Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101404 - 12/18/00 08:52 AM Worms and floats
RichH Offline
Parr

Loc: Salem, OR
For those that do much rubber worm fishing, when fishing slow water, do you generally get a bobber down type bit or do they play with it a bit and how long do you wait before setting the hook?

------------------

#101405 - 12/18/00 01:22 PM Re: Worms and floats
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I fish the worm alot on a jighead below a float and have on occasion had the float tip on it's side and lay there.......that's a fish, I had it happen this morning fishing a jig. Always set the hook! Especially if you know you are fishing shallower than the bottom.

#101406 - 12/18/00 03:17 PM Re: Worms and floats
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
HI JIGMAN,

#101407 - 12/18/00 03:21 PM Re: Worms and floats
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
hi jigman, i was wondering if sometime if you was wanting to teach someone how to fish jig and bobber, if not its cool, cuz it goes like this, i was fishing yesterday and i was using jig and bobber but i couldnt find the depth, how do you tell how deep it is? its like i would see my bobber dunk as it hit a rock and i would push the stopper up a lil and so on and it jus got to the point where i was guessin how far i was off the bottom, but anyways i switched back to corkie and hooked a fish, i jus dont have the confidence with a jig, how long did it take you to pick up this type of fishing.. thanks **schitzo**

#101408 - 12/18/00 04:32 PM Re: Worms and floats
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Let me give you my opinion on the float thing. (Worth less than a cup of coffee in most states). There is a somewhat average depth in most of the flats you fish with a jig, as well as the deeper holes. For you to fish different parts of the hole, you may have to adjust. If you run through a hole, and hit a rock, that's fine. Adjust your drift to the inside or outside of that rock, so you can hit the areas where the fish are likely to hold. Don't be afraid to cast beyond your rock, and suck it back behind it. They'll lay in that slot too.

It isn't any different than metering mono on a fly reel for chuckin and duckin in snag infested water. You run in to a snag, bust your line, re-rig your line and strip another foot or tow in order to fish the far edge. Otherwise, shorten up your drift a couple of feet and fish the inside edge of the snag. Floats allow you to do the same thing, but you're dialed in a little more visually than drift fishing. If you run them right, you'll stay above most of your snags. Also, the fish will move up on your jig/bait, so don't be afraid to run them a little higher in the water column. Run your float in lanes, and break the water down the same way a chuck and ducker does it. If you fish it, they will come.

Jigman, your turn to take over. Sorry I intruded. Remember, you'll always catch more fish with what you keep in the water most often. It's all about confidence. Ask the Rat about yarn fishing in the mighty Pacific Northwest.

#101409 - 12/18/00 06:57 PM Re: Worms and floats
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
Jigman, I was wondering what kind of worm you use on the jig heads. I like the 4" Yamaguchi with the curly tail. I usually pinch off a little bit of the worm before I snug it up to the jig head.

Justin

#101410 - 12/18/00 08:34 PM Re: Worms and floats
Jigman Offline
Spawner

I also use the Yamaguchi worm in 4" and pinch an inch off the head before I put it on the jighead. The curly tail is nice, I've had times when I've seen the fish and swung it in front of them and had them slam it. As for the depth to fish a jig below a float it comes with experience but from what I've seen you don't have to fish them very deep. I usually fish my jig around 2 feet in most holes and adjust from there. Some slots that you know are shallower you run it accordingly. The fish will usually move up quite a bit to hit them, as a general rule keep it a foot or so off the bottom and you'll get fish.

#101411 - 12/19/00 01:08 AM Re: Worms and floats
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
My partner and I fish the vision worms religously, yes I am with the company but you better be able to fish em if you are going to sell em, anyways we put on a clinic with the 4 " pre-rigged ones aweek or two ago, people could not believe we were catching fish on them. We caught more than all other anglers combined, and it is brainless fishing. What happens when fishing the worms is that you usaully get train wreck strikes because that worm has entered that fishes space with out clearance! I think the light bites is bull****, it just may be a fish passing by it or hitting it with it's body. My experience in all the testing I have done is just about always a very violent take down.
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#101412 - 12/19/00 10:08 PM Re: Worms and floats
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Look for a tip on fishing the pink worm below a float from Rainbow Jigs in the next issue of Salmon Trout Steelheader Magazine.

#101413 - 12/20/00 02:42 AM Re: Worms and floats
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
Rainbow jigs sent me a catalog and wouldn't you know it, but I accidentally stapled it to the back of my X-Mas wish list and even did the courtesy of highlighting the jigs that I want. Let's just hope my girlfriend clues in on it.

Justin
CEO, Sauk River Steelhead Ranch

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 575 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |