Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1013331 - 09/01/19 03:41 PM Vintage Score
avidangler
Unregistered

Today a buddy of mine gave me a Lamiglas AR 96 M and an Alvey 40-C1. I have no idea what I want to do with this combo,maybe I will actually drift mooch Monterey Bay for salmon with it. I know little about the rod . It says rated 2-3 pound test and 1-3 oz weight. Cool outfit.

I also got a Fenwick FF858 fly rod which I intend to fish estuary stripers and maybe a little steelhead action. Free of charge,cool score. Anyone have experience with either rod? Reel? What cool scores have you found lately?

#1013332 - 09/01/19 05:42 PM Re: Vintage Score [Re: ]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Alvey-C-1, is a "center pin reel", made in Australia. There are a few used on local rivers.....takes awhile to learn how to fish your reel.

Use as a conversation piece, in your home....or sell it!!!!!!!

Rod ????????? "It says rated 2-3 pound test and 1-3 oz weight. Cool outfit." This can't be right, no way a "rated rod 2-3 pound test...….could handle 1 - 3 oz. weight"

Edited by DrifterWA (09/01/19 05:43 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1013335 - 09/01/19 06:51 PM Re: Vintage Score [Re: DrifterWA]
avidangler
Unregistered

I know . It's gotta be 20-30. I am gonna use it for salmon mooching,centerpinning is not really anything I've ever had an interest in.

#1013336 - 09/01/19 07:32 PM Re: Vintage Score [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I have the 6wt version of the flyrod.
They are kinda soft and slow.
The 8wt might be OK for Cali-size steelhead.
Oregon has their 20's so i wouldn't use it up there.

smile

In any event, it's nice to have a USA Fenwick.

#1013338 - 09/01/19 10:48 PM Re: Vintage Score [Re: Direct-Drive]
avidangler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
I have the 6wt version of the flyrod.
They are kinda soft and slow.
The 8wt might be OK for Cali-size steelhead.
Oregon has their 20's so i wouldn't use it up there.

smile

In any event, it's nice to have a USA Fenwick.

Which Cali steelhead,the smaller Klamath Trinity fish or the double digit Smith and Eel fish? Lol anyway I wouldn't fly fish winter runs anyway unless it's the applegate or something like that. More considering striped bass to 10 pounds in estuaries. It seems really slow. For free I'm good with that.

#1013341 - 09/02/19 07:43 AM Re: Vintage Score [Re: ]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
I found my "grail rod" at a local pawn shop a couple years ago, a lamiglas LHS S90MC-T. No so much because i don't own one(I've been fishing with one for years), but because it was brand new, in the factory plaid sock that lami used to give you with their high end rods. When i asked about the price, the gal at the counter said, "how about $75?" i gave her a a contemplative look and she said, "tax included?" ok, ok, i guess I'll buy it, ya twisted my arm smile

Last summer a guy down the road was selling a ton of old fishing gear. Nothing terribly special, except i spied what looked like an old ambassadeur 6000c that appeared in good shape. I asked how much and he told me 60 bucks. I went to check it out, and it turned out to be a brown 6500, made in 1975,never used, with the original box. 60 bucks would have been a steal for any abu of that vintage in that kind of shape, but that particular model is very sought after, I've seen them sell in excess of $1000 to the collectors in japan on ebay.

#1013342 - 09/02/19 08:10 AM Re: Vintage Score [Re: ]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Found an Orvis CFO IV at a sale for 50 cents. Needed one small screw to hold the foot on. Don't know exactly how old it is, but is English and the reel has been modified so much that the current IV's replacement spool won't fit it. Had to go deep into e-bay to find one. Works nice..

#1013343 - 09/02/19 08:24 AM Re: Vintage Score [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
While the reel that you have is smaller in diameter I believe that it is also a side casting reel.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#1013348 - 09/02/19 10:45 AM Re: Vintage Score [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Avid,

I have an old Fenwick fiberglass FF85-8. Back before we had graphite that was the PNW "all around" fly rod, for trout fishing, sea run cutthroats, and steelhead, summer and winter. Can't tell you how many steelhead I've landed on that rod, but it is a ton more than I've caught on all my expensive graphite Spey rods combined. The rod only seems slow action by today's standards. It was pretty fast action in its day.

Sg

#1013350 - 09/02/19 12:02 PM Re: Vintage Score [Re: Salmo g.]
avidangler
Unregistered

Thanks Salmo. I think fighting 6-8 pound stripers on it from my pontoon will be a real kick in the pants. May give steelhead a shot on it. I'm on the hunt for an old orvis reel or something to pair it with.

#1013352 - 09/02/19 01:47 PM Re: Vintage Score [Re: Salmo g.]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Loved the old Fenglass Fenwick fly rods! Bought my first one in mid 70's and they served me well! Favorite that I still own is a FF 9010 9' 5oz.
Reliable friend fishing stripers around rocks from a boat off SF and used to mooch with it for salmon outside the Golden Gate when salmon were close to shore! Paired with my trusty 1498 Pfluerger (with drag no less) it was a deadly combination! Wish that gear could talk! BTW bought a 6 and 8 wt HMG when they came out but felt too stiff for me too!

#1013356 - 09/02/19 03:38 PM Re: Vintage Score [Re: blackmouth]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: blackmouth
While the reel that you have is smaller in diameter I believe that it is also a side casting reel.

That's fn cool vid demo! Even back in the day they could give a great tutorial.

Edited by RUNnGUN (09/02/19 03:39 PM)

#1013357 - 09/02/19 04:31 PM Re: Vintage Score [Re: RUNnGUN]
avidangler
Unregistered

Turns out I got rid of that old medalist. Bummer. I'll have to find a suitable reel for this .

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 987 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |