Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1014035 - 09/18/19 10:56 AM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: Salmo g.]
DBS Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: worshington
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Can someone explain the difference between yellowtail and yellowfin tuna? I heard that yellowtail will sound by diving 300 feet deep in seconds, and then you spend however long it takes trying to work them back up from the depths.

i've caught a lot of both and after some initial runs away from the boat, I've had yellowtail dive straight down and its lots of work to reel them up that way. imo Yellowfin tuna fight crazier and didn't usually dive as much as 'tails....but i love to eat yellowtail........sushi especially

#1014043 - 09/18/19 12:36 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: DBS]
avidangler
Unregistered

One is a tuna and one isn't. That's the main difference between the two.

#1014045 - 09/18/19 12:50 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: avidangler
One is a tuna and one isn't. That's the main difference between the two.

This ^^

A yellowtail is a pelagic fish from the amberjack family.

Danny, come on over and get some...hell, come get some yellowfin, too. I am eating it as fast as I can and I am pretty sure I will still have some left by the time this trip rolls around next year wink

We caught plenty of yellowfin, which while a bit tastier than albacore, don't fight as well as albacore, at least not the 25-30 pound variety. I know they get waaayyy bigger, but that's the size we were catching.

The yellowtail...one morning we pulled up to a kelp paddy about the size of my dining room table, and starting with the first cast and ending a few hours later we had multiple fish on the entire time, non-stop. They do like to get into that kelp, though, and anyone who didn't know how to fight a fish lost quite a few that way.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1014053 - 09/18/19 06:43 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: Todd]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Todd, What kind of trip did you do?....a multi day out of San Diego? That’s a trip I’d like to do someday and likely the only way I’d go back to Mexico.

One trip I took out of Nuevo Vallarta the captain brought a load of palm fronds and created his own flotsam. It seemed that any shade on the water attracted fish. We’d troll for a couple hours or go fish the rocks then come back to the “kelp” and surprisingly catch fish. smile.

I’ve heard about guys out of Westport that occasionally catch Yellowtail, especially the El Niño years when the currents are favorable. I know that there’s been Marlin and Opaka caught out of Westport and think that’d be pretty cool to tangle with but my personal code requires me to release all billfish....the Opaka gets eaten.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#1014054 - 09/18/19 06:44 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: dwatkins]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Correction.....it was out of Mazatlan not Nuevo Vallarta.

#1014055 - 09/18/19 07:00 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: dwatkins]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
This thread is the best thing on the dark side in months.

And look at that - when you set politics aside, people who fish forget about their differences, and find commonality.

Thanks for the info, fellas. I got new plans to make. thumbs

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1014058 - 09/18/19 09:58 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: Dan S.]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

I agree Dan. I’ve gotten sick of politics, hate and division and I’m tired of looking for differences to exploit. I’d rather find some common ground, or at least neutral ground where name calling and anger are set aside in favor of good conversation and laughter.

I check in here often but I decided awhile ago to not get involved in the arguments since all it does is foster animosity. I’m generally a fun loving and jovial guy in real life and I see no reason why I should be any different online.

I recently watched one of my best friends and my favorite fishing buddy waste away and die from cancer leaving behind a beautiful family and young grandsons with a huge hole in their lives. It’s those types of “experiences” in life that gives perspective on what’s really important.

Life is too short and too uncertain to waste it fighting over minutia and creating a persona that’s different from reality, at least that’s how it looks from where I’m standing.

Hunting, fishing, shooting, whiskey and women....those are the topics that interest me. Hell I’ll even talk about chickens, gardening, working out or damn near anything other than politics.

I’m still an asshole but my contributions here will hopefully not reflect that truth. Lolol

#1014061 - 09/19/19 06:48 AM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: dwatkins]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

http://www.fishpegasus.com/

The trip was put together by a colleague in LA, and it was work-related enough that my trip and food was paid for, all I needed was a round trip ticket to San San Diego, $$$ for tips and beer onboard (food was provided, actual chef onboard)...and about $500 to get all my fish home.

Flew down on a Friday morning, boat left the dock at 7pm, and ran all night...fished all day Saturday, all day Sunday, and Monday til noon.

The boat fishes up to 22 people, but we only had 14 onboard, with 5 crew members (two captains, two deckhands, and the chef).

The boat caught half a dozen bluefin, too, but nothing over 50, and none by me. We ran into a few schools of them but they would not bite.

Fish on...

Todd

#1014075 - 09/19/19 11:36 AM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: Todd]
avidangler
Unregistered

Bluefin are the fkn bomb ! A friend of mine has been trying to get me to go on a boat down there and fish yellowfin and yellowtail but he gets sick and I want to do a more extended trip if I'm gonna fork over all that coin. I want more long range where we can get into some cows and some wahoo as well. I like eating the wahoo and dorado as much as the yellowtail. It's all good.

#1014078 - 09/19/19 12:06 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: Todd]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks Todd, that sounds like one hell of a good time. It’s been something I’ve thought about doing and now might have moved up a few spots on the bucket list.

#1014083 - 09/19/19 01:17 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: RowVsWade]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
I agree Dan. I’ve gotten sick of politics, hate and division and I’m tired of looking for differences to exploit. I’d rather find some common ground, or at least neutral ground where name calling and anger are set aside in favor of good conversation and laughter.

I check in here often but I decided awhile ago to not get involved in the arguments since all it does is foster animosity. I’m generally a fun loving and jovial guy in real life and I see no reason why I should be any different online.

I recently watched one of my best friends and my favorite fishing buddy waste away and die from cancer leaving behind a beautiful family and young grandsons with a huge hole in their lives. It’s those types of “experiences” in life that gives perspective on what’s really important.

Life is too short and too uncertain to waste it fighting over minutia and creating a persona that’s different from reality, at least that’s how it looks from where I’m standing.

Hunting, fishing, shooting, whiskey and women....those are the topics that interest me. Hell I’ll even talk about chickens, gardening, working out or damn near anything other than politics.

I’m still an asshole but my contributions here will hopefully not reflect that truth. Lolol

I hear you. thumbs

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1014088 - 09/19/19 01:45 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: dwatkins]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

It was well worth it.

Avid, they do get dorado on that trip, and bonito, too, but we didn't run into any. The fishing was so good where we were that we didn't go far enough to get into water warm enough to guarantee dorado.

When we woke up on Saturday morning we could still see the very top of The Coronados when we got on our first school of yellowfin...buy Saturday evening we were far south of that, and well far south of that Sunday and Monday, but we didn't run more than 25 or 30 miles on Friday night.

Fish on...

Todd

#1014089 - 09/19/19 01:57 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: dwatkins]
DBS Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: worshington
if any y'all don't like multiday trips you can take a overnighter trip out of H&M or point loma san diego and get into yellowfin, dorado, some bluefin and 'tails on a good day in the right season.....iused to take limited load boats on weekdays to avoid the big crowds

#1014092 - 09/19/19 02:36 PM Re: Where’s Todd and Stan? [Re: DBS]
avidangler
Unregistered

I wanna do a 10 day trip to clarion island,however long they do it. That's where you get the big hogs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |