Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1020287 - 01/17/20 11:45 AM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

You can check out the Quinault bank guide thread on I-fish if you really want to read all the excuses.

#1020292 - 01/17/20 01:19 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

We've been discussing that 2-salts seem to be the least present these days, which is bizarre on its face. It makes zero sense that fish that mature faster should be the least numerous contingent of an overall population. That said, the data seem to point to that conclusion. As I understand it (not all that well), the QIN programs use the biggest fish they can find. Some of those are likely repeat spawners, but most are likely just 3-4 salt fish on their first spawning return. Anyway, if fish with longer life histories are faring better than those with shorter ones, it might explain why the hatchery fish from the QIN programs are doing better than others (if still not very well). Another thing to consider is that the habitat in the Quinault and Queets drainages is the best habitat left in the state, and that might mean better returns per spawner invested...

#1020295 - 01/17/20 01:44 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Just came out today

Quinault Indian Nation
POST OFFICE BOX 189 » TAHOLAH, WASHINGTON 98587 • TELEPHONE (360) 276-0211
Humptulips River and Area 2C Commercial Fishing Regulation- 03 Winter Steelhead Season 2019*2020
January 14, 2020
This regulation replaces regulation #2 for the remaining January schedule in order to revise set-in and pull-out dates and times. The Humptulips River, from its mouth upstream to the railroad bridge at Newton, and Grays Harbor Area 2C, will be open for commercial gill net fishing for authorized Quinault Tribal fishers according to the following schedules.
The winter fishery will begin at 6:00 am on the opening day and end at 6:00 pm on the closing dayofeachweek. Openingandclosingdatesareasfollows;
Stat Wk 1
04 05
Set-in
Monday, Jan. 20 Monday., Jan. 27
Pull-out
Friday, Jan. 24 Friday, Jan. 31
Gear: Maximum mesh size for these openings will be 6 Vi inches.
**A1! Green Sturgeon must be released immediately when encountered.
White Sturgeon Size Retention Restriction: Only White Sturgeon that fall within the legal size slot limits may be retained, during authorized commercial treaty fishery openings in the Humptulips River and Grays Harbor Area 2C. The lega,! slot size limit for White Sturgeon is 38 to 54 inches (as measured with fish lying flat on its side, tip of snout to the fork of the tail fin).
White Sturgeon must be measured immediately upon removal from net. Sturgeon outside of the legal size slots are to be immediately released. The removal, or mutilation, of the head .or tail of any sturgeon prior to delivery is prohibited.
The total subsistence bag limit per authorized fishermen for the season is 30 white sturgeon.
Tagged Encounters: Sturgeon with spaghetti tags, located near the top fin, should be reported to Quinault Fisheries as to: 1) tag number and color, 2) date and location caught, 3) length, and 4)
Humptulips 2019-20 Winter Commercial Steelhead Reg.- 03-Jan 14, 2020

I
16-JPN-E0E0 13:06 From:360E76468E
Paee:EXE
whether the fish was retained or released.
Sales of Fish: A fishermen may only sell their catch to authorized Quinault Nation Buyers with the following exception: a fisherman may sell no more than a daily total of 3 salmon and steelhead (combined) directly to consumers.
Boating Regulations: In addition, all boats participating in off-reservation treaty fisheries shall carry personal flotation devices (PFDs) and visual distress signals, in the number and manner required by 33 CFR Part 175, as adopted by QBC Resolution No. 13-383(A)-92,
All other provisions of the QIN Grays Harbor Fall and Winter Off-Reservation Salmon/Steelhead Fishing General Regulations will be in effect.
According to the General Regulations, it is each fisherman's legal responsibility to see that alJ catch is reported on the daily fish ticket. This includes: commercial, incidental sales, take-home, and ceremonial catch.
All catch must be reported each day for each ground (to be reported immediately after the fish are brought to shore, before the fish house closes, or if the fish house has already closed, then it must be reported by 12:00 noon the next day the fish house is open.
FishTickets: FishticketsshallbeissuedatthetimeofpurchaseusingtheQuinaultElectronic Fish Ticket System (QEFTS) per QIN Business Committee Resolution No. 18-104-97. Two receipts will be printed at the time of the transaction, each signed by the fisher (seller) and the buyer and each keeping a copy for their records. The electronic fish ticket will record the person- that actually caught the fish under a valid QIN permit Or authorization; his or her ED number, and the ground location number, if applicable, or a notation of drift netting. If a person is signing a fish ticket as an assistant, helper, or hired fisherman, the electronic fish ticket shall also include the name and identification number of the fisher being assisted.
All catch must be reported each day for each ground (to be reported immediately after the fish are brought to shore, before the fish house closes, or if the fish house has already closed, then it must be reported by 12:00 noon the next day
&L
Quinault Policy Spokesman
Off-Res. Fish Committee
Humptulips 2019*20 Winter Commercial Steelhead Reg.* 03-Jan 14, 2020

#1020296 - 01/17/20 02:46 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
We've been discussing that 2-salts seem to be the least present these days, which is bizarre on its face. It makes zero sense that fish that mature faster should be the least numerous contingent of an overall population. That said, the data seem to point to that conclusion. As I understand it (not all that well), the QIN programs use the biggest fish they can find. Some of those are likely repeat spawners, but most are likely just 3-4 salt fish on their first spawning return. Anyway, if fish with longer life histories are faring better than those with shorter ones, it might explain why the hatchery fish from the QIN programs are doing better than others (if still not very well). Another thing to consider is that the habitat in the Quinault and Queets drainages is the best habitat left in the state, and that might mean better returns per spawner invested...

That would be bizarre if 2-salts were absent every year and 3-salts were plentiful...but I would be far more worried about the likelihood that the 2 salts are absent because that entire age class died as juveniles, and this year's 3 salts were already a year old when that happened.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1020297 - 01/17/20 02:52 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Back when the Pyramid Lake cutthroat vanished, I think the last spawning run was averaged 20 pounds. Great run!. Next year it averaged zero as all that was in the run was old fish.

The lack of 1 salt and 2 salt returns should be scary because they should be most abundant. Unless, for whatever reason, the older fish were what was spawned in recent years and they are creating a run of 3-salts.

#1020299 - 01/17/20 03:08 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Todd]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Todd
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02

That would be bizarre if 2-salts were absent every year and 3-salts were plentiful...but I would be far more worried about the likelihood that the 2 salts are absent because that entire age class died as juveniles, and this year's 3 salts were already a year old when that happened.

Fish on...

Todd

Since we don't have a button, insert Like with sad face. Makes a lot of unfortunate sense.

#1020300 - 01/17/20 04:10 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Hanker
I’ve begrudgingly read it, and I’ve read Salmo’s anti hatchery fish propaganda there too. I know why the Quins are successful but thought I’d ask the question here because fuk Ifish.

[Bleeeeep!]! Where you getting this anti-hatchery propaganda little Hanker spanker? How's about put up, or shut up? I'm pro fish. That's hatchery fish and wild fish. I just explain differences between hatchery and wild fish when folks pose questions. If you interpret explanations as being anti hatchery fish, well then, I can't help it if you're stupid. And you probably can't either.

#1020301 - 01/17/20 04:15 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

How do the Quinault get back such good returns of hatchery Steelhead, but the State can’t seem to do the same. Why isn’t the State on the same program? I understand that the PS rivers have their own set of issues that might make any program difficult. Seems like the Quin’s or preferably the state, ought to be able to replicate their results in other coastal streams.

The fact is, we don't know that the Quinault get such good returns of hatchery steelhead because we don't know either the number of smolts released or an estimate of the number of adults that return. Without those numbers it's impossible to know if Quinault return rates are any better or worse than WDFW's. Since the Quinault is a coastal river, it probably gets a higher rate of return than Puget Sound rivers, but we have no idea if it is any better than other coastal rivers.

#1020302 - 01/17/20 04:30 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Basically why, if management is supposed to be Court-mandated "Co" we can't get the answers? It is possible that QIN is doing things "right" and if WDFW tried it we might have success.

Why won't WDFW ensure that all the numbers from egg takes to plants to escapements to returns to catch are rapidly and accurately reported and shared?

#1020304 - 01/17/20 06:31 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
Hatchery release info on steelhead by QIN can be obtained from the coastwide salmon and steelhead release data base RMPC.org. This data base shows steelhead smolts releases by QIN into the Quinault basin averaged 253K during 2009-17. As far as I know there is no corresponding data base of harvest and escapements in the Quinalt system so survival rates can't be calculated.

#1020336 - 01/18/20 02:45 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: darth baiter]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Originally Posted By: darth baiter
Hatchery release info on steelhead by QIN can be obtained from the coastwide salmon and steelhead release data base RMPC.org. This data base shows steelhead smolts releases by QIN into the Quinault basin averaged 253K during 2009-17. As far as I know there is no corresponding data base of harvest and escapements in the Quinalt system so survival rates can't be calculated.

I tried to go to the site you mentioned and was unable to reach it. Are there special permissions required or a slight difference in spelling? TIA.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1020350 - 01/18/20 05:13 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: eddie]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
No special permission required. Try google search on:
Regional Mark Processing Center.

#1020374 - 01/19/20 08:23 AM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

FYI. I have from a reliable Quinault tribal guide that the runs are way down this year so far. 3 days last week on the Salmon in perfect conditions 5 fish. It should be peaking now. We would do that per person in a day in good conditions. Seems to be following what's going on coast wide. The season is far from over, but it's beginning to appear even their program is struggling to get numbers back. I wonder how their brood collection is going on the lake?

#1020376 - 01/19/20 09:18 AM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Have not. Been only once and nothing going on, but not in the tribal area and in marginal conditions. Hard to buck up when I've experienced double digit days, and hear of lots less this season. Onesies twosies ain't it, but most might think that's hot. Double digit hookups per person, at least for my group, used to be the norm. Seems not this year. If you have a report please share. It's no secret any more.

Edited by RUNnGUN (01/19/20 09:21 AM)

#1020378 - 01/19/20 09:48 AM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
How do the Quinault get back such good returns of hatchery Steelhead, but the State can’t seem to do the same. Why isn’t the State on the same program? I understand that the PS rivers have their own set of issues that might make any program difficult. Seems like the Quin’s or preferably the state, ought to be able to replicate their results in other coastal streams.

The fact is, we don't know that the Quinault get such good returns of hatchery steelhead because we don't know either the number of smolts released or an estimate of the number of adults that return. Without those numbers it's impossible to know if Quinault return rates are any better or worse than WDFW's. Since the Quinault is a coastal river, it probably gets a higher rate of return than Puget Sound rivers, but we have no idea if it is any better than other coastal rivers.

What we do know is that they use in Basin stock for Hatchery steelhead and it's been incredibly successful over the years. Their Hatchery personnel there really care and handpick a lot of the larger size fish for their brood. There are other rivers as well that this has been successful but some rivers not so successful. Is a whole nother can of worms of science then I'm sure Salmo can fill you in on with the disadvantages using native stock for Hatchery steelhead but in the end, I think we all just want to see more fish.

#1020380 - 01/19/20 10:04 AM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: ]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

I’m well aware of the successes they’ve had as I sample it myself 30+ days per winter. I’ve talked to some of the tribal guys about what they’re doing. There is no doubt in my mind that the state could learn some things from those programs.

Yeah I forget the guys name up at the salmon river hatchery but he is very enthusiastic and loves his job. He always comes down and talks to folks and asks how everybody's doing. He sport fishes and gill nets and it is his livelihood so maybe that helps too.

Edited by cobble cruiser (01/19/20 10:05 AM)

#1020381 - 01/19/20 10:54 AM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: Salmo g.]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Friend of mine is fishing the lower Quinault yesterday and today and is doing well. Just texted me this morning.

#1020389 - 01/19/20 02:53 PM Re: Skagit Steelhead Season [Re: darth baiter]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Originally Posted By: darth baiter
No special permission required. Try google search on:
Regional Mark Processing Center.
Thank you my friend, I got in. Lots of information there,it will take some time to digest!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |