 22'. My second chioce was the North River Delta Vee, but it was a distant second.

TH
www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#101267 - 12/18/00 02:54 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
Highliner Offline
Scary lurker

#101268 - 12/19/00 01:11 AM Re: What's the best Sled?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Simply A THORBUILT, No other boat compares!!!
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#101269 - 12/19/00 11:47 AM Re: What's the best Sled?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I stopped by 3-rivers marine a few weeks back and met Dave,great place they answered all my questions too,great boats give-em a try,love that sport jet...Os
maybe this spring I'll drop the bucks

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft
Release all Wild Fish----<'))>>{

#101270 - 12/19/00 02:50 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
Highliner

I have fish in and driven a 22' alumaweld super vee w/ the sport jet.... I like the idea of a 1 piece bottom... only Willie and North River have that, in the boats that I looked at... Alumaweld, Willies, NR, Fish Rite. The Alumaweld was about $3k higher for the same boat.
I opted for the 22' w/ a 50hp 4stroke Merc. prop and a 9.9 bigfoot merc. The guy at stevens kept telling me that the 50hp wouldn't push the 22' and that I needed a 105+ prop... even though they have been fishing the 35hp on the keni for countless years w/ 5 guys and a guide.
I also liked the River Master by Fish Rite.... but really liked Willies service.
We also opted for an open model with the guides chair and 4 moveable seats, so we have lots of room.

Let me know how I can help on those rods..

TH
www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#101271 - 12/19/00 10:31 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
wit45cal Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup WA
Boulton Owner here!!! 20 ft 12 degree w/ 350 and Kodiak. I am very happy but don't do much side drifting. Willies son works for Boulton and built my boat. They do nice work and the boat is very fast for a loaded unit. Speed and power count on the bigger rivers. I would beat up Mike Boulton on the price a little if I were you. The nice thing about all makers is that they will build exactly what you ask for. For a flat and wide drifting boat I was very impressed with the Koffler/merc I saw on the Cow. Very nice looking and well equipped. I would not get a boat without full top, sides, drop and heat. You don't have to use them but the option is nice. Boulton does have the advantage of being a three time national champion river racer and former owner in two other boat companies. He is also about two miles from willie and they seem to be quite friendly. I like the folks at willie a lot as well, good people and a good product. My boat needs some more hours on it and I would be happy to let you scream around Lake Wash. for a day if you like. I know the cutts are in there right now..... Let me know.

#101272 - 12/19/00 11:40 PM Re: What's the best Sled?
Mallard Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Toledo, OR USA
Stay away from the Merc. Sportjet, they are loud and burn almost twice the fuel of an efficient V-8. Alumaweld's are mass produced compared to the other boats listed here, and in my experience cost as much or more. My personal choice is a Weldcraft, a lot of boat for less money than the other mentioned boats. Just my two cents worth.

Keep your line wet and your butt dry...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |