Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1016571 - 11/05/19 06:22 AM Forks Area River Closed
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Must be really bad? How are the tribes dealing w/ it?

Quillayute River and tributaries (Sol Duc, Dickey, Bogachiel, and Calawah rivers) to close to fishing

#1016572 - 11/05/19 07:13 AM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: RUNnGUN]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

November 1, 2019

Quillayute River and tributaries (Sol Duc, Dickey, Bogachiel, and Calawah rivers) to close to fishing

Action: Closes to all fishing.

Effective date: Nov. 4, 2019 through Nov. 22, 2019.

Species affected: All fish species.

Location: Quillayute River and tributaries (including Sol Duc, Dickey, Bogachiel and Calawah rivers).

Reason for action: Early season abundance indicators confirm the returning Quillayute River wild coho salmon run is below harvestable levels. This conservation measure is necessary to allow more fish to reach the spawning grounds in order to meet wild escapement goals.

Additional information: The Quileute Tribe, Olympic National Park, and WDFW have agreed to close their respective fisheries to protect wild coho. The rivers will re-open to fishing on Nov. 23, 2019, when coho have cleared the fishing area. See special rules for each river in the Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet. Wild coho release will remain in effect for all rivers.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1016578 - 11/05/19 09:51 AM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I guess it is easier to just shut everything down then just have you release any wild coho you might encounter.
SF

#1016597 - 11/05/19 04:05 PM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: RUNnGUN]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
We had some great days on the sol duc this year. Some of the best I've ever had.

I think it has more to do with low water than bad returns...

Hoh is going to be busy...

Edited by thaxor (11/05/19 04:06 PM)

#1016614 - 11/05/19 06:47 PM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: RUNnGUN]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I made a few trips. Here is what I saw and info I gathered from locals I trust when I get reports.

The Coho run did not materialize like they had predicted. I heard of 1 good day on the Quileute where most people got fish or limited on hatchery Coho.

Seemed like the ratio was at best 4 or 5 Un-Clipped fish to every 1 Hatchery fish. I saw a # of days where it was very spotty. A few fish, then nothing for sometimes hours. The internet etc has more people going over there. A lot of those people have NO CLUE as to what the proper way is to release a fish or the tools (pliers) to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Hooking Mortality of Wild Coho was taken into consideration. When you see people dragging Wild fish up on the bank, struggling to get the hook out and then kicking the fish back in, it hurts us all. A lot of people are ignorant and are bringing that mentality over there. I do know the Quileute tribe has sat across the river over the years and watched the poor practices and have relayed those feelings to the state and park officials. It was a smart move.
I did suggest to a park official that they make an effort to educate the people that fish the park on how to take care of a fish so it has the best chance to survive. Seeing dead, chrome Coho floating down the river from being hooked is not a good thing if you are trying to keep a river open.

#1016617 - 11/05/19 07:50 PM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: RUNnGUN]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Blu, if you think "outsiders" use bad practices for release and locals do not, then you have not been paying attention.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1016620 - 11/05/19 09:12 PM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: RUNnGUN]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I never said the locals are not doing the same thing. I pay attention to lots of things. When you see multiple groups showing up of 5, 8, 10, 12 people it changes things. Some have a clue, some don't. In some cases it just multiplies the issues.

#1016627 - 11/06/19 07:39 AM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: RUNnGUN]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Hanker I totally understand and agree. I made phone calls on that one reminding government officials that it had happened in the past more than once.

I was giving my thoughts about the Coho shutdown. The park going to "release all wild fish" has created some issues since the rules took affect. Lots of encounters with fish having to be released. I've been told that the tribe has brought up their concerns in discussions/negotiations.

#1016744 - 11/08/19 10:44 AM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: RUNnGUN]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Classic shortsighted hankster...heaven forbid anyone forgives or move on from stupidity in the past to make progress in the present!
Let's all just jump on the bigot train and point fingers while getting nothing done, hanks the poster child (pun definitely intended)

Meanwhile despite what thaxor might have said I certainly didn't see that good of fishing, as did my guide friends.
We also have only 50% of egg take at the humptulips hatchery, and the grays harbor coho have ceased, for the time being, to be showing up in good numbers.

But ya, no cause for worry let's just let all the guides from puget sound come on out and pound on the stocks as well...tell your buddies as well, never been a better time to be a joke ass fishing guide, I'd LOVE to go earn a killer check off of [Bleeeeep!] a public and publicly funded resource for my own personal profit while giving absolutely dick back to it.

Seems like a win/win for the future
#maga2020

#1016760 - 11/08/19 04:00 PM Re: Forks Area River Closed [Re: On The Swing]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: On The Swing
Classic shortsighted hankster...heaven forbid anyone forgives or move on from stupidity in the past to make progress in the present!
Let's all just jump on the bigot train and point fingers while getting nothing done, hanks the poster child (pun definitely intended)

Meanwhile despite what thaxor might have said I certainly didn't see that good of fishing, as did my guide friends.
We also have only 50% of egg take at the humptulips hatchery, and the grays harbor coho have ceased, for the time being, to be showing up in good numbers.

But ya, no cause for worry let's just let all the guides from puget sound come on out and pound on the stocks as well...tell your buddies as well, never been a better time to be a joke ass fishing guide, I'd LOVE to go earn a killer check off of [Bleeeeep!] a public and publicly funded resource for my own personal profit while giving absolutely dick back to it.

Seems like a win/win for the future
#maga2020

I did skip the [Bleeeeep!] show on the quill this year and sought out some less heckled water. Obviously n=1 observation isn't gospel.
I did have a good season so far though, on the hump for kings and duc/hoh for silvers.
Hopefully egg take gets met and if it needs to get shut down so be it.

I echo the guide comment... it seems to have gotten exponentially worse the last 5 years.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |