Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1014186 - 09/21/19 08:05 AM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: Bay wolf]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
Looks like that huge predicted coho run got overfished in the ocean. Good thing everybody has a big water boat and already got all the coho they want. Nobody fishes the sound or rivers anyway.

Actually the Chehalis has been good to us , limited on Monday, only got one yesterday as tides weren't as cooperative as Monday. But others are also catching fish in the river. And yeah, we got a big boat, that's why we bought it so we could go out in the "big water" to catch fish. If you don't go out in the river and catch fish it's because you spend too much time behind a keyboard. And as far as "over fishing" in the ocean, the reality is that there is a huge warm water issue in the ocean off our coast that has driven the baitfish out and caused smaller fish and a smaller run. I don't recall you ever posting ANY reports on catching fish, maybe you should go out and have some fun. bob r

#1014187 - 09/21/19 08:29 AM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Interesting...I've watched the "fish caught numbers" all summer long, Neah Bay, LaPush, Westport, Willapa Bay, and Columbia River. I could see a "shortage problem" starting to show in mid summer and continue forward.

Numbers is the "Coho Quota" were MUCH greater than the numbers of Coho being caught. I'm surprised that there isn't more of ocean areas being reduced, effective immediately......there is a problem, isn't rocket science to see what should be done......grrrrrrr to the politics of fish management.

I also want to comment of the WDFW memo about all the cuts that will happen if the $26 million supplemental isn't approved...… Duh, WDFW needs to find out why the general public has stopped purchasing licenses, license plates, other items. I can think of some right off hand...Columbia River, Willapa Bay, Wynoochee Mitigation....to name a few.

Enjoy any fishing you have now.... days/limits could be numbered. Another example of "pay your money, then start cutting opportunity"..double grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by DrifterWA (09/21/19 08:51 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1014191 - 09/21/19 11:32 AM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Forgot to mention. A pod of killer whales came through mid morning. I imagine that affected the bite.

#1014194 - 09/21/19 01:14 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

The fish gods have been very generous to me this year so far.
I've had a couple days this year that I won't forget.

#1014196 - 09/21/19 03:06 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
There have been a number of reports. I do get out and fish just not a lot around here as it is just not what I like. But, in the few years we have Wyoming, Hawaii, Tasmania, Queensland, Washington, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Iceland. Been doing some hunting, too, when we are not on trips.

#1014226 - 09/22/19 06:22 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
fever Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Around Eagle Point, a pod of whales came through alright. we moved away from the cluster of boats, off the common fishing hot spots and watched whales from 1/4 to 1/2 mile from us while the bite got hot and we caught our last four coho in about an hour by looping through a tide rip.

I used to think Orcas in the area would chill the bite, but that turned into a myth for us.

If they're eating Chinoook, then why would coho even care since they're not on the menu?

#1014238 - 09/22/19 11:39 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
I did a pre-derby test fishery on Friday to include both sides of Possession then across to PNP and ending at Foulweather Bluff. Maybe it was just me.....but of those guys out there I didn't see any action. On the run back into Possession Sound I came up behind a pod of Orcas heading north. Word from neighbors on the beach was that there were two NOAA boats moving with the Orcas.

Saturday fished Possession early but no action then off to Scatchet Head for the tide change. One wild fish released and one long distance release of what I believe was a wild fish fish (otherwise it would have been a contender). One boat with two guys said 5 wild and no keepers. And then the Orcas returned heading out Admiralty; quite a show to include one which did two breaches which I rated as 9s.

Given my recent history the announced reduction to one silver/day won't hinder my production rate.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1014243 - 09/23/19 11:33 AM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
blenny Offline
Fry

Nailed coho in MA7 9/15 and 9/16 but its not a mark selective area which would have been a bummer. About 50:50 clipped and unclipped. The three of us in the boat had limits within a couple of hours each of the two days I fished. Glad I got out there before they lowered the limit to 1. Reports are that the outside of SJI still has a hot coho bite as of this past weekend. Decent amount of 3" herring around where I was fishing of which the coho seemed to be feasting on.

#1014250 - 09/23/19 01:54 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I saw the best Coho fishing I've ever seen anywhere in northern MA 9 Saturday.
We had multiple doubles and triples late morning once in the middle of the tide. After landing and releasing our 17th wild fish in a row, we left and ran down to MA 10 just so we could keep something and bonked a couple more.

The Dept.'s decision to go to one fish was premature IMO. There are a ton of Coho out there and the big ones are still coming. The avergage size is up to as stated by fish buyers who track avg weights. I just dont get this decision. I understand being conservative, however there were strong indications of a late and large run. Also I don't think I can recall seeing something reopen after it has been closed like this. Guess its great for at least one user group who influenced the decision, & will have very full totes this year :|

#1014300 - 09/24/19 01:08 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Fished the Everett coho derby Saturday. Started at the Oil Docks with a couple hundred other boats. Heard of some radio fish but nary a nibble for me and didn't see a single net around me.

After several hours decided to get away from the crowd and move over to Jeff Head. Turned out to be a good move. Got into a hot bite and hit 5 fish <45 minutes.

Lost the first three, one felt really good but somehow my snap swivel popped open and I lost the fish and all my gear. Never had that happen before. Not sure if I just didn't get it closed all the way or the previous fish had worked it open.

Hit the next two, both pretty much cookie cutters. Weighed one in at 5.32. Got home and realized I'd actually weighed in the slightly smaller one. But not much difference in results either way.

At the weigh in a guy came up with two black mouth. The Game Warden working the booth was unimpressed. Confiscated the fish and was talking to his manager on the phone about what to do. Both were small and hatchery so it sounded like the guy may have gotten off with a written warning.

Fished before work this morning with a buddy expecting good fishing. Hit two small ones right away (the first as soon as my buddy took his hand off the rod on the first drop). Released both thinking we could high grade, but then it was dead until 5 minutes before we had to pack up. Hooked a double, I got mine ~5lbs and my buddy lost the other. Had another good take down a couple minutes later we missed. Unfortunately couldn't stay any longer.

Edited by BossMan (09/24/19 03:11 PM)

#1014406 - 09/26/19 08:36 AM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
The danger of releasing the first fish landed! If you kept the first fish it would have been lights out an a nice grade of fish I'm sure lol

Nice report.
I want to be a fisherman.

#1014455 - 09/26/19 11:12 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: BossMan]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: BossMan
Fished the Everett coho derby Saturday. Started at the Oil Docks with a couple hundred other boats. Heard of some radio fish but nary a nibble for me and didn't see a single net around me.

After several hours decided to get away from the crowd and move over to Jeff Head. Turned out to be a good move. Got into a hot bite and hit 5 fish <45 minutes.

Lost the first three, one felt really good but somehow my snap swivel popped open and I lost the fish and all my gear. Never had that happen before. Not sure if I just didn't get it closed all the way or the previous fish had worked it open.

Hit the next two, both pretty much cookie cutters. Weighed one in at 5.32. Got home and realized I'd actually weighed in the slightly smaller one. But not much difference in results either way.

At the weigh in a guy came up with two black mouth. The Game Warden working the booth was unimpressed. Confiscated the fish and was talking to his manager on the phone about what to do. Both were small and hatchery so it sounded like the guy may have gotten off with a written warning.

Fished before work this morning with a buddy expecting good fishing. Hit two small ones right away (the first as soon as my buddy took his hand off the rod on the first drop). Released both thinking we could high grade, but then it was dead until 5 minutes before we had to pack up. Hooked a double, I got mine ~5lbs and my buddy lost the other. Had another good take down a couple minutes later we missed. Unfortunately couldn't stay any longer.

Wasn’t a green hoochie and white flasher by chance?

#1014480 - 09/27/19 10:42 AM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: Blktailhunter]
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Nope, 8" Green/Glow flasher and Green GSB.

I did find someones cut plug herring in one of the fish's belly.

#1014500 - 09/27/19 12:44 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: BossMan]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: BossMan
Nope, 8" Green/Glow flasher and Green GSB.

I did find someones cut plug herring in one of the fish's belly.

Was asking because On Sunday a friend hooked a 12” flasher that was trailing a green hoochie in MA10 that had a 5lb coho hooked on the hoochie.

#1014568 - 09/29/19 01:28 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
OK here goes:

Chehalis River--101 Bridge to above Fuller Bridge...Coho fishing has been very good for those putting in the time or just chit house lucky. 101 Bridge to South Monty boat launch, lot's of boat people trolling but there are areas where bankies are catching fish, casting spinners...no doubt about it, the Chehalis River is more of a boaters river....big water, very little access for the bank bound angler. Many of the guides have been fishing the area to the East of Fuller Bridge.

There is some bank access in areas above South Monty and below Fuller Bridge, I'm not saying where the those areas are BUT a little time driving and finding where cars/trucks are parked could be a indicator.

Chehalis River---101 Bridge heading West, 98% of the fishing in this area is from a boat but there is some limited bank access. I do not fish this part of the Chehalis River but am in contact with those that do, fishing has been good at times.

OH, QIN gill netters and set netters, went in today at 12:00.....I posted the QIN and NT schedules, look for it. There will be less fish for the sports fishing public in the Chehalis River.

Oh, Satsop and Wynoochee open on 10/01, there could be some very good fishing...high water at times in the past few weeks, HAD TO GOT FISH INTO THESE 2 Rivers.

Good Luck..

Lots of small Coho and Coho jack fishing has been good.....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1014571 - 09/29/19 07:08 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Was happy to get lucky Saturday. First time taking the sled on Chehalis. Went up from keys rd and found great water quickly. Had our first coho on eggs within 30 minutes. I later hooked a nice size King on eggs. Lots of twitching and spinners and those were our only two hookups of the day.

#1014572 - 09/29/19 09:32 PM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

been getting quite a few on the PEWK for the last couple weeks....

#1014644 - 10/01/19 08:48 AM Re: Any coho reports? [Re: ned]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |