Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101811 - 12/23/00 12:24 AM Curado, Right - Handed
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I'm right handed, and use the right- hand rewind curado. Is it just me, or do I have company? Cast with R. hand switch to L. and reel with R. holding drift rod in L. hand.

#101812 - 12/23/00 12:42 AM Re: Curado, Right - Handed
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Add to above, I prefer the 6.2 to 1 to the 5 to 1. Mostly drift or bobber & jig fish with this reel. Use it mostly on a G. lommis IMX 1025 w/ a mod-fast action.

#101813 - 12/23/00 02:26 AM Re: Curado, Right - Handed
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
I do the same thing. My brother in-law who guides, fights me on this all the time. I feel that whatever is comfortable for each person is fine. He at some time has put the rod in his left hand to net a fish. I am sure that we are in the majority as most reels sold are right hand reels, and most people are right handed. Either that, or a lot of lefthanders fish. Both ways catch fish.

#101814 - 12/23/00 02:57 AM Re: Curado, Right - Handed
Holiday market Offline
Alevin

Loc: Burlington, WA, USA
You are obviously right spooled, but I have lost fish with my r/h reels after setting, but not my l/h. When hitting a fish with a r/h reel - You HIT, then you have to transfer hands BEFORE you can reel. Hitting a fish inevitably brings it closer to you. The combination of you hitting a fish, and then lowering the rod to transfer before you can begin to reel creates slack in your line. Hence, lost fish. A r/h person with a l/h reel can hit a fish with his r/h and immediately begin to reel to keep the line tight. I always encourage a r/h person to reel with a l/h reel. You reel l/h with a spinning reel don't you.

------------------

#101815 - 12/23/00 12:25 PM Re: Curado, Right - Handed
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Right handed........used right hand reel for years......changed about 15 years ago.....cast right handed, have left handed reels, Curado, Calcutta, and others.

Agree that if you can use a spinning reel, then you can use a left handed level wind.

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#101816 - 12/24/00 12:07 AM Re: Curado, Right - Handed
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
Holiday Market. I know it sounds funny, but I am right handed and am more comfortable with the rod in my left hand. Go figure! I reel with my right hand on a spinning reel also. I do not seem to lose a lot of fish. I can hit a baseball as easily left handed as right, but can't throw, cast or golf left handed. I also cast using both hands a lot of times like those surf fishermen, so I can keep either hand on the rod at that point. I am certainly not an expert at casting. I still believe it is personal preference. It's just I always here people using left hand reels making a big deal of it. Kinda like they are trying to justify there preference. Personally I could care less what hand a person reels with as long as they are having fun. Have a great Christmas
Troy

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 344 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |